Let's see if any other Team is experiencing this?

Guest tigersvoice

Guest tigersvoice

In this post I will not name the teams that, so far, I have heard are doing this.  Obviously, I'm not a player - I'm not even a parent of anyone that is playing in Distict 21-AAA.  But, I am a fan and supporter of a team in District 21-AAA and I just want to know if this behavior is wide spread.

Seems that there are a couple of teams in this district (maybe more) whose main objectives on the court are to curse at, swear at, use profanity toward, call opponents vile and ugly names and, in general, harrass their opponents.  This perplexes and offends me.  I am very OLD SCHOOL and in my day there was NONE of this kind of behaviour on the court, nor on the field among the boys' competition, much less the girls' competition.  Are fans and team supporters across District 21-AAA aware of this?  And if you are, shouldn't something be done towards cleaning up this behaviour?  This kind of conduct is not acceptable in the classroom and it should not be acceptable on the athletic courts or fields.  Any comments out there? 

Guest bleed orange

You are correct tigersvoice and it is not just the teams but the fans also. I am old school also and is very disappointed in our young kids and parents. This is my last year and I am glad.

There is one team I am thinking of that is the worst I have ever heard of, after the game I was informed on what was being said and that is pathetic. This is the same team that fights with each other on the court and hasn't been successful the entire year. Food for thought.  ???

he on the court talk should be controlled by the officials. We all know that aint gonna happen.but, to add another problem the ther night we lost to silsbee at silsbee and after the game our girls went to the dressingroom provided for us and a couple of the silsbee players came in and started running their mouths. Our Coachs were not there and by the time they got there the rest of the silsbee team was at the door.If you play at silsbee make sure the coachs stay with the players at all times. Silsbee has a brand new school  but it had to have 3 of its players dress in the visitors dressingroom. Unbelievable

I witnessed one team taking pot shots at our girls. Officials saw it and "asked" the coach to take the girl out of the game. Once on the bench, she began cussing at a parent sitting right next to me and my wife. When the coach told her to turn around, she told him to shut up. Not only was I embarrassed for the coach, but also for the school. The coach had no control over his team. They cussed players and officials from the bench. My daughter plays freshman ball and it is not much better at the younger levels, including the private schools. I am like most of you, this would not have been tolerated when I was younger. If you take young kids to the games, don't let them sit within earshot of the court or bench, they may learn some stuff you think they are ready for.

[quote name="Jdad" post="315295" timestamp="1200297243"]
he on the court talk should be controlled by the officials. We all know that aint gonna happen.but, to add another problem the ther night we lost to silsbee at silsbee and after the game our girls went to the dressingroom provided for us and a couple of the silsbee players came in and started running their mouths. Our Coachs were not there and by the time they got there the rest of the silsbee team was at the door.If you play at silsbee make sure the coachs stay with the players at all times. Silsbee has a brand new school  but it had to have 3 of its players dress in the visitors dressingroom. Unbelievable
[/quote]

First off, the Silsbee players did not run their mouths until one of he HJ players was trash talking. Silsbee does not have a dressing room specifically assigned to visitors. The room that HJ was in contained some of the Silsbee players lockers that were in volleyball during volleyball season, that why they were in there. I know they were bothering anybody.

This seems to be getting more widespread and is a real problem.

The place to start is for EVERYONE to clean up their own program.  Sometimes people can't see the forest because of the trees...it's not ALWAYS "the other team".

I agree that there is no reason for opposing teams to be in the same locker room at any given time.  If the home team has lockers in that room then they need to wait until the visitors have left to enter.  The volleyball locker reasoning is weak.

[quote name="GLBEmbassador" post="316468" timestamp="1200490418"]
If you believe the reasoning is weak the so be it. That's just the reality of the situation. Some of those HJ girls have bad attitudes. The couple of Silsbee girls were only defending themselves. But yeah it is a "dead issue" right.
[/quote]

The reasoning [b]IS[/b] weak and the reality of the situation is that having opposing teams in the same locker room at any given time is a circumstance that's poorly thought out by the school officials.

I believe the trash talk and disrespect among opposing players is directly related to the escalated rough play that officials are continuing to let go on.  If official would call the game according to the rules of the game we could get back to seeing some athletic skills instead of a free-for-all with a ball.

[quote name="GLBEmbassador" post="316468" timestamp="1200490418"]
If you believe the reasoning is weak the so be it. That's just the reality of the situation. Some of those HJ girls have bad attitudes. The couple of Silsbee girls were only defending themselves. But yeah it is a "dead issue" right.
[/quote]
If you want to defend your girls thats okay I would do the same but, at least you would tell stories to make it look like the HJ girls were at fault. If you knew the truth you surely wouldn't say anything about HJ. Your girls were not defending themselves because there the ones with the attitudes. Even another silsbee player came and oppologized to our players afterward for the actions of her teammates. It is a dead issue only if silsbee makes sure the supply seperate dressingrooms for opposing teams like anyone with a brain would do.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Slam14" post="316487" timestamp="1200492963"]
[quote author=GLBEmbassador link=topic=31821.msg316468#msg316468 date=1200490418]
[/quote]

The reasoning [b]IS[/b] weak and the reality of the situation is that having opposing teams in the same locker room at any given time is a circumstance that's poorly thought out by the school officials.

I believe the trash talk and disrespect among opposing players is directly related to the escalated rough play that officials are continuing to let go on.  If official would call the game according to the rules of the game we could get back to seeing some athletic skills instead of a free-for-all with a ball.
[/quote]

Good post Slam. I agree basketball has changed and not for the good.

I have not had a chance to be at the games this year.  However, here are my opinions for what they are worth. 

1)  The kids learn by example.  For example, the cursing must be going at home.  Does that make it acceptable for district play?  No.  Should the refs do something about it? Yes.  My opinion is that anyone and that includes fans that are cursing should be ejected from the game.

2)  If the cursing is as bad as it sounds then maybe you should attend a board meeting and bring it up.  If all the districts got together and complained then something might be done

3)  If one school is fighting, does not mean that all the rest have to follow?

4) As one poster said, clean up your own programs first.  The kids have to learn how to get along and that is hard with the parents’ fighting with each other.

5) We have great coaches at all of the schools that give of their time for these kids. 

The following is taken from the UIL website about fans 

1)    The field of play  is the athletic classroom for student-athletes.  Instead of math and science, they learn teamwork and group responsibility in addition to dealing with success and overcoming adversity.  You wouldn’t dare interrupt a teacher giving a test to his or her students, yet you do it to coaches and student athletes routinely in their classroom.

2) Your ticket does not entitle you to disrespect or degrade other in any way.  Everyone who is part of high school athletics gives their best effort and commitment to educational athletics should be celebrated.

3) Understand that the student-athletes you are watching will make mistakes, and no participant should be ridiculed at any time because of their efforts.  Many of them are still learning the games they play and can easily be disheartened by a rogue fan attacking their performance.

4) High school coaches are actually full-time teachers first and coaches second.  Anyone who tries to reverse this order is taking the first step to destroying a program.  No one wants a program to fail, but the merciless pressure you put on him or her as someone who had nothing to do with the building of the program can bring it down. 

5) Officials are present to promote the games and the student athletes involved.  They make judgment calls in good faith based on their knowledge and extensive training.  A lot of time and effort has gone into making sure that they know the rules better than you.  Respect their decisions.

6) Finally, you are a guest of the school and should act like one.  Winning is an admirable goal of competition, but it is nothing if it comes at the expense of morals, ethics and common sense.

The following is unacceptable behavior for player as taken from the UIL site.

1) Attempts to distract opponent during contest such as yelling or waving arms during opponents free throw attempt, serve, etc.

2) Antagonizing, disrespectful or derogatory yells, chants, songs, or gestures.

3) Booing or heckling an official’s decisions.

4) Criticizing officials in any way; displays of temper with an official’s call.

5) Refusing to shake hands or give recognition for good performances following a game.

6) Blaming loss of game on officials, coaches or participants.

7) Laughing or name calling to distract an opponent.

8) Use of profanity or displays of anger that draw attention away from the game.

9) No cheering unless it’s for your team.

The rules are in place by UIL and it is up to the districts, teams, fans and officials to follow them.  We as parents should be setting the example for our children to follow.  We all should remember that these games are for building character and good sportsmanship for the kids.  It is a shame that some of the parents have not learned how to act at games.

Guess you needed to read on a bit more.  There is the UIL rules about player behavior. And since it is player behavior it would deal with the whole team.  And do believe that antagonizing, disrespectful or derogatory yells, chants, songs, or gesture would apply at anytime.

The following is unacceptable behavior for player as taken from the UIL site.

1)  Attempts to distract opponent during contest such as yelling or waving arms during opponents free throw attempt, serve, etc.

2)  Antagonizing, disrespectful or derogatory yells, chants, songs, or gestures.

3)  Booing or heckling an official’s decisions.

4)  Criticizing officials in any way; displays of temper with an official’s call.

5)  Refusing to shake hands or give recognition for good performances following a game.

6)  Blaming loss of game on officials, coaches or participants.

7)  Laughing or name calling to distract an opponent.

8.)  Use of profanity or displays of anger that draw attention away from the game.

9)  No cheering unless it’s for your team.

orangefieldfan, thanks for the definition of a fan however this thread was about teams not fans.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed