Coach Woodard Info

Guest Ozen

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im curious UNLV, what choice would've made sense to you?

Someone with the shock value to get community support. The key to Lamar

football succeeding is winning and community support. I wanted a bigger stadium over VIP

, I still prefer both. A bigger stadium means more fans in the stands. If Lamar football had

never stopped, the Woodard choice would be ok. However this is a restart of a failed program.

A chance to make a new impression on SETX. A chance to forget the last 30 years.

There must be a big bang to get the program going. Foot to the floor spinning your wheels, a

full can of lighter fluid on your charcoal, a nuke, something big to start the program. Afterward,

then you start throttling down to something more realistic and at Lamar's level. Woodard can takeover

after the big bang. He will then have the experience at this level and acceptance by the community

the way Roc was accepted. We need the big bang start, something that will have all of SETX talking.

Woodard will only have people saying Who and Why.   :'(

football succeeding is winning and community support. I wanted a bigger stadium over VIP

, I still prefer both. A bigger stadium means more fans in the stands. If Lamar football had

never stopped, the Woodard choice would be ok. However this is a restart of a failed program.

A chance to make a new impression on SETX. A chance to forget the last 30 years.

There must be a big bang to get the program going. Foot to the floor spinning your wheels, a

full can of lighter fluid on your charcoal, a nuke, something big to start the program. Afterward,

then you start throttling down to something more realistic and at Lamar's level. Woodard can takeover

after the big bang. He will then have the experience at this level and acceptance by the community

the way Roc was accepted. We need the big bang start, something that will have all of SETX talking.

Been basically saying this all along.

Guest mffl

Well the guys that he will start recruiting on Tuesday will be the guys who SETX read about and see on the field, and if he gets capable players that can win, then who can't like the hire? UNLV he coached Brandon Williams, and I know you know who he is (central qb from last year), if he could get this kid back home...

Well the guys that he will start recruiting on Tuesday will be the guys who SETX read about and see on the field, and if he gets capable players that can win, then who can't like the hire? UNLV he coached Brandon Williams, and I know you know who he is (central qb from last year), if he could get this kid back home...

Mffl, you don't understand. It's not his coaching skills that bother me. We have a small window to grab SETX attention and hearts.

If the area reacts Who? Why? Is this the best we can do? Same old Lamar. Its over. SETX fans want instant success and wow now.

Think of that show "Showtime at the Apollo", once you hear that first boo...Its over.

Well apparantly its not anyone on here's choice to make.  If  Tubbs and Simmons agree that Woodard is the man for the job, what are we going to do?  Not support the football team?  I dont think so.  This is what we wanted right?  Football.  If Woodard is the coach, then he is the coach.  Everyone on this board will support Lamar except for probably TT.  The majority on here including myself will have season tickets and be at most of the practices.

As long as he recruits the area for the best players he can get from around here and goes out and steals a few that he shouldn't be able to get from some bigger named schools.  And of course wins more games then he looses, he will be okay.

Does anyone know what kind of offense he ran at Navarro?

The dreamer.

First of all, you can't have a big stadium if you don't have the money to build it. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Second, you say you want a big name coach that will give us a " big bang start ". But what big name coach has applied or has asked for the job? Simple, no one. At least, not the big name guys you are looking for.

You go ahead and stay in lala land, UNLV. The rest of us will wallow in reality.

I have a good feeling that the Lamar higher ups know what they are doing and what they have to work with to get it done.

The dreamer.

First of all, you can't have a big stadium if you don't have the money to build it. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Second, you say you want a big name coach that will give us a " big bang start ". But what big name coach has applied or has asked for the job? Simple, no one. At least, not the big name guys you are looking for.

You go ahead and stay in lala land, UNLV. The rest of us will wallow in reality.

I have a good feeling that the Lamar higher ups know what they are doing and what they have to work with to get it done.

The limited thinker...nay sayer...glass always half empty...could never happen, so don't try...the aggie mentality

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to

us." -- Western Union internal memo,1876.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of . ... science, 1949

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?" -- H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value." -- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole . ... Superieure deGuerre.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital. .... Equipment

Corp., 1977

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?" -- David Sarnoff's

associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"Who in their right mind would ever need more than 640k of ram!?" -- Bill Gates, 1981

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that

won't last out the year." -- Editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"But what ... is it good for?" -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, ... 1968, commenting on the microchip.

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible." -- A Yale University management

professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary Cooper." -- Gary Cooper, on his decision not to accept the leading role

in "Gone With The Wind."

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." --Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can't do this." -- Spencer Silver

on the work that led to the unique adhesives for3-M "Post-It" Notepads.

"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us?

Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard,

and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'" -- Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get

Atari and H-P interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer.

"Professor Goddard does not know the relation between action and reaction and the need to have something better than a vacuum against

which to react. He seems to lack the basic knowledge ladled out daily in high schools." -- 1921 New York Times editorial about Robert

Goddard's revolutionary rocket work.

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy." -- Drillers whom Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to

drill for oil in 1859.

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau." --Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction". -- Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon". -- Sir John Eric Ericksen,

British surgeon, appointed Surgeon Extraordinary to Queen Victoria 1873.

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." -- Decca Recording Co., when rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

Guest tigersvoice

The dreamer.

The limited thinker...nay sayer...glass always half empty...could never happen, so don't try...the aggie mentality

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." -- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of . ... science, 1949

"Who the heck wants to hear actors talk?" -- H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value." -- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole . ... Superieure deGuerre.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital. .... Equipment

Corp., 1977

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?" -- David Sarnoff's

"Who in their right mind would ever need more than 640k of ram!?" -- Bill Gates, 1981

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that

won't last out the year." -- Editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"But what ... is it good for?" -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, ... 1968, commenting on the microchip.

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible." -- A Yale University management

professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary Cooper." -- Gary Cooper, on his decision not to accept the leading role

in "Gone With The Wind."

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." --Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can't do this." -- Spencer Silver

"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us?

Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard,

and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'" -- Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get

"Professor Goddard does not know the relation between action and reaction and the need to have something better than a vacuum against

which to react. He seems to lack the basic knowledge ladled out daily in high schools." -- 1921 New York Times editorial about Robert

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy." -- Drillers whom Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to

drill for oil in 1859.

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau." --Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction". -- Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon". -- Sir John Eric Ericksen,

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." -- Decca Recording Co., when rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

Come on unlv, get a new angle.  This is the second time (at least) that you have posted this list of "Major Wrong First Impressions."  And, you act like you were there on every one of them saying, "You're wrong, wrong, wrong - these are great inventions - just wait (insert appropriate number) twenty years and you'll see."  Do you work at a job that has a budget with expected results?  Don't forget the budget part.

1. I'm happy LU is bringing football back.

2. I'm happy it is not Div II or even Div III.

3. I'm happy the stadium is being upgraded to a state-of-the-art facility.

4. I'm happy the stadium will seat 17,500 and upwards of 23,000 SRO.

5. I'm happy the recruits will have an awesome facility that rivals others (if not the best) in the SLC and most others

6. I'm happy LU is hiring a coach that wants to come to LU - apparently the others did not - and build the program.

7. LU has my support. Sounds to me like Tubbs and Simmons are making the right decisions for the University, the TSUS, and financially.

KUDOS to being responsible leaders.

The dreamer.

"Who the heck wants to hear actors talk?" -- H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

Corp., 1977

in "Gone With The Wind."

drill for oil in 1859.

Come on unlv, get a new angle.  This is the second time (at least) that you have posted this list of "Major Wrong First Impressions."  And, you act like you were there on every one of them saying, "You're wrong, wrong, wrong - these are great inventions - just wait (insert appropriate number) twenty years and you'll see."  Do you work at a job that has a budget with expected results?  Don't forget the budget part.

I'm just showing you a mirror. Do you not like what you see?

Guest coachacola

Mffl, you don't understand. It's not his coaching skills that bother me. We have a small window to grab SETX attention and hearts.

If the area reacts Who? Why? Is this the best we can do? Same old Lamar. Its over. SETX fans want instant success and wow now.

Think of that show "Showtime at the Apollo", once you hear that first boo...Its over.

What makes you an expert on the people of SETX?  Sounds like you don't think too highly of them because you think they only want a fancy stadium and a big-name coach, but otherwise they could care less about Lamar.  It's pretty simple really, winning will get people in stands, period. 

Your repeated posts about everyone thinking small time are getting old.  You say Lamar and everyone here is thinking small time, but you have offered no proof that Lamar had the money and a big-time coach lined up.  Until you give us some proof that Lamar turned down expanding the stadium and turned down hiring a big-name coach, please stop with those posts.

In a nutshell, I think Tubbs is going with Woodard because he believes Woodard is the best recruiter among the applicants,  he has the most energy and will have the most to prove, and probably feels that Woodard will stay here long term if he's successful.  Tubbs wants football to succeed long term, and over-hyping it with a big-name coach that has no plans to stick around probably would fail.  If Woodard can bring in the good players quickly (which he did at Navarro College), then he'll win here quickly too.

They like him in NE Texas!

