Nederland girls vs. Kingwood Park

Nederland girls vs. Kingwood Park

Traditional bidistrict entry Nederland (16-5-1) should not be lulled into expecting this first-year school to resemble a first-year program.

Humble Kingwood Park head coach Dean Herbst served as head coach across town at Kingwood for the past three seasons. The green and white clad Panthers went 11-3-1 and 9-2-1 with a 24-goal scorer sophomore Brooke Harper as the team's lone weapon with more than five goals during the season.

"They are a first-year squad but all of their girls play in a lot of club league soccer," Johnson said. "So I'm sure we will want to be at our best.

"I'm hoping we will come out with the same mindset that we had in the first 10-minute period of our overtime game against PN-G (on Monday night). That game with Port Neches was as competitive as any we've had."

Nederland was down 3-1 at the half and brought the score to 3-3... with about 10 minutes left kingwoods forward caught a one on one with the keeper and put it in the net...after that it was defense of kingwood... there was a foul that should have been called to give Nederland a pk with a minute thirty left..but the ref wasnt calling much for either team.. Good Job kingwood.. i was rootin for the bulldogs tho...

to say that the ref was not calling much either way is an understatement.

there two knock downs in the box within the last 4:30 that either one could and should have resulted in a pk

NHS made a great come back and should be proud , I know I am

Lady Bulldogs fall in bidistrict to Harper, KP

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

DEER PARK -- Nederland did a good job of handling Kingwood Park sophomore sensation Brooke Harper until a tie game reached the final 10 minutes.

The Lady Panthers' superb 22-goal scorer had been shutout until she scored the night's winning goal with 7:30 left to lift Kingwood Park over Nederland 4-3 in the 4A girls bidistrict soccer playoff round Thursday night at Abshier Stadium.

The shot by Harper spoiled an outstanding second-half comeback and really a dominant second-half performance from the Lady Bulldogs who ended their season at 16-6-1 under head coach Julie Johnson.

Harper unlocked a 3-3 tie on a breakaway goal for the game-winner.

"She's just a true striker," Nederland said of Harper. "They unfortunately got that one goal and she's a good shooter. It was a great game except for the first 10 minutes.

"I mixed up our lineup a lot at halftime and we won the second half completely. They had only three scoring opportunities in the second half and unfortunately they converted one."

Nederland led in shots on goal, 14-8, but both teams attempted five shots in the first 40-minute half. Kingwood Park had a 3-1 halftime lead and scored twice in the game's first 10 minutes. Thirty-eight minutes into the opening half, Nederland started its comeback from a 3-0 deficit as Lauren Washburn's header followed Lindsey Bombek's direct free kick from about 25 yards out.

The Lady Bulldogs completed their uphill climb, tying the game with 14 minutes left in regulation at 3-3 when junior midfielder Megan Melancon followed up a free kick by Bombek.

Melancon was instrumental in Nederland's earlier second-half goal, too. She was credited with an assist, setting up Layken Richard in the 15th minute of the second 40 minutes as Nederland trimmed its deficit to 3-2.

"It was an outstanding game and I was proud of them," Nederland's coach said.

The Kingwood Park girls advanced to next week's 4A area round matchup on Monday or Tuesday against District 18-4A champion Henderson.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder