Number of black youths playing baseball declining

Batting practice and pitching practice are free(well, I guess you have to buy some balls).  I don't get these people who think you have to hire someone to do this stuff.  Find an empty field and get your lazy rear off the couch and go practice with your kid.  That's all they need for the first several years, and then coaches can take over.

I dont have enough money for my boys to go to camps all summer ,and hire someone to tell them how to throw or hit.I get out with them in the yard along with all the neighborhood kids and throw the ball to them.And I sure in the heck dont remember when I was growing up going to any camp.We stayed our butts outside and found a way to learn.You have to want to learn and quit making excuses .Some of the latin players come from the poorest neighborhoods and poorest countries but yet they find a way to play.

Its always about someone not having chances like other kids and thats the answer for everything.

Go get a dang glove,find a ball and out of all the kids in the neighborhood someone has to have a baseball bat.

If you can find a basketball and a basketball goal, you can find a glove and ball

Let me know when you can find those kind of deals on batting practice and pitching practice. ;)

An old tire tied around a tree is great for pitching practice.

Well, golly-gee-whiz lag...and here all of these people spend all of this money hiring people to make their children better.  While I have thrown the ball with my boys (in the past), I never played baseball or softball, so my boys wouldn't gain much from me pitching to them.  Besides, as I stated earlier, I just never really cared much for the whole little league baseball experience. ;) 

pf...I will only say that your comment was not a surprise. ::)

As far as people saying that baseball comes the old fashion way that is crap.  these kids come out of the womb with the private coaches waiting for these kids to take their first step.  I see the money the parents spend on have batting cages in their back yard the private lessons the kids attend the camps it does cost money.  I my self got my butt of the couch and tossed the ball with my children but when it came to little league the politics were out of this world.  I paid the same amount of money as the next family for my child to be on a team only to attend every practice and watch my child and others ride the pine all because my husband was not one of the 50 dads out there all wanting to be the head coach.  I had a coach tell me when my child was 9 maybe baseball was not for him.  Kind of funny because I dont see where his child received any offers to college.

I definitely have to agree that cost is probably the biggest obstacle.

I disagree. It's not the money, it's the sport.

Look at all the Latin players, they share gloves and bats as youngsters, in some of the poorest living conditions. 

[

/quote]    You have to be kidding.

MLB and the NCAA does a bad job marketing black baseball players.  when you look on the TV at the college world series, how many blacks do you see playing?  especially in this part of America.  you mean to tell me that there are no black players worthy of playing in the college world series?  yes, you see maybe 1 to 5 total. 

it's not that blacks don't play baseball.  as i recall, ozen, central, and memorial all have baseball teams.  to take it a step further, how many blacks are on all these select teams in southeast texas?  lack of money is one thing that i do agree with; and kids do need to get off their butts and go out and try to play.  but we all know it's all about exposure. and if a kid doesn't see he has a legitimate chance of playing professionally, due to maybe he can't even play on a local select team or at a local college, he tends to focus on something he feels he has a better chance succeeding at [like basketball or football].

i do know in the past 2 years, the first player taken/drafted was a black player.  but that still doesn't correct the problem when the next black kid doesn't get drafted until the later rounds.  so yes, i do agree with some of the remarks on this site.  but don't just stop there--like laziness is the only problem for the lack of blacks playing baseball.  because it's not.

take the postings to this site as another analogy of blacks and baseball.  of all the articles posted, whether they pertain to black players or white ones, those focusing on black players are read hundreds of times with no comments, or very few comments.  as in maybe 3.  but other postings about non-black players are read and commented on.  the kids read these posts, too.  what do you think that tells them?  that they don't get off their butts and play?  or their parents don't have the means to support their talents?  no.  it tells them their efforts go unnoticed on a smaller scale, so what do they have to look forward to when it comes to college or pro scouting of their skills?  again, they may be widely overlooked.

as far as blacks and latinos playing in the MLB goes, latinos will play despite being underpaid for their many talents on the field.  whereas blacks would like to get paid the same salaries as their non-black/latino counterparts are being rewarded.

As far as people saying that baseball comes the old fashion way that is crap.  these kids come out of the womb with the private coaches waiting for these kids to take their first step.  I see the money the parents spend on have batting cages in their back yard the private lessons the kids attend the camps it does cost money.  I my self got my butt of the couch and tossed the ball with my children but when it came to little league the politics were out of this world.  I paid the same amount of money as the next family for my child to be on a team only to attend every practice and watch my child and others ride the pine all because my husband was not one of the 50 dads out there all wanting to be the head coach.  I had a coach tell me when my child was 9 maybe baseball was not for him.  Kind of funny because I dont see where his child received any offers to college.

Typical excuses, Cardfan.  Your kid didn't get much playing time because he/she was not very good.  He/she was not very good because you and your husband failed to spend the time necessary to make them good.  Tossing the ball around a few times is not enough, so quit blaming politics/money/coaches and put the blame where it belongs. 

Typical excuses, Cardfan.  Your kid didn't get much playing time because he/she was not very good.  He/she was not very good because you and your husband failed to spend the time necessary to make them good.  Tossing the ball around a few times is not enough, so quit blaming politics/money/coaches and put the blame where it belongs. 

Wowheee....enlighten us westend1 (that could probably explain a lot)...where would that blame belong?

I would like to clarify your statement...it's not "you and your husband failed to spend the time necessary to make them good"...that statement should read...you and your husband failed to spend the money necessary to make them good.  Gosh...how did my son ever make it?  ::) (That was actually a joke!!!!!!)

I dont have a problem telling you he was not a great player or even a good player.  The kid had two left feet, but I paid the same money as others treat them fair.  I understand there is a time to say well this is not for me, but 9 years old is not the time.  He went out there to have fun and that fun was taken away from him by some fathers trying to relive their childhood dream and lives lives thru their kids.  Did I force him to play heck no.  The point I was trying to make and the point I am still trying to make at 9 years old they should all get the same chance.  I dont see any of the kids receiving a check for playing ball.  I am so glad you get parent of the year.

I must say that maybe I was to judgmental, and I apologize for that.  However, as a former coach, board memeber, field worker, concession manager, etc. I get tired of people trashing the volunteers who work so hard to make these leagues happen.  I'm just saying that if you want changes, get busy.  If your kid is good enough, they will get plenty of playing time.  If they are not so good, you better do more than "pay your money" if you want things to change. 

Again, I didn't pay for lessons, and I still believe that is just an excuse.  JMO

At 9 years old what happened to fun What was I to do tell him hey you suck as a baseball player so I guess I wont sign you up not at 9 sorry.  I was never in my life soooooooooooo glad when he said he didnt want to play again.  You know as well as I do it happens.

Here is the problem.  If we make it a feel good league, where everyone gets equal play time, the more competitive parents leave the league.  All we have left is the parents who want $90 babysitters.  The league suffers without the more competitve parents, who do all the work.  Attendance goes down and we are left with a struggling mess.  You  probably don't remember, but select ball almost destroyed little league a few years ago.  It has just now come back to retain the parents who have an interest in the league. 

Some parents don't undersand this, but, without the competitive kids(and their parents)  little league will no longer exist.

The odd thing is this way of thinking never changes, were having the same problems in the 25 and up baseball league on every team. Guys, who either have never picked up a ball or when they did they werent very good, are on the same team as ex high school and college standouts as well as ex pros.... The less experienced guys will argue endlessly as to why they should play in front of the better more experienced players. It comes down to the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the name on the back and the guys who are only there for themselves or who are there trying to impress their kids are exposed quickly.  My .02...

Stupid me...I thought YOUTH baseball (and all other youth sports for that matter) was supposed to

be FUN !!!!

My son has been playing since 5 years old at T-ball.  He is now in his 3rd year of Babe Ruth.  He has always been the smallest kid on each team he played on.  He has never had batting or other private coaching.  He doesn't want that...we have offered it to him.  He by no means is a great hitter, usually singles/doubles and he gets alot of walks..rarely strikes out...he usually plays left or center field, but he has also caught and played 2nd base... he has no intention of playing at the next level..he's smart enough to realize he doesnt have a chance, never has..  he just enjoys the team atmosphere and the game as it should be...for fun.  And ya know what??  I'm VERY proud of him for the attitude he exhibits.

(But he has made 4 All-Star teams, mainly because of his hustle and attitude and he is easily coachable...and NO, we didn;t play politics with the coaches)

good post YankeeDawg I agree.

thanks cardfan...we don't push our kids to do what we want them to do...we SUPPORT what THEY want to do.  ( please understand that I'm talking about activities and such).  I think you need to let kids live their lives as theirs...not living their lives thru their parents pasts...we have lived our lives already...they need to live theirs and make decisions, let them make mistakes, and let them learn from those mistakes...    just my opinion.

Here is the problem.  If we make it a feel good league, where everyone gets equal play time, the more competitive parents leave the league.  All we have left is the parents who want $90 babysitters.  The league suffers without the more competitve parents, who do all the work.  Attendance goes down and we are left with a struggling mess.   You  probably don't remember, but select ball almost destroyed little league a few years ago.  It has just now come back to retain the parents who have an interest in the league. 

Some parents don't undersand this, but, without the competitive kids(and their parents)  little league will no longer exist.

I completely agree.

As a coach, it's tough to balance the needs and desires of the less talented players with those of the more capable and competitive ones. If you try to please everybody you wind up pleasing no one.  The best you can do is do what you feel is right and stick to it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124