From smoaky.com

Coach Woodard has also coached in the N.F.L. european league and the regional football league.

The man has great knowledge of the game and is a good person.

If Lamar gets him, I say good for them. They have a winner

What makes you an expert on the people of SETX?  Sounds like you don't think too highly of them because you think they only want a fancy stadium and a big-name coach, but otherwise they could care less about Lamar.  It's pretty simple really, winning will get people in stands, period. 

Your repeated posts about everyone thinking small time are getting old.  You say Lamar and everyone here is thinking small time, but you have offered no proof that Lamar had the money and a big-time coach lined up.  Until you give us some proof that Lamar turned down expanding the stadium and turned down hiring a big-name coach, please stop with those posts.

In a nutshell, I think Tubbs is going with Woodard because he believes Woodard is the best recruiter among the applicants,  he has the most energy and will have the most to prove, and probably feels that Woodard will stay here long term if he's successful.  Tubbs wants football to succeed long term, and over-hyping it with a big-name coach that has no plans to stick around probably would fail.  If Woodard can bring in the good players quickly (which he did at Navarro College), then he'll win here quickly too.

Let me dumb it down. A big name and fancy stadium will get the packed stadium. Winning will keep them

A unknown name and a so-so stadium will get a much smaller crowd. Winning will keep the small crowds stable.

A big name and fancy stadium gets national attention.

Small name and current stadium shape gets laughs.

BMW vs sub-compact, what will the crowd favor?

Winning alone will not bring the crowds, ask the wildcatters and drillers about that.

Lamar football needs to be the place to be seen or more than its FCS football.

Monday if Woodard is the guy, I think it will be a big mistake and death blow to Lamar ever leaving the SLC and going FBS.

The community will not rally around him in large numbers. Without those numbers, Lamar will be just another struggling FCS team.

After a few years, Woodard will start winning, however nobody will show up to Lamar vs Tarleton st. We need to shoot for the moon, even if

we miss we are still among the stars.

Guest abovetherim

That is hilarious because that is exactly how I view the Drillers and Wildcatters. I must say the Drillers are playing some ball right now though.

That is hilarious because that is exactly how I view the Drillers and Wildcatters. I must say the Drillers are playing some ball right now though.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about Woodard. I just feel really strongly deep to my bones that this plan

won't work. Its a mistake like Dillon. I hope I'm wrong, I will attend the games, but I feel this is all wrong. I'm usually

right about these things.

Guest coachacola

So UNLV, which big-name coach did Billy Tubbs refuse to hire so he could get Woodard?  And whose millions of dollars did Tubbs refuse to accept because he wanted to keep Cardinal Stadium small?  You still haven't answered those questions. 

For Lamar to be making a mistake, they would have had those options, but I've seen no proof of that and you haven't offered any.  Maybe you're right that without a big-name coach or big stadium football will fail, but you've go to show us proof that Tubbs decided against doing that. 

So UNLV, which big-name coach did Billy Tubbs refuse to hire so he could get Woodard?  And whose millions of dollars did Tubbs refuse to accept because he wanted to keep Cardinal Stadium small?  You still haven't answered those questions. 

For Lamar to be making a mistake, they would have had those options, but I've seen no proof of that and you haven't offered any.  Maybe you're right that without a big-name coach or big stadium football will fail, but you've go to show us proof that Tubbs decided against doing that. 

Grow-up....

Let me dumb it down. A big name and fancy stadium will get the packed stadium. Winning will keep them

A unknown name and a so-so stadium will get a much smaller crowd. Winning will keep the small crowds stable.

UNLV,  I don't know you personnally but it sounds like you have made you're point and believe the rest of us to be idiots

who are ignorant of such things.

I for one am tired of it.  Nix the rhetoric and put all that energy into supporting him.  Coach Woodard has earned the

right to coach this tema in BT's and Simmons view as well as most of us on this forum.

Welcome to SETX Coach Woodard.

Guest coachacola

Grow-up....

Figured you didn't know the answers...  ::)

How are we suppossed to support hockey in Beaumont?  It doesn't snow here, let alone ice over.  Its not offered in the schools around here.  It doesnt really excite people from around here cause its not even suppossed to be here. :)

Ive seen the Drillers play this year, first game 95-8. ???

But Lamar football! ;D  Welcome to Beaumont and the Golden Triagle Coach Woodard.  I'm ready to purchase my season tickets. 

UNLV, I dont know you, but I hope our tickets are right next to each other. ;D

Give it a chance man.  He hasn't even signed his first kid, designed the uniforms or helmets, made the schedule.  Give it a chance!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder