BC close to naming coach

**This is an opinion column and not a news story**

BC close to naming coach

By Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

It is starting to sound like Bridge City baseball will have a new coach sooner rather than later.

Websites have been busy as of late and phones are ringing non-stop as to who the new head Cardinal will be.

Bridge City officials postponed the announcement of a new coach Monday night in a school board meeting.

Rumors now are circling around Vidor’s Kyle Green.

Green has been heard to be mulling over the decision to take over the Bridge City job vacated by the reassignment of Billy Bryant.

Green’s Pirates have been to the playoffs the last two seasons, this year being the second place team out of the always tough 22-4A.

Leaving one post for another is always a tough decision for any coach at any level.

I can understand the apprehension myself.

Coaches just like some sports writers get attached to the kids they work so closely with on a daily basis.

It is hard sometimes to part with those relationships that are built.

Yet on the other side is another group of kids and sometimes a better opportunity to move up in your profession.

If Green is the man hired over the next few days, he will inherit yet another group of stellar athletes.

The Cardinals are in the midst of a great playoff run over the last four years which includes back-to-back trips to the state tournament.

Bridge City is probably not far from competing for another shot at a title again over the next few years.

This past year’s team was very young with just three, very productive seniors.

Two of the main pieces of the Bridge City puzzle will be juniors Matt Hicks and Joe Robertson who make up the Cardinals’ left side of the infield at third base and shortstop.

Hicks is also a dominating pitcher while Robertson seems to be becoming a perfect leadoff hitter.

Throw in guys like Blake Hubbard, Blake Snyder and Luke Rhodes just to name a few and if Green takes the job - the talent will be waiting on him.

It all boils down to the decision Green makes.

The decision will be is a tough one to make either way Green decides to go.

Guest Pirate V Ball

We'll know this afternoon!

Wrong again Coop?

Coop wasn't wrong. I 'm sure he talks to Green like i do. Let the man decide.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami