Local Hunting Clubs

How many local clubs are going to fall due to Campbell Groups new higher prices. I am on JWCC Club North of Jasper. We will have enough members to fill our club this year. Our price is going to be $325.00 this year. Next year may be different though. I am sure our price will be around $800.00 next year. I wish I had some land that I could raise the price on 200% for the next 3 years and then 100% the year after that. I think they will price themselves out. Sad to see all the clearcuts popping up around here. I have already heard about a couple of the clubs in the area that will not have enough members to fill there club roster. This area does not not have a quality deer herd that would be $7.00 an acre.

Looks like they will have to build a parking lot in the National Forest areas (West HWY 63)  I traveled through Angelina National Forest last year on Opening Day and it kinda resembled a parking lot. ;D

This is nothing new, there have been several large tracks of land sold in the last 5 yrs by La Pac, Temple among others and look for it to continue. Another group (out of state) has bought over 150 K acres in E Texas in the last 5 yrs that WAS timber Co land and most all were hunting clubs. All has been broken up and sold except about 3000 acres and it too IS for sale. My dad n I were asked to manage some of it here and in the lakes area for them along with 1 of their buyers who has bought up about 50,000 acres in E Texas. Some of the trks were left as is when it comes to hunting EXCEPT the price has gone up. Its sad but true and IMO the higher prices are reflected in the going prices of land out west and south, I also think the asking price is unrealistict BUT somebody will pay it. We have a lifelong friend that has had the property just East of you (96) on both sides of 255 that is now paying 7$ per acre. BYW clearcuts are not bad for deer if done correctly, deer die of old age in these clearcuts. 

You are complaining about a lease being 325 dollars per person.  You are kidding right.  Who wouldn't love to be on a lease for 325.  I can guarantee you that you will not find another landowner with more than 15-20000 acres that isn't charging more than that, and even better luck trying to another lease at that price.  I think that JWCC you are talking about was a Temple-Inland employee lease that they were letting you guys have for free.  What company in their right mind if they bought the land wouldn't raise the rate.  Besides if you think it is so ridiculous how bout trying to buy some land to hunt on.  If you do that you can pay 1500 an acre for cutover land.  So if you buy a 100 acres then you will pay 150,000 dollars and then still be paying 500-600 dollars a year in taxes.  Besides how much do you spend a year on corn, camouflage, deer scent, grunt calls, four wheelers, deer stands, and guns.  You add all that up and how much do you spend a lot more than 325 dollars and without a place to hunt all of that stuff is useless.  So if you want to complain, fine, but it sounds to me like you have the sweetest deal in east texas.  If you think you are getting the shaft I recommend you take up fishing.   

You are complaining about a lease being 325 dollars per person.  You are kidding right.  Who wouldn't love to be on a lease for 325.  I can guarantee you that you will not find another landowner with more than 15-20000 acres that isn't charging more than that, and even better luck trying to another lease at that price.  I think that JWCC you are talking about was a Temple-Inland employee lease that they were letting you guys have for free.  What company in their right mind if they bought the land wouldn't raise the rate.  Besides if you think it is so ridiculous how bout trying to buy some land to hunt on.  If you do that you can pay 1500 an acre for cutover land.  So if you buy a 100 acres then you will pay 150,000 dollars and then still be paying 500-600 dollars a year in taxes.  Besides how much do you spend a year on corn, camouflage, deer scent, grunt calls, four wheelers, deer stands, and guns.  You add all that up and how much do you spend a lot more than 325 dollars and without a place to hunt all of that stuff is useless.  So if you want to complain, fine, but it sounds to me like you have the sweetest deal in east texas.  If you think you are getting the shaft I recommend you take up fishing.   

I don't think he was complaining about $325.  It's the jump to $800 that has him bothered.  The lease was probably overfilled already to keep the price that low.

I don't think he was complaining about $325.  It's the jump to $800 that has him bothered.  The lease was probably overfilled already to keep the price that low.

So true. I was not complaining. I have been hunting on this tract of land for 24 years. Yes it has been an employee club. And yes it was and is still the cheapest club for many miles around. I can't help but wonder how many local people will pay $800,00 plus for the same land and herd that has been hunted for $75.00 - $125.00 Not to mention the large amount of clearcut property we are facing. I feel that we are in better shape than some of the area clubs that do not have as many hills and hollers that JWCC is bountiful with. I have heard of some clubs in the area that are as much as 70% clearcut. I am indeed thankful that Temple was a good neighbor. But with Arthur Temple out of the picture, It ain't the same company it used to be. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics