BUNA NEW COACH

9 hours ago, Hawks18 said:

Typical small town politics you, would rather hire the coach with one year of being an assistant coach than someone who has multiple years, Weather it was a grad assistant or not.

Now all of a sudden people are blaming the school for Girola leaving, but when he was at buna all people did was talk crap about him because he wasn’t living to to y’all’s expectations.

And I know for a fact that the SUP doesn’t know his dad but I guess because she’s black they have to know each other.

It’s sad that all just because buna has a black SUP she HAD to have something to do with hiring one of the few if not the only black coach that’s not from buna but go ahead continue to show y’all’s true colors if Donny lee was still there would his decision have been questioned? 

Absolutely his decision would have been questioned. Girola left because of the previous AD Kinne. So yes, it was administration's fault. I can tell you this, I certainly don't care about the color of the guy's skin. I care about 6-51, and 0-28 last season. Let's not try to overshadow the real issue here by gaslighting by creating a race issue that isn't there. 

15 minutes ago, gogo173489 said:

Absolutely his decision would have been questioned. Girola left because of the previous AD Kinne. So yes, it was administration's fault. I can tell you this, I certainly don't care about the color of the guy's skin. I care about 6-51, and 0-28 last season. Let's not try to overshadow the real issue here by gaslighting by creating a race issue that isn't there. 

So what’s connell’s record a head coach? He has one year as an assistant coach. Now if people were this pissed about not hiring the person with 100 wins it would be understandable because sounds like he has more experience than both of them combined but all everyone keeps saying is Connell and what all his family does in buna. 

3 minutes ago, Hawks18 said:

So what’s connell’s record a head coach? He has one year as an assistant coach. Now if people were this pissed about not hiring the person with 100 wins it would be understandable because sounds like he has more experience than both of them combined but all everyone keeps saying is Connell and what all his family does in buna. 

That's the problem. 6-51 is experience, yes, but it's not good experience. So be honest about the experience you speak of in this situation. The guy with 100 wins removed his name from consideration because he felt like the team interviewing him had already made up their mind and was uninterested in his interview. There are many upset about that as well. 

13 minutes ago, Hawks18 said:

Saying all of this, I hope Coach Johnson is very successful at Buna and erases a lot of doubt early on. He will certainly have the players to do just that.

52 minutes ago, gogo173489 said:

That's the problem. 6-51 is experience, yes, but it's not good experience. So be honest about the experience you speak of in this situation. The guy with 100 wins removed his name from consideration because he felt like the team interviewing him had already made up their mind and was uninterested in his interview. There are many upset about that as well. 

I understand, I just want people to give him a shot I don’t know him but I’ve talked to people that have said great things about his coaching abilities and his personality. Hopefully the players aren’t hearing this and deciding they don’t want to play because they have a chance at being pretty good

8 hours ago, gogo173489 said:

What kind of talent did Chilton have compared to their opponents.  Since we know what kind of experience it was, you must be able to let us know their strengths and weaknesses compared to their opponents.   So when Kountze was god awful for a couple of years, Joubert forgot how to coach for a couple of seasons?

@TxHoops obviously your a huge fan of Coach Johnson and hopefully you are right. But honestly his 6-51 experience with his second year not showing any improvement from the first year, how do you get a head coaching job.  You figure he would be committed to righting the ship at Chilton or maybe getting an assistant job to figure out what is not working.  Connell does not have experience yet but there is only one way for him to get it and whoever gives him that first chance will not be disappointed.  Orange field boys job is now open which is in our district, its hard for me to believe that he would get an interview with a 6-51 record.  Like it or not part of coaching is winning. 

Don't get me wrong our program has not been head and shoulders above everyone else but we have consistently put a competitive team together that makes the playoffs.  But there is nothing wrong with us wanting a young man that is from here and has given his heart and soul to this town. What's wrong with our own kids graduating going off, playing college ball, coming home and taking over the program they are from.  It happens all the time in the college ranks, some high school but for some reason here in Buna we don't hire our own unless they are from a select group of families. Lastly and I am moving on, I hope Coach Johnson does a great job and we're going to show him support.

On 4/21/2023 at 4:01 PM, TxHoops said:

What kind of talent did Chilton have compared to their opponents.  Since we know what kind of experience it was, you must be able to let us know their strengths and weaknesses compared to their opponents.   So when Kountze was god awful for a couple of years, Joubert forgot how to coach for a couple of seasons?

So we're comparing Johnson to Joubert now? It's a bit silly to even acknowledge your comment but I'll give it a go. At no point during Coach Joubert's career has he went 6-51 over the course of 2 seasons. Never had a winless season either. Like I have said, I hope Coach Johnson does great at Buna, and proves any naysayers wrong, but I have my doubts.

49 minutes ago, gogo173489 said:

So we're comparing Johnson to Joubert now? It's a bit silly to even acknowledge your comment but I'll give it a go. At no point during Coach Joubert's career has he went 6-51 over the course of 2 seasons. Never had a winless season either. Like I have said, I hope Coach Johnson does great at Buna, and proves any naysayers wrong, but I have my doubts.

Joubert had a 3-20 season recently.  So he won 3 games more than zero.  Fantastic.  I’m sure he momentarily forgot how to coach that season. 

But thanks, by omission, for admitting you know nothing about Chilton girl’s basketball other than what you found on MaxPreps.  You don’t know a thing about their personnel or their opponents.  It may be “silly” for me to assume this, but it seems pretty obvious to be the case.  I, unlike you, can tell you that during the season where the Lions won 3 games (according to MaxPreps - like you, have no idea if that’s accurate because, well, MaxPreps), his team was pretty bad (and that may be kind).  I saw them play more than once with my own eyes.  If they did only win 3 games, that doesn’t surprise me.  

15 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Joubert had a 3-20 season recently.  So he won 3 games more than zero.  Fantastic.  I’m sure he momentarily forgot how to coach that season. 

But thanks, by omission, for admitting you know nothing about Chilton girl’s basketball other than what you found on MaxPreps.  You don’t know a thing about their personnel or their opponents.  It may be “silly” for me to assume this, but it seems pretty obvious to be the case.  I, unlike you, can tell you that during the season where the Lions won 3 games (according to MaxPreps - like you, have no idea if that’s accurate because, well, MaxPreps), his team was pretty bad (and that may be kind).  I saw them play more than once with my own eyes.  If they did only win 3 games, that doesn’t surprise me.  

In the words of my MeeMee - You can't make chicken salad outta chicken ....!  

On 4/25/2023 at 12:23 PM, TxHoops said:

I've done my research other than MaxPreps. MaxPreps shows Chilton at 0-19 last season, when in fact they were 0-28. The season before the actual record was 6-23 (MaxPreps says 6-6). During the 6-23 season Chilton had a play in game for the 4th seed which they lost. During those 2 seasons, only one team made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs from that district, the district champion in the 2021-2022 season. Telling me the district as a whole was fairly weak during his time at Chilton. Either way, by the time Kountze had a bad season under Joubert's watch, he had earned a pass. KJ doesn't have a track record of success to have earned that. I'll stand by my statement that if any coach with a 6-51 career record had applied for the boys job he would not have gotten an interview. 

10 hours ago, gogo173489 said:

I've done my research other than MaxPreps. MaxPreps shows Chilton at 0-19 last season, when in fact they were 0-28. The season before the actual record was 6-23 (MaxPreps says 6-6). During the 6-23 season Chilton had a play in game for the 4th seed which they lost. During those 2 seasons, only one team made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs from that district, the district champion in the 2021-2022 season. Telling me the district as a whole was fairly weak during his time at Chilton. Either way, by the time Kountze had a bad season under Joubert's watch, he had earned a pass. KJ doesn't have a track record of success to have earned that. I'll stand by my statement that if any coach with a 6-51 career record had applied for the boys job he would not have gotten an interview. 

Ok, ok.  You did at least do some research to get the correct records.  I still suspect you’ve seen zero of their games over the past two years or seen KJ coach a single game.  I wouldn’t expect you to, it’s 2A girls basketball.  Not like it’s televised.  But from what it sounds like, it came down to a couple of guys that actually wanted the job and your administration hired the more experienced.  I’m sure they wish they had more interest in the job.  And speaking of the boys job, I wonder how much interest they would have gotten there too.  You see, when the local “experts” run off a historically GREAT (not just good) coach, word tends to get around and the more qualified guys (and gals) may shy away. So KJ could be the best women’s coach since Hyden there and I suppose it’s possible your comrades still won’t be satisfied. Tough gig over there. 

14 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Ok, ok.  You did at least do some research to get the correct records.  I still suspect you’ve seen zero of their games over the past two years or seen KJ coach a single game.  I wouldn’t expect you to, it’s 2A girls basketball.  Not like it’s televised.  But from what it sounds like, it came down to a couple of guys that actually wanted the job and your administration hired the more experienced.  I’m sure they wish they had more interest in the job.  And speaking of the boys job, I wonder how much interest they would have gotten there too.  You see, when the local “experts” run off a historically GREAT (not just good) coach, word tends to get around and the more qualified guys (and gals) may shy away. So KJ could be the best women’s coach since Hyden there and I suppose it’s possible your comrades still won’t be satisfied. Tough gig over there. 

No one ran off Girola. He left because of issues with the previous AD. So wherever you're getting that information from is incorrect. I can't remember the last time a coach was "ran off" due to the public opinion of "local experts." Many stay for a very long time. (Morgan, Terrier) Most, not all, leave because Buna can't pay them what they're worth. Whitmire left for a better paying job at a larger school. He's as assistant there and makes more than what Buna could pay him. No one ran him off either. You're just throwing a bunch of crap against the wall to see if you can get it to stick. Your actual knowledge of what is happening or has happened in Buna is zero. You can continue to try and defend the hire of a coach who could only manage 6 wins in two seasons at the 2A level if you like. Also, we just hired a new boys coach last season. There was plenty of interest in that job. We got a good one in Wilson. 

1 hour ago, gogo173489 said:

No one ran off Girola. He left because of issues with the previous AD. So wherever you're getting that information from is incorrect. I can't remember the last time a coach was "ran off" due to the public opinion of "local experts." Many stay for a very long time. (Morgan, Terrier) Most, not all, leave because Buna can't pay them what they're worth. Whitmire left for a better paying job at a larger school. He's as assistant there and makes more than what Buna could pay him. No one ran him off either. You're just throwing a bunch of crap against the wall to see if you can get it to stick. Your actual knowledge of what is happening or has happened in Buna is zero. You can continue to try and defend the hire of a coach who could only manage 6 wins in two seasons at the 2A level if you like. Also, we just hired a new boys coach last season. There was plenty of interest in that job. We got a good one in Wilson. 

No one is talking about Girola.  I don’t even know who that is.  And don’t assume what I know or don’t know on the boys’ side.  Maybe you are the one who is clueless there. 

3 hours ago, TxHoops said:

No one is talking about Girola.  I don’t even know who that is.  And don’t assume what I know or don’t know on the boys’ side.  Maybe you are the one who is clueless there. 

Girola left for Orangefield last season. He was the coach of the girl's basketball team in Buna for quite a while. I didn't say boy's side or girl's side. I said you don't know anything about what is or has gone on in Buna at all. You're just making generalizations to insinuate things that didn't happen. Also, you clearly have some sort of strange issue with folks from Buna having legitimate questions about a coaching hire. The guy that was hired is 6-51 on his career. I don't care what his team was like or what teams they played at the 2A level. People have concerns about the hire, and they should. 

15 hours ago, gogo173489 said:

Girola left for Orangefield last season. He was the coach of the girl's basketball team in Buna for quite a while. I didn't say boy's side or girl's side. I said you don't know anything about what is or has gone on in Buna at all. You're just making generalizations to insinuate things that didn't happen. Also, you clearly have some sort of strange issue with folks from Buna having legitimate questions about a coaching hire. The guy that was hired is 6-51 on his career. I don't care what his team was like or what teams they played at the 2A level. People have concerns about the hire, and they should. 

And I’m saying said folks may be the very reason you only had two candidates who even wanted the job.  And the same folks are on here arguing the one who should have been hired is a kid who wouldn’t have been considered for a head varsity job anywhere else.  So yes, seems some delusion is going on.  The same delusion that cost you guys a coach who didn’t just move on for more money.  But you appear to be out of that loop so we will leave it at that.  

On 4/29/2023 at 6:58 AM, TxHoops said:

And I’m saying said folks may be the very reason you only had two candidates who even wanted the job.  And the same folks are on here arguing the one who should have been hired is a kid who wouldn’t have been considered for a head varsity job anywhere else.  So yes, seems some delusion is going on.  The same delusion that cost you guys a coach who didn’t just move on for more money.  But you appear to be out of that loop so we will leave it at that.  

I'm not out of any loop I can assure you. However, you appear to be out of the loop in Orangefield since you have no idea who Eric Girola is. I know people made FB posts about Whitmire, etc., but he didn't leave because of that. Every coach gets that kind of crap everywhere you go. There is no perfect job. You do realize KJ and Connell are the same age right? So calling Connell "kid" to degrade him or somehow make him seem unqualified is childish and unnecessary. 

@TxHoops that is a hard Jab at Connell calling him a kid.  He is far from that but if you actually knew as much as you thought you did you would know they're about the same age as @gogo173489 stated. I had let this topic go after my last post because I really do hope Coach Johnson does well and I will always give someone a fair go at it.  To address only 2 candidates that was because the only place BunaISD posted the jobs to my understanding was their website. I've been told the job did not get posted to any of the other coaching sites where coaches find jobs.  To me this is  a problem that BISD needs to fix to get a more competitive field or it was done because the job was already a done deal. Again and I will say it again, we now have Coach Johnson and hope he does great.

23 minutes ago, Johnny Carson said:

@TxHoops that is a hard Jab at Connell calling him a kid.  He is far from that but if you actually knew as much as you thought you did you would know they're about the same age as @gogo173489 stated. I had let this topic go after my last post because I really do hope Coach Johnson does well and I will always give someone a fair go at it.  To address only 2 candidates that was because the only place BunaISD posted the jobs to my understanding was their website. I've been told the job did not get posted to any of the other coaching sites where coaches find jobs.  To me this is  a problem that BISD needs to fix to get a more competitive field or it was done because the job was already a done deal. Again and I will say it again, we now have Coach Johnson and hope he does great.

Wasn’t meant to be a jab.  I’m old.  KJ is a kid to me too.  But point taken.  It wasn’t at all meant to be a derogatory statement.  I would imagine Remi will make a fine coach.  Always been impressed with him, his dad, and his brothers. 

3 hours ago, gogo173489 said:

I'm not out of any loop I can assure you. However, you appear to be out of the loop in Orangefield since you have no idea who Eric Girola is. I know people made FB posts about Whitmire, etc., but he didn't leave because of that. Every coach gets that kind of crap everywhere you go. There is no perfect job. You do realize KJ and Connell are the same age right? So calling Connell "kid" to degrade him or somehow make him seem unqualified is childish and unnecessary. 

See post above regarding the kid comment.  Most definitely was not intended as a slight.  Just showing my age.  And I’m definitely out of the loop with regard to Orangefield girls basketball and most always have been. 

• 7 months later...

And I will say though that we are greatly enjoying the eldest Connell in Orangefield.  I sat behind the bench recently during a varsity game.  He’s gonna be a really good one. But he needs to stay with boys basketball anyway.  He will keep that nice head of hair longer.  (I promise that wasn’t a dig on you Manny!)

On 12/2/2023 at 7:51 PM, TxHoops said:

And I will say though that we are greatly enjoying the eldest Connell in Orangefield.  I sat behind the bench recently during a varsity game.  He’s gonna be a really good one. But he needs to stay with boys basketball anyway.  He will keep that nice head of hair longer.  (I promise that wasn’t a dig on you Manny!)

You're getting to see what we knew we had in Buna with him. He's a great young man, and the sky is the limit for him.