District 21 State Rep Race

TxHoops

On 2/22/2024 at 5:52 PM, tvc184 said:

I will vote for Covey but I really don’t think that Phelan, as an incumbent and with name recognition, is in any trouble.

I would venture that in a normal year an incumbent being challenged in a primary would win by about 85%-15%. With this race and Phelan getting so much attention and much of it negative, it might go to Phelan 60/40 or maybe a little less than 40 for Covey.

I would love to be wrong but…..

46-43 Covey and headed to a runoff. 

The Radical Right is in full control. The rep that won District 18 had 0.03% of her last 30 days worth of donations coming from inside the district.  The four-term incumbent that beat her soundly last time made two mistakes. He didn’t back school choice (nobody calls it a voucher program anymore) and he voted to impeach Paxton…. That’s enough to get you run off in Texas in 2024. 

Both races were competitive because a tsunami of MAGA money flowed in, along with endorsements from Abbott, Paxton, Cruz, Patrick and even Trump himself… despite the fact that Trump has no idea who either candidate is, other than somebody saying “sir, could you say something nice about ______, please?” Do you remember when Presidents and former presidents kept their noses out of the primaries? Not anymore. Nobody will argue that both districts are taking massive hits in the quality of leadership in the House, and guys like yourself who are smarter than the average bear know it. It’s what Dr Parigi used to call “The Great Unwashed” being led around by their noses and it’s killing us. At least the radical few got their way. 

18 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

The Radical Right is in full control. The rep that won District 18 had 0.03% of her last 30 days worth of donations coming from inside the district.  The four-term incumbent that beat her soundly last time made two mistakes. He didn’t back school choice (nobody calls it a voucher program anymore) and he voted to impeach Paxton…. That’s enough to get you run off in Texas in 2024. 

Both races were competitive because a tsunami of MAGA money flowed in, along with endorsements from Abbott, Paxton, Cruz, Patrick and even Trump himself… despite the fact that Trump has no idea who either candidate is, other than somebody saying “sir, could you say something nice about ______, please?” Do you remember when Presidents and former presidents kept their noses out of the primaries? Not anymore. Nobody will argue that both districts are taking massive hits in the quality of leadership in the House, and guys like yourself who are smarter than the average bear know it. It’s what Dr Parigi used to call “The Great Unwashed” being led around by their noses and it’s killing us. At least the radical few got their way. 

So where did Phelan’s $9 million come from, local donors?

I can only find Covey with almost $1 million but I am still looking. I am assuming they some of these pages aren’t updated. 

You define radicals as anyone that you don’t agree with. I guess school choice is radical.

It is certainly okay if you don’t like conservative politics but that doesn’t make them radicals. It only means that you lean left and don’t agree. 

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

So where did Phelan’s $9 million come from, local donors?

I can only find Covey with almost $1 million but I am still looking. I am assuming they some of these pages aren’t updated. 

You define radicals as anyone that you don’t agree with. I guess school choice is radical.

It is certainly okay if you don’t like conservative politics but that doesn’t make them radicals. It only means that you lean left and don’t agree. 

I do like conservative politics… I’m a conservative on fiscal and social issues… but i also realize that my opinions are just those… “mine” and “only opinions.”  The problem with us today is that we’re all convinced that we are right and everybody else is wrong. God is on our side, right? Once again… the purpose of representative government is for us to iron out our differences in a manner that we can all live with…. But in 2024, it’s not just Rs not agreeing with Ds, it’s the most extreme Rs consolidating power and not even being able to compromise with moderate republicans, much less democrats. Have a different opinion on “school choice?” You’ll get a letter on your desk from the governor saying “you’ll vote yes on this or we’ll get somebody elected who will.” It looks like Abbott and company will have taken down 5 of the 8 that were targeted. 

They’re starting to sound like the Taliban at this point. 

On 3/5/2024 at 11:57 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Dr. Parigi used to put me to sleep. Lol.