Bob West Sunday Column

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

Lamar University students go to the polls Wednesday and Thursday to vote on whether they will approve a raise in fees to fund a football program. If the students approve, and the Board of Regents signs off on football at a February meeting, LU athletic director Bill Tubbs will immediately launch a search for a coach to build a program from scratch. Tubbs, who says he already has some names of some coaches he thinks might be interested, plans to seek input from the likes of Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer. He’ll also be visiting schools that have launched programs in the past five or six years. His goal, if everything is approved, is for Lamar to field a team to play at the 1-AA level in 2010 . . .

Edit: Actually the vote is the 29th and 30th so that would be Tuesday and Wednesday but thanks for mentioning it Mr. West.

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_026220439.html

Guest abovetherim

I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned the return of Lamar football until now.  Is he cool to the idea of football at Lamar?

Well, I've been a big fan of Bob West for years. That said he and I disagree about football at Lamar. Yes, he wrote at least 10 articles between 1988-1989 on why Lamar should drop the football program. This is coming from a man who married a former LU cheerleader! I don't think you'll ever hear him admit he was wrong. That doesn't matter because Lamar will be starting the football team from scratch, history really doesn't matter.

The thing which matters is getting it right this time. First the students vote is important for football becoming a reality. Then I'll quote President Simmons on his success as LU president, "My success is because I learned early on to surround myself with good people." Coach Tubbs has to land a quality head coach for the football team to have success on the field . Then Lamar will begin having more school spirit and it will lead to some new traditions. 

I'm excited, 3 days and counting.....

I remember rolling into town back in '88.  I didn't know much, if anything, about Beaumont and Lamar.  I remember I wasn't here but a few weeks and hearing this guy trashing Lamar Football.  I remember I couldn't believe it.  I guess I was young and nieve but I couldn't believe the local community would tear itself down like that.  I wasn't used to that where I came from.  For a short while I was kicking myself thinking "Man I took the wrong deal".

Guest abovetherim

I hate to hear you feel like you "took the wrong deal" but I completely understand. It will be people like yourself who can help ensure Lamar is successful now. To be fair with Mr. West, he and many others thought pouring the money being lost in football into the men's basketball program was the right thing to do. The problem is young people care more than some would like to think about having a "well rounded" college experience. That includes student-athletes. Once football left Lamar, students left, the basketball team went downhill and the community suffered. Heck, a lot of people don't even realize how much it hurt the track team. Back then Coach Sonny Jolly was a great track coach and was even an assistant coach on the USA Olympic track team. Lamar ruled the old SLC!!!

Oh no, I don't feel like I took the wrong deal.  That was my thought for a short while in '88.  My skin got a little thicker that season.  I'm glad I went to Lamar, enjoyed playing with the rest of the guys, and for the most part liked the coaching staff.  At that time I just said the hell with the nay sayers, I know what I can do.  I'm playing for myself and to not let the guy next to me down or the coaches.

As time went by I gained a little perspective and can understand what some peoples angles were.  It's just as a young athlete coming in from scratch, anything said in a bad light about the team is felt as a direct attack on you.  I can see how it was probably hard for Lamar to "dig out" back then.

I'm very excited about Lamar right now and can't wait to start a new chapter.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder