Is this the best Dayton Bronco team ever??

This is the best team in one major respect - teams of the past had three or four outstanding performers who led the team, and these teams from 1961, 1998, and 2002 were senior dominated teams. One of our biggest playmakers, AJ Dugat is a junior. Our leading tacklers each and every game are sophomore Moises Herrera and junior Fred Hynson. Yes, Brent Kimmy on the defensive front is a senior, however, Aaron Jenkins (32), Chris Young (45), and Evan Brown (25) are sophomores, while Xavier Edwards (60) is a junior.

On the offensive line, the center, Robert Billings and the right guard, Jon Pittsenbarger are seniors, but the RT, Tony Hill (77) is a sophomore, LG Anthony St. Julian and LT Ray Samuels are juniors.

That kind of returning nucleus can't make next year's opponents not be a bit apprehensive about another powerhouse Bronco team. The point is that this is not a senior-laden team, but has more widespread talent across it than any Bronco team I've seen in the past, well, since the 1960's.

The 1998 and 2002 squads have the most wins in Dayton history, both going 12-1. 

The 1961 and 1931 squads came the closest to winning a state title.  The 1961 team made it to the state quarterfinals.  The 1931 team didn't have the opportunity to win a state title as the UIL didn't allow the lower classifications to play more than 2 playoff games, but the team was undefeated (11-0-1) and were one of only 7 Regional Champs across the state in Class B that year.

I believe the team with Pearson and Edwards had better linemen, but this team has much more overall speed and more playmakers, let us not forget that this team is playing with a 2nd string QB that has been lights out, maybe the best QB in any classification in region III.  Opponents need to remember that the 1st string QB will be a senior next year, along with AJ (in my opinion the best overall football player in 22-4A).  Bronco fans can look to the future with big smiles with all the juniors and sophomores playing on this team.

I believe the team with Pearson and Edwards had better linemen, but this team has much more overall speed and more playmakers, let us not forget that this team is playing with a 2nd string QB that has been lights out, maybe the best QB in any classification in region III.  Opponents need to remember that the 1st string QB will be a senior next year, along with AJ (in my opinion the best overall football player in 22-4A).  Bronco fans can look to the future with big smiles with all the juniors and sophomores playing on this team.

Speaking of Cody, how is he doing? How is his rehibilatation coming along? It's ashame he will miss basketball too, he is a darn good basketball player also.

I have pondered this myself. I definitely think this group of boys are better at playing as a team. I taught several of the boys on both the 2002 squad and this one. The attitude seems more team oriented rather than individual. The 2002 squad seemed to center around individuals, not that they weren't great players on that team in their own right. I also knew several of the boys on the 1998 squad because they played with my brother and I am certain that this squad is more of a "team" than they were. That squad also seemed to be centered around only individuals and in particular, Pearson, not that they weren't great athletes. You just can't advance if you only have one or two playmakers. This year's squad has multiple players who step up and can score at any given time as well as make the plays on defense. I do not think anyone should doubt their ability because of their record. When any team loses a leader, whether on offense or defense, the team has to make adjustments and this takes time.

Guest whoabroncos09

cody is fine. i dont think he is in his walking boot anymore...

and he also decided before his injury that he would not be playing basketball this year.

he is just working on football.

but he will be back come track season.

These "best" comparisons are always tough.  You really can't be very scientific about it so it comes down to subjectivity.

One thing can be said for sure:  I don't know if they are the BEST ever but win this week and it is the most SUCCESSFUL Dayton team ever.

I agree

This is the best team in one major respect - teams of the past had three or four outstanding performers who led the team, and these teams from 1961, 1998, and 2002 were senior dominated teams. One of our biggest playmakers, AJ Dugat is a junior. Our leading tacklers each and every game are sophomore Moises Herrera and junior Fred Hynson. Yes, Brent Kimmy on the defensive front is a senior, however, Aaron Jenkins (32), Chris Young (45), and Evan Brown (25) are sophomores, while Xavier Edwards (60) is a junior.

On the offensive line, the center, Robert Billings and the right guard, Jon Pittsenbarger are seniors, but the RT, Tony Hill (77) is a sophomore, LG Anthony St. Julian and LT Ray Samuels are juniors.

That kind of returning nucleus can't make next year's opponents not be a bit apprehensive about another powerhouse Bronco team. The point is that this is not a senior-laden team, but has more widespread talent across it than any Bronco team I've seen in the past, well, since the 1960's.

the 2002 team was mostly juniors

The 2003 team went 4-1 in non-distict with the 20-19 loss to Channelview being the only loss of the regular season. The Broncos swept through district, then defeated Houston Waltrip, 45-6 in Dayton for bi-district. We fell to Bay City, 22-16 in area, due mainly to a dropped ball that was picked up and advanced for a touchdown after a return of about 15-18 yards.

Guest TravelingBandsman

It's funny. I was only a freshmen in high school in the '03 season, but I barely remember that Bay City game. I don't remember much from the '03 football season for some reason. I certainly remembered being in 8th grade and following the '02 season around, but for some reason, I didn't keep it together that year. I definitely think this is the best team we've ever had, especially if we make it to state. It will be hard but I think we can do it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder