From KFDM Channel 6 - LU Student Vote Could Lead to Return of Football

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

Date Set for LU Student Vote That Could Lead to Return of Football

KFDM News has learned the Lamar University Student Government Association has set a date for students to vote on a fee that is expected to lead to the return of a football program to the campus.

The vote will take place on January 29 and 30.

Students will decide whether to pay an athletic fee of $8.75 per credit hour to help fund a football program

Lamar University has been without a football program since 1989. Many supporters, including LU President Dr. Jimmy Simmons and LU Athletic Director Billy Tubbs, say the return of football would do more for the university than most people realize.

They say it would bring in more students and fit in with the expansion that has led to new residence halls, new buildings and increased student pride.

"I think it would bring a lot of notoriety to the school, and it would be good for it, cause we've been missing a football team for a long time," said Joshua Ware, an LU sophomore.

"If it doesn't pass the student referendum, football is not in this generation's eyesight," said LU Athletic Director Billy Tubbs.

Tubbs says the return of a football program is just what the Cardinals need to continue the expansion that has rejuvenated school spirit.

"We need to build pride, and this will help and enhance our overall athletic program, which enhances the whole student body," said Tubbs.

"It would bring students, players, cheerleaders, their friends," said Ware.

Tubbs agrees. He says it would bring in more students and improve student life. He says the growth would be evident everywhere.

"We not only need to start a football team, we need to start it in a way that that football team will thrive and be very successful," said Tubbs.

Success that will begin with the students' vote.

"Sure I think it'll pass," said Ware. "Everyone will vote for it. I don't think there'll be any no's."

A 'yes' vote from students would be an important first step in the return of football.

The university is also asking private donors to help pay for the program, and regents would also have to give their approval.

If you're a student and would like more information about the vote, talk with a student government representative.

Guest abovetherim

Thanks for posting the video Coachacola. Kerry, I agree with you 110%. I could have waited until the summer for the hours I need but there is no way I'll miss this vote and believe me, there will be several friends and family members there to vote with me for the return of football to Lamar. Heck, I've heard of a couple of people enrolling for just one class so they can vote for the sports return.

Coach Tubbs will hopefully have some slides the students can view of how the return of football will effect student life, what the stadium and field-house will look like after being remodeled. Similar to what they did when the students voted for the renovation of McDonald Gym and the Shelia Umphey Recreational Sports Center.

Then all Coach Tubbs has to do is hire us a football coach!!!!!

Guest abovetherim

I don't think a lot of people realize how excited some of the students are. For example, I know of five young men who are currently attending Lamar from the same High School who are planning on walking on to the football team once the sport returns to campus. I know one of their fathers and he told me these young men go to school, eat, workout and sleep dreaming of the opportunity to wear a Cardinal uniform. One of these young men was offered a scholarship to Nicholls State, visited the campus and stayed a weekend but when asked why he didn't accept the scholarship, he replied "Everything was nice and all but it just didn't feel right." That's because he was meant to be one of the corner stones of this new football program. I can't give out the names of the young men but they are talented. One is about 6-4, 270 and they are all strong. A relative of one of these young men visits this board frequently and post from time to time. If he wants to post their names then I'm good, otherwise I believe I have given all the information I'm comfortable with at the present time.

I believe you! There are some big guys on campus. That's not saying much since I'm 5'4 and 140 pounds. Everyone is big compared to me. Now if Lamar gets football, the coach needs to talk to Nwevo about playing. He is 6'7/6'8, 260 and athletic. He'd be a great offensive or defensive lineman.

I believe you! There are some big guys on campus. That's not saying much since I'm 5'4 and 140 pounds. Everyone is big compared to me. Now if Lamar gets football, the coach needs to talk to Nwevo about playing. He is 6'7/6'8, 260 and athletic. He'd be a great offensive or defensive lineman.

Unfortunately, he's a senior next year.  He won't be eligible.  Still, I'd be they get a lot of talented walk-ons.  I remember a guy that I took some classes with who was a great Division II running back at Abilene Christian, and because of family reasons, had to come back "home" (he was from Baytown) to Lamar after his sophomore year.  He said he still wanted to play and would have walked on if Lamar had a football team.  Heck, there was an intramural flag football team that over half the team had played Juco ball.  And isn't the Lamar Rugby Club one of the best non-sponsored teams around?  I'd bet there's plenty of football talent there.

Guest abovetherim

Wes, you are correct Nwevo will be a senior but he has never used a red-shirt year and the NCAA has a rule which allows for athletes who competed in one sport for four straight years to use the red-shirt year playing another sport. Lamar had a QB who played four years of football. Then he played baseball for one season.

I agree there is a ton of talent walking around the Lamar campus. Is it enough to compete in the SLC? I doubt it but they would provide a foundation on which LU can build a team.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami