OF's Angelle heart of Bobcats

OF's Angelle heart of Bobcats

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — When it comes to sports, size doesn’t matter as much as we all hear on the tube, the radio and newspapers.

Sometimes you have to measure a size of a player’s heart and their determination to achieve sweet goals in helping their squad win.

Well, junior Orangefield guard Tyler Angelle isn’t the tallest or biggest Bobcat as far as stature goes, but when he hits the hardwood, he plays with the mentality of a U.S. Army Sherman tank.

Angelle has been a tremendous cog in the success of the Bobcats (16-7, 4-3) and for Coach Rea Wrinkle as they are staying busy in the hunt for a playoff berth out of District 21-3A.

Angelle, who plays the off-guard spot, is shooting a tremendous 57 percent from the three-point line in district play and 89 percent from the line. He has fit right into the Bobcat system of playing unselfish ball.

“With this team, everyone plays so well together,†Angelle said. “If someone is not hitting their shot, they always find a teammate that has the hot hand. We all root for each other and get along great and that makes it all really special.â€

Angelle, who popped for 23 points in a critical first-half 21-3A win over West Orange-Stark, has certainly caught Coach Wrinkle’s eyes on his first year on the varsity.

“We knew we had something special in Tyler, especially after the summer,†Wrinkle said. “He got his feet wet playing in Houston and competing in the summer league. You really saw the competitor come out in him then.â€

Wrinkle feels size doesn’t have a lot to do with always being successful on a basketball court.

“With Tyler, that kid is always full of energy,†Wrinkle said. “He’s not a kid that just stands outside and shoots three-balls all night. He’ll go inside and grab key rebounds for us and he’s not afraid to hit the floor and go after loose balls.â€

Countless hours shooting the ball has paid dividends for Angelle.

“I do spend a lot of spare time shooting the ball, especially last summer,†Angelle said. “I wanted my teammates to be comfortable with me shooting the ball. I do whatever I can to help my teammates out. We have several that can penetrate and dish the ball back out and I’ve been able to hit some shots. I think we play real smart as a team. We’ve been patient and we take anything that the defense can give us.â€

Angelle’s first year on varsity has been pleasant with the leadership of such seniors as post Jeremy Granger and point guard Jared Helton.

“Big Jeremy, it’s so great to have someone inside like him,†Angelle said. “I think he leads the world in rebounding. We feel much better when we launch a three-pointer because if we miss, we know Jeremy is going to find the best way he knows how to get the rebound. He looks so big and strong but he’s also a great guy.â€

As far as Helton?

“Jared is just a natural leader,†Angelle said. “He does all the little things that makes the team better in every game. He’s so unselfish and he hustles all the time. The rest of us take notice of that and want to follow that.â€

Angelle is also a superb tennis player and finished third as a sophomore at the 21-3A Tennis Championships last year.

“I love playing tennis and I still want to do that, but basketball is definitely my true love now,†Angelle said. “Tennis is kinda starting up now but we still have plenty of basketball to play and we’re thinking about playoffs too. That’s our main goal.â€

The Bobcats are certainly in the heart of the race. In the second half of district play, which starts Tuesday, the Bobcats will welcome first-place Hardin-Jefferson and Silsbee at Bobcat Gym. Orangefield has almost knocked off Silsbee twice, falling 60-59 in the Orangefield Tournament and 48-46 in the first half of district at Silsbee.

“We really feel like we’re a playoff team, we just have to go out, execute well and show it,†Angelle said. “The two Silsbee losses were tough, because we thought we had both of those games. We started out slow at Silsbee and that killed us. We need to take care of business and win the games we should win and then try to get past H-J and Silsbee here at home. But, our district is tough, so you have to look at it as just one game at a time and I think we can do that.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    praise086
    Newest Member
    praise086