SOC possibly forfeiting State Championship !!!

LUPatriot

By BRETT SHIPP / WFAA-TV

DALLAS - The South Oak Cliff Golden Bears have become a basketball dynasty in Dallas.

However, while the high school team has won three state championships in a row, at least one of those titles could be in jeopardy.

News 8 has learned one of South Oak Cliff's star players was a less than stellar student who perhaps shouldn't have been on the 2005-2006 team at all.

South Oak Cliff's Kendrake Johnigan was one of the team's star players, pumping in critical points in his team's state title game against rival Fort Worth Dunbar.

After the game, Governor Rick Perry congratulated Johnigan for his on the court heroics.

But were the praises deserved, and did South Oak Cliff win the championship fair and square? According to the state's strict no pass, no play rules, maybe not.

The rule stipulates an athlete must be passing every course, every six weeks in order to be eligible to play.

District records obtained by News 8, however, suggested Johnigan was in fact, ineligible.

According to attendance records from Johnigan's English class in the spring of 2006, Johnigan had six straight unexcused absences in the days leading up to the state championship game, followed by a penciled in "D," indicating the class, required by state law, had been dropped.

According to a grade change form, Johnigan was failing the class with the lowest grade possible, a 50.

Any such player should have been declared ineligible to play, said Charles Breithaupt, the University Interscholastic League Director of Athletics.

"If he drops a class after the first two weeks of the school year and he's failing, then that's considered a failing grade," he said.

A failing grade would mean Johnigan should not have been eligible to play and that South Oak Cliff should possibly be made to forfeit its state title.

"So, if he has participated while doing those things, then the school is responsible and the principal is responsible for making certain that doesn't occur," Breithaupt said. "And if it does, then those games must be forfeited."

Today, Johnigan is a high-scoring player for Eastfield Junior College, and apparently, far removed from what happened his senior year at South Oak Cliff.

"I got a high school diploma, so I'm satisfied," he said after a recent game.

Johnigan first said he didn't remember transferring out of his English III class, but then corrected himself.

"It was that I just didn't know I had that class," he said. "I had the class and I didn't know I had the class."

But a class schedule change form obtained by News 8 showed that on February 28, 2006, less than two weeks before the championship game, Johnigan was removed from English III and placed in a physical education class. He was also assigned to bring up his failing grades in a "reconnect class after school." The document was signed by his counselor, Cheryl Mosby, and the head basketball coach, James Mays II.

Mays admitted to signing the form transferring Johnigan out of the class he was failing, and said he was told to do just that by Mosby.

Mosby said she remembers Kendrake, but does not remember approving his removal from class.

So, how did Johnigan remain on the team and help lead it to a state title?

Another document obtained by News 8 showed Johnigan's failing grade of 50 changed to a passing 73. The document was signed by the English teacher and the only person authorized to approve such a change, then Principal Donald Moten.

In May of 2006, Moten was the focus of a News 8 investigation into alleged grade changing at South Oak Cliff. It's unclear if the allegations were ever pursued by district officials.

Moten has yet to respond to News 8 requests for an interview.

Superintendent Michael Hinojosa said he intends to fully investigate the matter now that it has been brought to his attention.

"We have the highest expectations that we do things right," he said. "We are very proud of our students when they are successful, but we expect to win by the rules."

UIL officials said they also plan to open an investigation.

he's eligible, his offical grade is a 73, the strictness of the no pass no play rule goes both ways, he passed that class even if he was given help. (its not likely that other students haven't got this, we all know thats the stud running back and quater back can't fail a class. 

official grade 73 my ass,you got to earn a grade by going to class and doing the work.just another kid put through the system cuz of athletic ability,what is he going to have if he does'nt make the nba,which is doubtful.eastfeild jr. college???players,coaches,teachers,counselors,parents,&principals are all accountable. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476