BUNA NEW COACH

I understand on paper it looked questionable.  But I knew what kind of basketball mind KJ has and his passion for the game.  And he’s always wanted to coach girls.  It was a diamond in the rough situation to me. 

I also understand how well liked Remi deservedly is there.  But I think he will end up being thankful he stayed with boys.  I tend to believe things happen for a reason. He’s destined to be a very good one, maybe even a great one. 

13 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I understand on paper it looked questionable.  But I knew what kind of basketball mind KJ has and his passion for the game.  And he’s always wanted to coach girls.  It was a diamond in the rough situation to me. 

I also understand how well liked Remi deservedly is there.  But I think he will end up being thankful he stayed with boys.  I tend to believe things happen for a reason. He’s destined to be a very good one, maybe even a great one. 

Couldn't agree more. I think both coaches ended up where they are supposed to be. Even though I am one of the people who didn't want to see Remi leave. He will have a head coaching job sooner than later. He's gonna be great. KJ is also doing one hell of a job with the girls in Buna, and is going to be great with our girls program. In the end, both sides of this argument had merit because both coaches are good! I know OF and Buna should both be very happy with those hires.

On 12/6/2023 at 8:04 AM, hjhawks said:

At what point do the folks who were bashing the hire come on here and offer their apologies?

Here you go.. I don't apologize for sticking up for Remi getting what I believe he had earned. However, I most certainly owe an apology for simply judging KJ on his coaching record. So, I apologize, I was wrong!

1 hour ago, TXHORN_ET said:

I’m just speaking in general terms here and not for or against any school or coach. It sure helps when one has good players. As long as the wins keep rolling in, all is well.  Look out of the losses pile up. 

That’s certainly true.  But both of these young men are extremely bright and energetic.  I haven’t seen KJ yet with Buna, but I can tell you the level of coaching (in a varsity game) I saw from Remi quite frankly surprised me. And I went in expecting a lot.  He is wayyy beyond his years and was doing more than I’ve seen an assistant do 99 percent of the time.  Reminded me a bit of a couple of current highly successful coaches when they were assistants at high profile teams in this area.  And by the way, kudos to Coach Whitmire for giving Connell that freedom. Of course, he more than anyone knows what he is capable of. 

Whitmire is an excellent coach from what I’ve witnessed from outside the lines. He seems to get kids to play far and beyond their capabilities.
Having watched Remi when he was in high school in various sports, he gave his all and then some. His work ethic and pursuit of excellence will carry him far. His future is extremely bright.