Orange Leader Baseball Athletes of the Year since 74

Thought this might be fun. Some of our posters have batted off or pitched against these former

local players or just watched them on the field. Who stood out, "I couldn't get this guy out" " He had my number at the plate" " When I coached against him, we never gave him anything to hit" 

Orange Leader Baseball Athletes of the Year

1974 — Paul Richardson, West Orange

1975 — Billy Bayliss, Stark

1976---- JE Lancaster, West Orange

1977 — Kim Bryant, Bridge City

1978 — Harlan Robertson, WO-S

1979 — Pat Meeks, Bridge City

1980l — Patt Meeks, Bridge City

1981 — Wade Phillips, WO-S

1982 — Mike Perkins, LC-M

1983 — Greg Choate, LC-M

1984 — Tony Dallas, WO-S

1985 — Shon Shelton, WO-S

1986 — Mike Stewart, LC-M

1987 — Brian Daniels, LC-M

1988 — Thad Chaddrick, Bridge City

1989 — Bruce Aven, WO-S

1990— Bo Mires, Bridge City

1991— Kelly Free, WO-S

1992— Steve Martin, Bridge City

1993 — Frankie Tays, LC-M

1994 — Stephen Gilbert, Deweyville

1995 — Kevin Kirby, Orangefield

1996 — John Patterson, WO-S

1997 — Beau Hale, LC-M

1998 — Jeremy Green, LC-M

1999 — Billy Burrow, LC-M

2000 — Josey Kelley, LC-M

2001— Chad Barbre, WO-S

2002 — Luther Sanders, Bridge City

2003 — Derek Blacksher, Bridge City

2004 — Shon Landry, LC-M

2005 — Kevin Angelle, Bridge City

2006— Kevin Angelle, Bridge City

2007— Johnny Dishon, Bridge City

2008 — Casey Jackson, Bridge City

I played against Mike Perkins (LCM 1982) in the playoffs. He was flat out bringing it. Our (Channelview) #9 hitter had two bloop singles over 1b for our only 2 hits. I remember fouling a pitch off and feeling pretty pleased with myself.  ;D We lost 6-0 and 2-1 the next night and my high school baseball career was over.  :(

Eagle07,,thinks for the memories.  I played on the LCM team in 1982 when we played Chanelview in the playoffs.  I pitched the second game and you are right, Perk could bring it.  Pretty intimadating to face a 6'4 200lb. pitcher who throw 90+ and had a nasty slider to back it up.

Eagle07,,thinks for the memories.  I played on the LCM team in 1982 when we played Chanelview in the playoffs.  I pitched the second game and you are right, Perk could bring it.  Pretty intimadating to face a 6'4 200lb. pitcher who throw 90+ and had a nasty slider to back it up.

No kidding.....small world.  You weren't too shabby either.  ;) You must be....is it Kip ? Is that correct ?  I remember you had some filthy breaking stuff. Also, knew you moved on to SHSU. A buddy of mine was at Sam then...didn't play much at all..Reid Fitzgerald from CV/Huffman.

By the way, I'm the ss/2b who took you deep to strightaway center for our only run.  ;) ;) 2-0 fastball. Didn't you guys lose in the next round to Tomball ? We were really surprised by that. We had played Tomball earlier in the season and thought you guys had the much better team.

You talk about a small world,, If you see Reid tell him Rip said hello.  He was one of my closest friends at Sam,  he practically lived at my trailor.  And yes I do remember the shot you hit out to start the game ( a memory I would like to forget).  We beat Tomball the next series and was then beat out by Austin Westlake that went on and won State that year.

You talk about a small world,, If you see Reid tell him Rip said hello.  He was one of my closest friends at Sam,  he practically lived at my trailor.  And yes I do remember the shot you hit out to start the game ( a memory I would like to forget).  We beat Tomball the next series and was then beat out by Austin Westlake that went on and won State that year.

That's right...Rip Matthews. Man, I haven't talked to Reid in a few years. Last I heard he was in Boerne.... has a couple of boys I believe.  I know his parents are in Galveston. I should look up Reid..for us. He and I were best friends from 1st grade up until we went off to college. Thanks for jogging my memory....I do remember now that it was Westlake that beat you guys.

Justme: To get the facts out there, Jeff Granger was the papers Male Athlete of the Year in 89 and 90. So Bruce Aven, WOS, was the baseball player of year in 89 and Bo Mires was the pick in 90.

As for as Zane Williams, he was the Male Athlete of the Year in 04 when Shon Landry of LCM was named.

I will not defend this year's selection of Baseball Player of the Year because no case is really needed

No kidding.....small world.  You weren't too shabby either.  ;) You must be....is it Kip ? Is that correct ?  I remember you had some filthy breaking stuff. Also, knew you moved on to SHSU. A buddy of mine was at Sam then...didn't play much at all..Reid Fitzgerald from CV/Huffman.

By the way, I'm the ss/2b who took you deep to strightaway center for our only run.  ;) ;) 2-0 fastball. Didn't you guys lose in the next round to Tomball ? We were really surprised by that. We had played Tomball earlier in the season and thought you guys had the much better team.

That's great stuff guys, just what the thread is about.

Hey Rip, I played Centerfield for BC in 1982, boy did we have some really hard fought games, do you ever hear from Perk? 

Man, no doubt. Exactly what I was thinking. Yet another reason why I think this site/forum is so great.

Justme: To get the facts out there, Jeff Granger was the papers Male Athlete of the Year in 89 and 90. So Bruce Aven, WOS, was the baseball player of year in 89 and Bo Mires was the pick in 90.

As for as Zane Williams, he was the Male Athlete of the Year in 04 when Shon Landry of LCM was named.

I will not defend this year's selection of Baseball Player of the Year because no case is really needed

And there you have it.  ;)

No kidding.....small world.  You weren't too shabby either.  ;) You must be....is it Kip ? Is that correct ?  I remember you had some filthy breaking stuff. Also, knew you moved on to SHSU. A buddy of mine was at Sam then...didn't play much at all..Reid Fitzgerald from CV/Huffman. By the way, I'm the ss/2b who took you deep to strightaway center for our only run.  ;) ;) 2-0 fastball. Didn't you guys lose in the next round to Tomball ? We were really surprised by that. We had played Tomball earlier in the season and thought you guys had the much better team.

*sniff ... sniff * Someone hand me a tissue, you guys are getting all sentimental and making me tear up  ;)

I was also at those Channelview games in '82 and remember the shot off he hit off you, Dip ... ouch. Good thing you shut them down after that and went on to win.  Matty may have gotten some of his pitching ability from the Matthews' genes ... but it's a good thing he does NOT take after you with his bat!  ;D

Hey hey. Im not trying to rip anyones list because this ia an excellent one. Just naming ttwo very good athletes that are or have played at that next level that would also bring a little nastalgia. sorry if i was misunderstood gabe.

SteelerCzy,, haven't talked to Perk since our 10 yr reunion.  He was living in the Dallas area then.  Yea the LCM and Bridge City games in 82 was something to see.  LCM home game was under protest by Coach Buff and then BC had to face Perk on their home field. 

SteelerCzy,, haven't talked to Perk since our 10 yr reunion.  He was living in the Dallas area then.  Yea the LCM and Bridge City games in 82 was something to see.  LCM home game was under protest by Coach Buff and then BC had to face Perk on their home field. 

Yeah the game in LCM was crazy, I was the runner on third (Skeet Johnson) when I tagged up and went to score and got tangled up with the third baseman, Coach Young sent me anyway and when I got tagged out at home the Ump called interference on the third baseman, Coach Buff hit the roof, crazy ending to the game.  The game in BC, well let's just say I would like to forget that memory, Perk was large and in charge in that game, Ya'll spanked us pretty good.

Guest Bulldog

Is Pat Meeks '79 and '80 related to Philip Meeks the pitcher also from BC?

yes Pat is Philip's dad

Pat's also my Step-Dad..... ;D

Hey hey. Im not trying to rip anyones list because this ia an excellent one. Just naming ttwo very good athletes that are or have played at that next level that would also bring a little nastalgia. sorry if i was misunderstood gabe.

Gotcha. I was just explaining why they werent baseball players of the year.

Your right Skeet, Buff hit the roof that night. (hit more then that in the fieldhouse) The player you were tangled up with was me covering third for some reason in the rundown. All these years I thought it was Wayne Scales. That game was pretty close to getting out of hand both on and off the field. Good old cross town rivalries ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami