Stephen Jackson (PA Lincoln 95) vs. Omar Sneed (Bmt. Westbrook 95)

Guest DickVitale

Guest DickVitale

WHO YA GOT?? Who was the better HIGH SCHOOL player? Who would you take first that year (1995) on your high school team and why? remember that was Stephen Jackson's junior year, before leaving to attend Oak Hill...Let the debating begin!! ;)

Guest orangeman

I specifically remember watching Jackson at the Bee Hive that year. He was very good; however, if we're talking '95 then I'll go with Sneed. He was a beast. I would take Jackson if we're talking once they fully developed.

Agree....Omar was the 5A player of the year...he was the best I've seen on the block at 6'5.  He was surrounded by D 1's and if they needed a basket they knew who to get it to.  One night in Baytown he went for 40 and 20 boards against 6'7 and 6'6 and fouled both of them out.  Too strong and had alot of shi_ in his neck...Never thought he would be able to play on the peremiter at the next level, but proved me wrong....i wa the only one who could guard himmmmmmmmm

1993-1995 was a great year for that district... WB had sneed and correyell? sp... central had franklin paul, tj had a great big man who i think went to texas tech.  Baytown Lee had Clayton Shields, Deer Park had Jason Skaer who went to OK State.  I remember all those games and almost everyone was a mini rivalry.

I would take Jackson though.  Sneed got alot of his baskets from put backs, where jackson created alot more for himself and team.

Guest DickVitale

Stevie was so darn VERSATILE!! He could knock down the three, post up, defend the perimeter, defend the post, handle the ball, excellent passer, and was a great teammate...Omar was a BEAST, though...one of the best scorers SE Texas has ever seen. I just think that if I were having to choose only one of them back then I would rather have Stevie...Here is an interesting point...I think Westbrook would have WON state WITH Stevie and without Omar.. ;)

Waht ever happened to Omar Sneed? Where did he end up?

Omar Sneed

Full Name: Omar Shriff Sneed

Position: Forward

Height/Weight: 6-6 / 239

Birthdate: October 9, 1976 (Beaumont, TX)

High School: Westbrook HS (Beaumont, TX)

College: Memphis

BACKGROUND

Has played internationally in Belgium, the Netherlands, and Venezuela. Played with BT Wevelgem in Belgium in 2001-02, averaging 21.9 points and 8.2 rebounds in 27 games. Played with Stichting Weert in the Netherlands in 2000-01, averaging 27.1 points and 11.9 rebounds in 32 games. Participated in the Rocky Mountain Summer League with the Houston Rockets in 2001.

Played final two seasons at Memphis after starting out at San Jacinto College in Pasadena, TX. Finished collegiate career as Memphis’ 29th all-time leading scorer with 1072 points, and was the first JUCO transfer at the school to reach the 1000 point plateau for a career. Started 56 of 57 games he played in at Memphis.

As a senior, averaged 16.7 points and 7.5 rebounds. Ranked among C-USA’s top five in scoring (fourth), rebounding (fifth), and field goal percentage (third). Scored 20 or more points in 10 games and recorded six double-doubles. Scored season-high 29 points while grabbing nine rebounds against Alabama-Birmingham on Jan. 2. Grabbed season-high 16 rebounds on Jan. 23 against South Florida. Tallied 28 points and 12 rebounds at Houston on Jan. 17. Registered 20 points and 15 rebounds at Louisville on Feb. 4. Was named Second Team All-Conference USA.

As a junior, averaged 20.9 points and 9.2 rebounds. Led team in scoring and rebounding. Recorded 12 double-doubles, including a 37 point, 20 rebound career night against DePaul on Feb. 11. Scored 34 points and grabbed eight rebounds against Louisville on Feb. 21. Snared 17 rebounds against Ball State in the NIT on Mar. 11. Averaged 23.8 points and 10.3 rebounds in the last 16 games of the season. Was voted Conference USA Player of the Week twice, and earned First Team All-Conference post-season honors.

As a sophomore at San Jacinto, averaged 24.0 points and 10.5 rebounds. Started all 35 games. Led team in scoring and rebounding. Was named MVP of the Texas Eastern Athletic Conference, and was selected as National JUCO Player of the Year by Basketball Times. Was a First Team NJCAA All-American. Helped lead San Jacinto to a 36-1 record and NJCAA Tournament Runner-Up finish. Played on the same team as current Houston Rockets guard Steve Francis, who was a freshman on the squad.

As a freshman, averaged 21.0 points and 10.9 rebounds. Started 30 of 31 games. Led team in scoring and rebounding.

Guest DickVitale

I think that Stevie was a better pick because there was very little that teams could do to stop him...If you doubled him he would get 10+ assists...You could not trap him, because he could throw over you..Post players could not guard him on the perimeter, and he would take smaller players to the blocks...Omar was unstoppable around the basket..just too strong..but I think that when doubled he would often force the issue, PLUS he was only 6'6, so his height was not a real advantage on the post..I watched Stevie make unbelieveable plays from the wing, and on the post...Just my 2 cents!! ;)

Guest DickVitale

I don't think that Omar was even more of a stat stuffer than Stevie was, either...Stevie gave you points, rebounds, assists, and blocked shots as well....Omar scored points, and he would rebound......Was not considered much of a shot blocker or defender for that matter.

Guest DickVitale

Omar could score with the best of them, but he was what is called a "tweener". Too small to play post in the league, yet at 6'6, had no guard skills, and would have been a liability defensively either way.  To put it into perspective, Kobe is 6'6..T-Mac is 6'8..Stevie is 6'8...Paul Pierce is 6'7..These are all NBA GUARDS...Where was Omar gonna fit? 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124