Who Has The Strongest Little League This Year?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.  That's what I thought.   :D :D

I was a Beaumont boy, but I sure would like you to share where you got that info :D  :'(

Try this.   

This is the hidden content, please

Congrats, you did your homework and your right, but we still edge ya'll out on total runs scored. It's ok for ya'll to be second though ;D

Hey scalp,  If we keep playing long enough, someone from mid-county might finally beat WELL.    ;D

• 1 month later...
Guest gladiator2

Nederland will dominate this year with FHWS coming in second. They have  their select team back playing LL this year. Groves is very weak this year (I don't mean any disrespect by this statement). I've been to BC,PN,Groves,Nederland, and PN and hands down Nederland by far is the best group of kids.

Nederland will dominate this year with FHWS coming in second. They have  their select team back playing LL this year. Groves is very weak this year (I don't mean any disrespect by this statement). I've been to BC,PN,Groves,Nederland, and PN and hands down Nederland by far is the best group of kids.

I disagree with your assessment of Groves LL. They aren't as strong as two years ago, but I think they will be better this year than last year due to having a couple of more pitchers.  The bats aren't as strong, but they will compete.  Leagues go in cycles. We lost some good players to select, but the kids that are playing league ball will play hard, and hopefully we can win playing small ball.  Nederland will be very tough for years to come after combining the two leagues so thats not a suprise, but I would think BC would be stronger than FHWS. BTW, we're not very weak just not very much depth ;)

For the past five years, Groves National LL has gotten kids from Pony(Groves American) and lost some(good players) to select.  I believe that the league volunteers have made an outstanding job attracting Groves kids to play there. The proof is that the 2006 GNLL team(Section 2 Champions, Texas East Champions and finalist at the SW Regional Tournament) was the same 9 year old all star team that lost in the District Championship game to Nederland North.  But with the addition of three players from Groves American, the change on the eligibility date(birthday) and with six of them playing select ball, they became who they are the only team from this area to make it that far in the Regional Little League Tournament.  All of the six had a choice, play select or play little league.  They chose little league(and we are proud of them for that)

Note:  that 9year old Nederland North team lost key players to select ball who probably would have helped them that year(pure speculation).   

Groves National won District 12 last year and yes, it is true they did not have a nice outing going into the Sectionals, but nobody was giving them a chance to win district either.  And we are as proud of them too(two district champions in two years).  Bridge City and Nederland will always be good because of the amount of parents they have volunteering each year who really care.  It takes a lot of work to be involved in Little League but the memories are forever.  I am not saying the other leagues may not have the same.  You may not believe this, District 12 is one of the strongest districts in this side of Texas.  Keep it that way!

Just a clarification...OYBS is still a seperate league,and not in the Little Leauge system.  They play through the Pony League organization.  Where BCLL has gained a lot of players from Orange County and some South Newton county is because of taking in the boundaries of Twin County Little League in Orange.  The park suffered a lot after Rita, and found it hard to come back, so BCLL has taken over the area. 

We'll see about strength.  As for the select team issue, I think it is a fabulous idea to have the kids play league ball as well.  The select program develops indivuduals, but it doesn't develop a sense of team in the local sense, since players are culled from different areas.  You see this in high school when you have super talented kids that have no sense of team unity because they were devolped to be stars instead of teams.  League play allows them to develop as team players too.

Just a clarification...OYBS is still a separate league,and not in the Little League system.  They play through the Pony League organization.  Where BCLL has gained a lot of players from Orange County and some South Newton county is because of taking in the boundaries of Twin County Little League in Orange.  The park suffered a lot after Rita, and found it hard to come back, so BCLL has taken over the area. 

We'll see about strength.  As for the select team issue, I think it is a fabulous idea to have the kids play league ball as well.  The select program develops individuals, but it doesn't develop a sense of team in the local sense, since players are culled from different areas.  You see this in high school when you have super talented kids that have no sense of team unity because they were developed to be stars instead of teams.  League play allows them to develop as team players too.

The game of baseball is played as a team sport. I'm not sure about your experience with select baseball but mine has been very good. Maybe you have played maybe you are just throwing out something that you think and really don't have any knowledge of. Whatever the situation, you are lumping a whole group into one. What you are saying is that every kid and every select team doesn't learn the team concept. You are wrong my friend. First of all I would caution anyone from lumping any group and making an assumption on the whole group. I can promise you any kid that plays for me, league or select learns to play as a team player.

There are alot of super talented kids that know how to play as a team player. The type of kid you are talking about wouldn't be a team player regardless of him playing select ball.

Just a clarification...OYBS is still a separate league,and not in the Little League system.  They play through the Pony League organization.  Where BCLL has gained a lot of players from Orange County and some South Newton county is because of taking in the boundaries of Twin County Little League in Orange.  The park suffered a lot after Rita, and found it hard to come back, so BCLL has taken over the area. 

We'll see about strength.  As for the select team issue, I think it is a fabulous idea to have the kids play league ball as well.  The select program develops individuals, but it doesn't develop a sense of team in the local sense, since players are culled from different areas.  You see this in high school when you have super talented kids that have no sense of team unity because they were developed to be stars instead of teams.  League play allows them to develop as team players too.

The game of baseball is played as a team sport. I'm not sure about your experience with select baseball but mine has been very good. Maybe you have played maybe you are just throwing out something that you think and really don't have any knowledge of. Whatever the situation, you are lumping a whole group into one. What you are saying is that every kid and every select team doesn't learn the team concept. You are wrong my friend. First of all I would caution anyone from lumping any group and making an assumption on the whole group. I can promise you any kid that plays for me, league or select learns to play as a team player.

There are alot of super talented kids that know how to play as a team player. The type of kid you are talking about wouldn't be a team player regardless of him playing select ball.

You missed an important part of my post TD..."in the local sense".  By it's nature, select ball takes talented kids and makes them more talented, but it takes them from different areas of the Golden Triangle.  They are team players, they know how to play as a team, but they don't grow up together "locally" as a team.  Where the league ball component comes in is where they get to play with non select kids that are going to be their teammates in high school, learning to play with players that either are pretty good, or are as talented as them but chose not to play select ball.  Both components enhance the ball playing experience.

You missed an important part of my post TD..."in the local sense".  By it's nature, select ball takes talented kids and makes them more talented, but it takes them from different areas of the Golden Triangle.  They are team players, they know how to play as a team, but they don't grow up together "locally" as a team.  Where the league ball component comes in is where they get to play with non select kids that are going to be their teammates in high school, learning to play with players that either are pretty good, or are as talented as them but chose not to play select ball.  Both components enhance the ball playing experience.

I get your point a little more but I still disagree. At OYBS we have kids from WOS, LCM, Bridge City, Deweyville and Vinton. Probably some more areas that I just can't think of. These kids will not play high school ball together. I think people put too much emphasis on who they will play with in high school. Most of these kids won't even play high school baseball and who knows where they will live at that point anyway. It is my job as a parent to put my children in the best situations that I can. I take that responsibility very seriously not only with sports but life in general.

I get your point a little more but I still disagree. At OYBS we have kids from WOS, LCM, Bridge City, Deweyville and Vinton. Probably some more areas that I just can't think of. These kids will not play high school ball together. I think people put too much emphasis on who they will play with in high school. Most of these kids won't even play high school baseball and who knows where they will live at that point anyway. It is my job as a parent to put my children in the best situations that I can. I take that responsibility very seriously not only with sports but life in general.

I can see your point about being a parent, and wanting the best for your kid.  I just beleive that exposing them to both select and league ball will give them the best possible situation.

I can see your point about being a parent, and wanting the best for your kid.  I just beleive that exposing them to both select and league ball will give them the best possible situation.

I agreed with that also. That's why both of my boys are playing both. However, I just don't see how it will be possible to continue to do both. There is not enough of me to go around. They play in two different age groups in league ball and it's too hard to coach both. I'm doing it this year but when there is a rain out it messes up the whole schedule and then you feel like you are cheating one age group or the other. Not to mention that the only way to do that is that you have to be the VP of one of the leagues so you can make sure the schedules don't conflict. Good luck doing it your way. I tried it and now I will have to do it another way.

I agreed with that also. That's why both of my boys are playing both. However, I just don't see how it will be possible to continue to do both. There is not enough of me to go around. They play in two different age groups in league ball and it's too hard to coach both. I'm doing it this year but when there is a rain out it messes up the whole schedule and then you feel like you are cheating one age group or the other. Not to mention that the only way to do that is that you have to be the VP of one of the leagues so you can make sure the schedules don't conflict. Good luck doing it your way. I tried it and now I will have to do it another way.

after the playoffs, I will be done.  Props to you for working hard to do everything you can.  I was a league official (Little League) and it got tired after a while.  Too many "I'll help, but don't want responsibility" parents, or the "I paid my money, babysit my kid parents".  Try to work with the oldest first, then the next one.  It may seem unfair, but the younger one gets you a bit longer than the oldest one does.  Good luck either way you go.

I think the true advantage to playing select ball is playing against competition all over Texas and other States and playing under that type of competitive pressure, whereas local talent may not sense or experience the full affect of playing quality teams on a regular basis. Better teams make you step up your game or your weaknesses will be exploited.

I think the true advantage to playing select ball is playing against competition all over Texas and other States and playing under that type of competitive pressure, whereas local talent may not sense or experience the full affect of playing quality teams on a regular basis. Better teams make you step up your game or your weaknesses will be exploited.

Exactly my point.

• 3 weeks later...

Dont count the 12 yr olds out in BC this Yr.  They all played select and beat FHWS twice and very decisive.  They have 3 very strong pitchers and have the bats.  You can never count BCLL out.  It will be interesting how this plays out.  The 11 yr olds will be unstoppable again!!!!!!!

Guest gladiator2

Yes, you did  beat FHWS in select ball but the best player on ya'lls select team is from Vidor with the kid playing catcher and SS from Vidor also. So with that being said if you take those 3 kids from your select team and you would not beat FHWS. I still stand by my predictions and I am wrong a lot. I will agree with another parents post about Groves has several of their players  playing select ball (half of the Gladiators are from Groves and Johnny's Drakes has another 5 kid's from Groves, 2 of the top teams in the state in 12 AAA select baseball. Even if Groves had these kid's it probally still would not make a difference of the outcome of Nederland winning district and sectionals.

Championship game will be NEDERLAND vs. FHWS

• 3 weeks later...

Dont count the 12 yr olds out in BC this Yr.  They all played select and beat FHWS twice and very decisive.  They have 3 very strong pitchers and have the bats.  You can never count BCLL out.  It will be interesting how this plays out.  The 11 yr olds will be unstoppable again!!!!!!!

Who would the 3 pitchers be?

The 12 yr old group has always been weak...but I know all have gotten alot better from playin Select ball

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami