Southland BKB Scheduling - 2008-2009

Wanted to bring this discussion over here...

Two things -- Lamar and SFA flip flop divisions (which we all knew about beforehand) and that Billy Tubbs apparently pushed through something that would make for Weds/Sat games in the Southland.

My thought on Weds/Sat is that it's really taxing on the student-athletes. I've traveled with a Div I basketball team. Not sure many of you can say the same. I'm not a fan of Weds/Sat, whether your out on the road or have to come back and then go back on the road. It's very taxing. If you have to go away on Weds and home on Sat (or vice-versa), it means your on the road every week and I'm not a big fan of that either.

Weds is also a big night around the nation -- so your not going to get good officials, while Thursday you have a better chance to do so -- I used to see some Big XII officials come into Huntsville to work games. Not sure what your thinking, but I'm not a big fan based upon my own experience of traveling with a basketball team (especially when it means your away from Tuesday through Sunday for two out of three weeks in a row).

Here's some thoughts on it from various angles...

-----------------------

UCA's town fishwrap

Reportedly, the new scheduling was the result of a relentless lobbying by a few administrators. Lamar athletic director Billy Tubbs, a former highly successful, powerful and vocal basketball coach who represents the institution with the greatest long-standing basketball tradition (and the best facility) in the conference, was reportedly one of the major proponents.

It may be a great idea from Lamar's perspective. I don't blame Tubbs and those who joined him for trying because they seemed to have effectively played a major hole card.

This is the hidden content, please

-----------------------

Gary Laney (Lake Charles American-Press) from the McN board...

I think it is strictly a players and coaches argument. One day between games leaves little prep time for the second game of the week. Ideally, you would give teams at least two days to prepare for games. I would assume Tubbs' argument is that playing Thursday-Saturday sends the message that you are so "small time" that issues concerning money take precedent over issues concerning maximizing your product.

There's a lot wrong with that line of thinking, but that's my guess.

Here's what's wrong:

1. This is a small-team league where money issues matter. You think playing on Wednesdays is really going to fool people into thinking it's the Big 12?

2. The officials situation. You can't complain about the availability of officials if you are going to cut down on your pool of available refs.

3. The passive fan factor. You are trying to win over the passive fan who will just as easily be persuaded to sit at home and watch LSU or the Longhorns on ESPN. Makes no sense to play on the night those schools are playing.

What I hate about this year's McNeese schedule is I'm traveling every week, just about. Instead of playing Thursday and Saturday at home one week, then Thursday and Saturday at Arlington/Nacogdoches, or San Marcos/San Antonio, they almost always play one at home, one away in the same week (this week at San Antonio, at home vs. Lamar; last week at Northwestern, home vs. Central Arkansas; next week home vs. SLU, at Nicholls).

You never get to spend a whole week at home. I'm sure that's as annoying to the players and coaches as it is to me.

Wednesday-Saturday isn't the only reason for it. Divisional scheduling has eliminated the UTSA-Texas State swing (you only play one a year at those schools; the other comes to you), but it has hurt.

I say let the schools decide. It's no problem for McNeese and Lamar or McNeese and Northwestern to play on Wednesday, especially if the road team is at home on Saturday. But if UCA has to go to Lamar and McNeese, like they did last week, the league should allow UCA to play a Thursday-Saturday to cut down travel time (which is what happened last week).

Here's the thing. Let's say Nicholls and Southeastern are scheduled for a mid-week game. If, between the two schools, they decide they want to play Wednesday to maximize their rest/preparation time for Saturday's game, fine. But if they want to play on Thursday so they don't get stuck with the D-list officials, that should be fine too.

Guest coachacola

There's already a lot of Wednesday night games so this is not something completely new.  This Wednesday night there are 3 SLC games scheduled.  Last week 2 games were played on Wednesday.  As some others have mentioned, let the schools decide if they want to play on Wednesday or Thursday.  Is that what they are doing this year?

There's already a lot of Wednesday night games so this is not something completely new.  This Wednesday night there are 3 SLC games scheduled.  Last week 2 games were played on Wednesday.  As some others have mentioned, let the schools decide if they want to play on Wednesday or Thursday.  Is that what they are doing this year?

Do you guys agree that it makes sense for as one article put it -- Lamar vs McNeese, Lamar vs SFA and Lamar vs SHSU as in comparison to a A&M-CC vs SELA or UCA vs Nicholls? If the SLC scheduling folks do it right, it could work. You do need to make sure that the schools far away do make the 'Cajun Corner' swing on the same weekend (Thur/Sat) or what not...

The conference is growing (UCA and A&M-CC show that). Some match-ups are not good for the student-athletes on a Weds. There's still plenty of schools close by that are nonetheless...

Guest abovetherim

I have a few basketball players in one of my classes and believe me they don't miss a beat regarding classwork. Lamar has a full-time tutor who travels with the team. I wish I had the guy come to my home for chemistry.

Sorry, if it isn't the best for the rest of the conference but Monday is out in OOC because of Monday Night Football. Tuesday night there is some great local HS basketball which would effect attendance at Lamar. Wednesday you have the church crowd who will not be able to attend. As I've mentioned earlier my brother is an Administrative Pastor and the Administrator of a private school. So, I completely understand the Wednesday night church stuff.

That stated last week, Lamar played UCA in Beaumont at 7:05 PM and the game ended at around 9:00 PM Thursday night. Then had to travel to San Marcos for a 3:00 PM game on Saturday.

We don't live in a prefect world and there is no way to make the basketball schedule so every member school is happy.

I freely admit I am bias to Lamar University and want the schedule best suited for the on court success of our basketball team. I know the coaching staff isn't letting the student-athletes off easy.

Heck, I've been on-line the past 3 hrs while the basketball team has been is a mandatory study hall from 7PM-10PM.

The crowd for Lamar's game last night in Corpus was terrible and it was a televised game--you'd think people would want to possibly have their faces shown on tv. With that being said I think it is a combination of several things already mentioned here.  Wednesday night is a big church night and especially around Beaumont.  I am a season ticket holder and we have had to miss some games a few years back due to church.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124