Woodard’s hiring gets solid backing in coach fraternity

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

Some highlights from Bob West's article:

He came highly recommended by a couple of his former NFL coaches — Dan Reeves and Gary Kubiak. Dallas Cowboys head coach Wade Philips knows him well enough to think he’s a great choice.

Long time Bum Phillips assistant John Paul Young, who is part of a search firm that matches coaches with schools, gives the Woodard choice two thumbs up. His familiarity with Woodard includes having coached him with the Kansas City Chiefs and hired him in the Arena League and NFL Europe.

“I am so happy they went with him,†said Young. “If they had used us, we couldn’t have picked a better guy or a better coach for Lamar. One of the things we told Billy Tubbs was that he didn’t need a Dennis Franchione or one of those big name guys who would have just been passing through.

“What Lamar needs is somebody who can recruit and is willing to get down in the trenches and work, and Raymond will do that. I’ll tell you something else. He knows the difference between a player and a should be. He just has a knack for recognizing if a kid can play, and that is so important.â€

Among Woodard’s strongest non-coaching backers, meanwhile, is one of Lamar’s biggest financial boosters, Walter Umphrey. The high powered Beaumont attorney, who has been extremely generous in his donations to LU, admits Woodard won him over during a 30-minute visit when he was on his way to a meeting with Tubbs.

Whole article here: http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_140211259.html?start:int=0

Some highlights from Bob West's article:

He came highly recommended by a couple of his former NFL coaches — Dan Reeves and Gary Kubiak. Dallas Cowboys head coach Wade Philips knows him well enough to think he’s a great choice.

Long time Bum Phillips assistant John Paul Young, who is part of a search firm that matches coaches with schools, gives the Woodard choice two thumbs up. His familiarity with Woodard includes having coached him with the Kansas City Chiefs and hired him in the Arena League and NFL Europe.

“I am so happy they went with him,” said Young. “If they had used us, we couldn’t have picked a better guy or a better coach for Lamar. One of the things we told Billy Tubbs was that he didn’t need a Dennis Franchione or one of those big name guys who would have just been passing through.

“What Lamar needs is somebody who can recruit and is willing to get down in the trenches and work, and Raymond will do that. I’ll tell you something else. He knows the difference between a player and a should be. He just has a knack for recognizing if a kid can play, and that is so important.”

Among Woodard’s strongest non-coaching backers, meanwhile, is one of Lamar’s biggest financial boosters, Walter Umphrey. The high powered Beaumont attorney, who has been extremely generous in his donations to LU, admits Woodard won him over during a 30-minute visit when he was on his way to a meeting with Tubbs.

Whole article here:

This is the hidden content, please

Take that UNLV! ;D

Interesting: "Among Woodard’s strongest non-coaching backers, meanwhile, is one of Lamar’s biggest financial boosters, Walter Umphrey. The high powered Beaumont attorney, who has been extremely generous in his donations to LU, admits Woodard won him over during a 30-minute visit when he was on his way to a meeting with Tubbs."

So far, I am very impressed...the guy speaks like a winner and that attitude alone makes me feel good about the hire...this will not be an easy process, making LU footbal successful, but I like what I am hearing about and from the guy they chose to lead the ship.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124