Another school starting football

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

The University of South Alabama is about to start a football program.  They will also use student fees to help fund the program.

"You can't put a price on the exposure that a football program gives to a university," Stokes said.

Moulton has estimated that a new football program would cost between $1 million and $1.5 million in its first year, with a budget growing to about $5 million by the program's fifth year.

The majority of that cost would be covered by a $200 to $300 annual increase in student fees.

"The main ingredient is our students' enthusiasm and willingness to support this program," Moulton said. "That's what I've heard the loudest and the clearest."

Since they're already in the Sunbelt Conference they won't stick around at the FCS level for long.  After a few years at the FCS level they'll transition to FBS by 2015.  Since Lamar is no longer in the Sunbelt they'll have a harder time getting to a FBS conference.

http://www.al.com/news/press-register/index.ssf?/base/news/1196418255307080.xml&coll=3

La Salle University to Drop Football

Diminished Pool of Suitable Opponents Key Factor in Decision

Nov. 19, 2007

PHILADELPHIA, PA - La Salle University has announced that it will discontinue its football program effective immediately.

"This was a very difficult decision, and I announce it with a real sense of disappointment," stated Director of Athletics, Dr. Thomas Brennan. "La Salle instituted a non-scholarship football program in 1997 and subsequently joined the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Football League.  However, the steady dissolution of the MAAC Football League and the changing landscape of collegiate football have negatively affected our program and led us to this decision. "

http://goexplorers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111907aac.html

Guest coachacola

It's official, South Alabama's board of regents have approved football.  They are looking at fielding a team in 2009 and will by FBS by 2013.  They will also have a 200 member marching band. 

Come one Lamar, you're next!!

http://www.beltboard.com/forum/forum_entry.php?id=31986&page=0&category=all&order=time

They'll be playing in this 40,000 seat stadium:

laddpeebles.jpg

Guest coachacola

I heard a rumor today that will blow your mind. No time right now to post, gotta go.

Sorry, don't believe you.  If you had time to post that message then you had time to post the rumor.

Guest abovetherim

I don't know UNLV has made some outragous statements but I find a lot of factual information is some of his post. Maybe it (the rumor) held a lot of information because he hasn't been on line since making that post.

Guest coachacola

UNLV is on the computer almost as much as you and I, so I think he's trying to build up the drama.  It's like watching TV and they have a 10 second teaser about some major disaster and they say "...details at 10."  I hate that!!

I meant to post the information after I made a quick run, two hours to build suspense, I didn't mean it to be

2 days...lol, oops.

Ok, this is what I heard. LU's private donations for football is already in the millions...DOUBLE DIGIT MILLIONS.

add that to the Texas st system money of $17 million, we are talking a minimum of $27 Million for football so far...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed