Carnahan, Todd sign with MMI

Carnahan, Todd sign with MMI

SIGNINGS

By Cody Pastorella

The Port Arthur News

Port Neches-Groves seniors Jon Carnahan and Mitchell Todd signed to play baseball with the Marion Military Institute Tigers just before noon on Wednesday.

Carnahan, a 6-2 catcher/pitcher, anchors the cleanup role for the Indians, who are in second place with a 4-1 District 22-4A mark. The Tribe has a 12-4 overall record.

Carnahan is hitting .387 for the year and a whopping .429 in league play. He has seven RBIs and 2-0 pitching record with an ERA of 2.50.

Todd, better known for his pitching, hits in the five hole for the Tribe. Todd is swinging a .333 average in district and has an overall average of .300. He has 10 RBIs, a 4-1 pitching record with one save and an ERA of 1.27.

Todd is the regular Friday starter for PN-G.

MMI first met with Carnahan at a McNeese baseball camp. The Tigers invited Carnahan for a visit. While on the visit, the big senior backstop, told MMI coaches about his good buddy Todd.

Assistant coach Jake Wells liked what he saw in Carnahan and liked what Carnahan had to say about Todd, so Wells contacted PN-G head coach Jay Stone.

Stone said he really liked the MMI coaching staff and was really impressed with everything about the school and its baseball program.

"It means a lot to parents, coaches and especially the players," Stone said, "the way the coaches showed their dedication and to personally make a trip down here to sign our kids — it means a lot.

"I think Mitch and Jon made an excellent choice. They've had very productive careers as Indians and now they will get to move on and continue playing baseball.

"It's great when these kids get an opportunity to further their education and get to play ball at the next level."

MMI is located in Alabama and is in the Alabama Community College Conference, which competes in Division I of the National Junior College Athletic Association.

Carnahan and Todd both said they were excited to get to play college baseball. Both added that there are a few goals to see through before their senior seasons with PN-G are finished.

"Hopefully we finish on top," said Carnahan. "Winning state is the ultimate goal but first we have to take care of district."

I am so proud of Jon and Mitch.  They have played ball together since they were 5 years old, have come through Pony Colt Leagues at Groves American, Nederland Babe Ruth Leagues, the Drillers, the SunDevils, and have been successfull all the way through.

Coach Wells drove all the way from Alabama to stand behind Jon and Mitch when they signed which shows the integrity of the coach and the committment that the school has for their players.

I wish Jon and Mitch all the luck in the world and will being a lot of road trips!

Congratulations to both young men! It is nice to

see the local guys keep playing in the next level!

And what a way to go than with a buddy that

you grew up with to be there to share it with!

Wow!!!

Again, Congratulations! ;)

yes congrats you 2 and  bama has some very nice folks up there !! good luck|!!

Thanks for all of the congratulations for the boys.  I will pass these along as my son doesn't ready these posts.  Silly365, you are right - bama has some very nice folks.  We have family in Birmingham and Mississippi that relocated from New Orleans after Katrina and plan on making road trips to see Jon and Mitch play.  Also, the coaches for Marion are the most caring that I have ever met.  This school backs up their committment to the players that sign in many ways, most impressive to me is that Coach Wells drove 8 hours to stand behind Jon and Mitch when they signed.  To the Carnahan and Todd family, that meant alot.

A few words of advice to underclassmen that want to play at the next level.  Play your hearts out every game, have a great attitude winning or loosing, because you never know who is in the stands.  Go to showcases that you can afford, write emails to the coaches of the school that you want to attend to get on their radar screen, and head to camps of those schools.  Most important, if playing at the next level is your dream, work hard both on and off the field and you will get results.

Guest BIG HOUSE

Congrats to both of these young men from Lumberton friends.We sure enjoyed watching them play when we were playing with them.Both great young men as well as athletes....GOOD LUCK...

Had the pleasure to be involved with both guys last summer, both deserve it.

Thanks to everyone!  I think that it is wonderful for Mitch to be able to have a close friend that spoke out and helped him to get this scholarship and now he gets to room with this friend.  How great is that!  Just wanted to thank everyone for wishing Jon and Mitch the best.  We do appreciate it greatly!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder