2007/2008 SE Texas Coaches On The Move

KFDM COOP

• 2 weeks later...

Before I start let me state that I support Liberty Athletics all the way and did not want to see Coach Stewart let go.

But I do have a question – Why would a “Good†coach be interested in the Liberty job:

1. Good kids – the strength of the program

2. Poor facilities

3. Poor support from the community

4. Parents that continually complain about every loss (every school – I know)

5. A large lack of support from the administration for athletics

6. Low pay for AD position (as posted by the Houston Chronicle)

7. And; from what I have heard – Low pay for assistant coaches.

With these facts why would any qualified coach want to come to Liberty for a job.  I know it sounds like I am down on Liberty – Look I love the town and the people in it and the school is a good place for our kids.  But there has been a long-term lack of support (financially as well as non-financial) for athletics by the community and the School Board. 

Am I missing something?  I love Liberty but see the shortcomings that the next AD will face and really wonder if he will be treated the same as Coach Stewart.

I have not heard much either.  My guess is that Coach Haynes is a wish for Liberty - He did a great job at Hardin and I think he would be hard to get out of that school district.  Donald Douglass I have heard of as well - I do not know that much about him except he was a great player in High School and College and is a current Asst. Coach in the Beaumont area.  I have also heard the name of Coach Sadler (current Asst. Coach) mentioned several times as a possible replacement.

I guess my question still is - All these guys have connections to Liberty from previous years - why has the school not been able to attract anyone else that has not connections to the school?

I have not heard much either.  My guess is that Coach Haynes is a wish for Liberty - He did a great job at Hardin and I think he would be hard to get out of that school district.  Donald Douglass I have heard of as well - I do not know that much about him except he was a great player in High School and College and is a current Asst. Coach in the Beaumont area.  I have also heard the name of Coach Sadler (current Asst. Coach) mentioned several times as a possible replacement.

I guess my question still is - All these guys have connections to Liberty from previous years - why has the school not been able to attract anyone else that has not connections to the school?

I think the hottest name going now is Coach Sadler, the current Asst. Coach. I've heard from a good source that it won't be Donald Douglas or Haynes. Pretty much the only name mentioned now is Sadler. Could be a good move cause he definitly knows the kids. Seems to be very competitive and he did a good job with the baseball program so far. If it is Sadler, I just wonder what kind of offense he will go with. I do think the community will be behind him and welcome him in this new position if he gets the job.

Before I start let me state that I support Liberty Athletics all the way and did not want to see Coach Stewart let go.

But I do have a question – Why would a “Good†coach be interested in the Liberty job:

2. Poor facilities

With these facts why would any qualified coach want to come to Liberty for a job.  I know it sounds like I am down on Liberty – Look I love the town and the people in it and the school is a good place for our kids.  But there has been a long-term lack of support (financially as well as non-financial) for athletics by the community and the School Board. 

Am I missing something?  I love Liberty but see the shortcomings that the next AD will face and really wonder if he will be treated the same as Coach Stewart.

well yeah that is true

Guest tigersvoice

just b/c its not on THSCA doesnt mean its not open.  Heard from a guy in Liberty that Stewart resigned this week

If it's really important, call the Liberty radio station.  THEY WILL KNOW.

• 2 weeks later...

2. Poor facilities

I heard they build a brand new gym

the Liberty job is definitely open (I live here) Stewart resigned, and if he didnt he wont have his contract renewed....

I hadn't heard about Donald Douglass coming back, he was a former Liberty QB/UofH wideout/NFL journeyman/other proleagues.... that would be interesting, esp. if he could keep Anthony Chambers on staff former Liberty QB/Purdue Wideout/punt returner....Donald and Anthony played here when I was young, and obviously by their sucess at the next level they were very, very good... Maybe they could get former runningback Reggie White to come back as well (dont know what he is doing now, he played college ball as well, at a smaller school and a year at Okie State), bring back some of the better days in the 90s of Liberty football....

I dont really understand why the support is coming into question in Liberty, for almost every home game that stadium is full in Liberty, they just don't travel when the team sucks (as it did this year), thats the same with most schools....Liberty doesnt have the great tradition of some of these other southeast Texas teams to draw on, they normally have been in a weaker district and though they make the playoffs most years they very rarely get out of the first round...As far as financial support, Liberty's stadium is old but its a good stadium and large enough for 3a, however I do not know about how much they pay the coaches, probably it is low but Liberty has a lot of low income families and no teachers make a lot of money here, makes sense the coaches are lower normally as well, that really isnt something Liberty can fix though...they only get a certain amount of money so they can only pay what they have....

A-Town – sorry no they have not built a new gym since the High School was built – they did build a new Jr. High School gym but nothing at the High School level.

Sahen – you must not have been to a game in the last 3 – 4 years because the stands have not been full for most home game during those years.  Some games like Homecoming have better crowds than others but overall the stands have plenty of room.  I have had season tickets now for 7 years and have never – that I can remember – not had plenty of room around me.  And my tickets are 7 rows up on the 50-yard line.  UI wish I could say that all the home games had good crowds but in my opinion that is not the case.

Donald Douglas seems to be a decent choice if he wants to come back due to the fact he is a coach at a larger school and might could bring some of that knowledge with him.  However, just because they were good High School players does not make them good coaches – so I wonder about the wisdom of loading the coaching staff with a lot of good ex-players = might work but would be an experiment.  If they could bring the college experiences with them may well be a great idea.

Regarding the Stadium - as an ex-president of the Athletic Booster club we painted the stadium so that is was not solid grey as it was prior to 2003.  The school paid nothing of the cost and the booster club paid for and did all the work.  Really look at the fences that they have (are falling apart), the fact that the scoreboard has not worked (downs, yardage and ball on) have not worked for 2 years and the ticket booths are rotted a lot.  Then visit the locker rooms and you will see what I am talking about.  The field itself is fine but the other parts that make a stadium are in bad condition.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder