PN-G vs Montgomery Lake Creek #3 vs #1

prepballfan

2 minutes ago, 1970 said:

PNG is the underdog, ranked #3, playing the #1.  Go get-em, PNG! 

I think the computer is giving MLC a lot of credit for running up the score against already defeated teams. They don’t play defense, and their offense isn’t nearly so good against even decent competition. I normally don’t feel confident going into a playoff game, but I think we’re going to embarrass them. 

2 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I think the computer is giving MLC a lot of credit for running up the score against already defeated teams. They don’t play defense, and their offense isn’t nearly so good against even decent competition. I normally don’t feel confident going into a playoff game, but I think we’re going to embarrass them. 

Ordinary admonitions about respecting opponents, not being overconfident and preparing accordingly aside, I agree with the assessments about Montgomery Lake Creek making themselves look more unbeatable than they really are by running up the score against subpar competition.

That being said, “embarrass” is a strong word. Will we expose them? I think so. Will we embarrass them? I’m doubtful. I feel confident picking the Indians by one possession, but no more than two.

1 hour ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Ordinary admonitions about respecting opponents, not being overconfident and preparing accordingly aside, I agree with the assessments about Montgomery Lake Creek making themselves look more unbeatable than they really are by running up the score against subpar competition.

That being said, “embarrass” is a strong word. Will we expose them? I think so. Will we embarrass them? I’m doubtful. I feel confident picking the Indians by one possession, but no more than two.

Wouldn’t that be an embarrassment? To take a team that thinks it’s an unstoppable juggernaut and demonstrate that it can be controlled? To win, we’ll have to stop them consistently. If we do that, we prove they were just bullying the little kids and pretending that meant they could do the same to the big kids. Add the #1 ranking, that’s prime embarrassment territory. So, I think of it as embarrassment as proof-of-concept. But, I also won’t be surprised if we’re comfortably in control the entire time and quietly build a double, triple-digit score. In 28 games at PNG under this coaching staff, the defense failed to show up in only one of them (the very first). We have the system and guys to do it. That being said, “embarrassment” isn’t the goal. I’ll take a one-point win. 

1 hour ago, cal81 said:

PN-G 35  Lake Creek 21.  

Other than 24 by Memorial in week one, 20 points is the most any team has scored against our starting defense this season.

WOS 20

Ned 9

Fort Bend Willowridge 20

TX City 16

"Starting" = playing regularly, in my way of thinking.  For example, there are linebackers that swap in and out, and rotate who plays the initial series.  Perhaps the same with some of the linemen. 

But I know what you mean, and agree. Against Galena Park pretty much all of the defense and offense were back-ups to the back-ups, playing various positions. #11 was QB, eg; and I didn't know who the defensive linemen and linebackers were, and neither did the press box, he was just announcing numbers, and no names. 

Shea returning has given the team a new spark, and the seniors can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think they are ready and anxious to get onto the field against this #1 ranked team and get it on.  

48 minutes ago, 1970 said:

"Starting" = playing regularly, in my way of thinking.  For example, there are linebackers that swap in and out, and rotate who plays the initial series.  Perhaps the same with some of the linemen. 

But I know what you mean, and agree. Against Galena Park pretty much all of the defense and offense were back-ups to the back-ups, playing various positions. #11 was QB, eg; and I didn't know who the defensive linemen and linebackers were, and neither did the press box, he was just announcing numbers, and no names. 

Shea returning has given the team a new spark, and the seniors can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think they are ready and anxious to get onto the field against this #1 ranked team and get it on.  

I'm sure the coaches have picked up on this but when Byars is getting the ball he has a "tell" he gets a running start before he is handed the ball I'm sure the coaches have picked up on it too

3 minutes ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

I'm sure the coaches have picked up on this but when Byars is getting the ball he has a "tell" he gets a running start before he is handed the ball I'm sure the coaches have picked up on it too

Where are you finding good Montgomery video? I keep just getting highlights 

31 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Where are you finding good Montgomery video? I keep just getting highlights 

Huntsville gave this game away.  You can also compare another common opponent with Huntsville when they beat Brenham by 3.  Brenham also played without their RB #17 and fell behind early 15-0.  I honestly think we bully LC.  

6 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

It’s a drop step but he does it on play action passes and the QB will also pull it and go so not a lot of a tell. Only time he doesn’t is when he is going out for pass or is just pass blocking. Somewhat of a tell but can’t sell out on it. 

8 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Wouldn’t that be an embarrassment? To take a team that thinks it’s an unstoppable juggernaut and demonstrate that it can be controlled? To win, we’ll have to stop them consistently. If we do that, we prove they were just bullying the little kids and pretending that meant they could do the same to the big kids. Add the #1 ranking, that’s prime embarrassment territory. So, I think of it as embarrassment as proof-of-concept. But, I also won’t be surprised if we’re comfortably in control the entire time and quietly build a double, triple-digit score. In 28 games at PNG under this coaching staff, the defense failed to show up in only one of them (the very first). We have the system and guys to do it. That being said, “embarrassment” isn’t the goal. I’ll take a one-point win. 

If PN-G were unranked, yes. But undefeated #1 losing a close game to one loss #3 in the third round is hardly an embarrassment, in my view. An embarrassment in this situation is a blowout loss either way.

3 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

If PN-G were unranked, yes. But undefeated #1 losing a close game to one loss #3 in the third round is hardly an embarrassment, in my view. An embarrassment in this situation is a blowout loss either way.

I hear you, and I agree. I’m not wedded to the word “embarrass.” The part of me that wants to accurately predict the score responsibly knows it will likely be a one-score game. There’s another part, based on specific characteristics and tendencies of both teams, that sees ways that we specifically can counter what they do, and they don’t have a specific counter to what we do, and that could result in a lopsided and uncharacteristic score. It could easily go the other way. We’ve got flaws. We’ll have to see.