New NCAA DI &DII Football rules

1 hour ago, pine curtain said:

why?  it is not much different from what they do now.

the clock stops for maybe 10 seconds to reset the chains.

most crews start it as soon as the ball is set.

The intent is to speed up the college game. They probably have much more capable officiating crews. Is there a problem with high school games running long?

Toss in that college has 15 minute quarters but high school only 12 minutes. The college game is the equivalent of 5 12 minute periods. 

I just don’t see where there is the need to speed up a high school game.

4 hours ago, pine curtain said:

why?  it is not much different from what they do now.

the clock stops for maybe 10 seconds to reset the chains.

most crews start it as soon as the ball is set.

It really bothers me they now just guesstimate if a 1st down is made. I have seen them pull up and move the sticks before there is any possibility of the ball being spotted, within an inch or two of the line to make. I almost never see measurements anymore. 

4 hours ago, tvc184 said:

The intent is to speed up the college game. They probably have much more capable officiating crews. Is there a problem with high school games running long?

Toss in that college has 15 minute quarters but high school only 12 minutes. The college game is the equivalent of 5 12 minute periods. 

I just don’t see where there is the need to speed up a high school game.

That rule change just lines up with what the NFL already does. 

It is not about shortening the game. Watch NCAA will add another media time out or 2 with the time they save on first downs. 

this rule will save approx  5 per game.

High school already uses this exception since they have 12 min quarters.

1. 3-3-2-d-2 . Starts on the Snap. For each of the following, the game clock is stopped on an official’s signal. If the next play begins with a snap, the game clock will start on the snap:
    2. With fewer than two minutes remaining in a half a Team A ball carrier, fumble or backward pass is ruled out of bounds. (
    Exception: After a Team A forward fumble, the clock starts on the referee’s signal.)

EXCEPTION: 3-3-2-d-2. Replace 3-3-2-d-2 with:
    A 
    Team A ball carrier, fumble or backward pass is ruled out of bounds. (Exception: After a Team A forward fumble, the clock starts on the referee’s signal.).

3 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

It really bothers me they now just guesstimate if a 1st down is made. I have seen them pull up and move the sticks before there is any possibility of the ball being spotted, within an inch or two of the line to make. I almost never see measurements anymore. 

more turf fields equals less measurements.

1 hour ago, pine curtain said:

more turf fields equals less measurements.

Once the ball is spotted, I fully agree. What I am referring though to is the side judge waving the sticks forward before the ball is even spotted. Of course if its clearly a first down that is fine, but I see sticks move forward before its possible to see. Seems like if its within a ball length its close enough now.     

3 hours ago, pine curtain said:

That rule change just lines up with what the NFL already does. 

It is not about shortening the game. Watch NCAA will add another media time out or 2 with the time they save on first downs. 

this rule will save approx  5 per game.

High school already uses this exception since they have 12 min quarters.

1. 3-3-2-d-2 . Starts on the Snap. For each of the following, the game clock is stopped on an official’s signal. If the next play begins with a snap, the game clock will start on the snap:
    2. With fewer than two minutes remaining in a half a Team A ball carrier, fumble or backward pass is ruled out of bounds. (
    Exception: After a Team A forward fumble, the clock starts on the referee’s signal.)

EXCEPTION: 3-3-2-d-2. Replace 3-3-2-d-2 with:
    A 
    Team A ball carrier, fumble or backward pass is ruled out of bounds. (Exception: After a Team A forward fumble, the clock starts on the referee’s signal.).

This from one website:
Three changes aimed at shortening Division I and II college football games and reducing the number of plays per contest next season were approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, the NCAA announced Friday.

The NCAA’s own website said it is to better manage the game to cut down on plays. It never mentions the NFL that I could find.