Codspring's Barbay prepping for old WO-S 'buds'

KFDM COOP

Codspring's Barbay prepping for old WO-S 'buds'

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

COLDSPRING — To say that first-year Coldspring head football coach Bryan Barbay knows a little something about football would be a huge understatement.

Barbay has basically been spoon-fed the game ever since he was born, being the son of legendary Newton head coach Curtis Barbay.

“There’s no doubt, football has been a major part of my entire life,†Barbay said. “Following Dad all of those years, hopefully I’ve learned a little something.â€

Barbay will lead his Trojans (5-5), who placed third in District 22-3A, against the seventh-ranked and District 21-3A champion West Orange-Stark Mustangs (9-1) Saturday at 2 p.m. at Dayton’s Bronco Stadium in the bidistrict round of the Region III Division II Class 3A playoffs.

Barbay was a late hire when he arrived in Coldspring but has enjoyed the experience of putting in his philosophies.

“We were flying by the seat of our pants early on, trying to change things up some and installing a lot of new stuff,†Barbay said. “There are actually still quite a few things we didn’t get in that we’ll certainly work on in the offseason. For the most part, our kids have really grasped the system pretty well.â€

The Trojans are led by outstanding senior running back Zavius Johnson, who has dashed his way to more than 1,600 yards and 23 touchdowns. How good is Mr. Johnson? How about him narrowing his collegiate choices to Geaorgia Tech, Houston and Stephen F. Austin.

“Zavius is quite a talent and it was great to come here and have a kid that is as talented as he is right off the bat,†Barbay said. “He’s really fast and he’s so darn elusive too.â€

Johnson’s backfield mate Earnest Wyatt has over 600 yards on the ground as well and sophomore quarterback Chad Allen continues to improve throughout the season.

“Zavius is certainly our biggest weapon but we have several kids that can make big plays for us,†Barbay said. “Defensively, I think we’re getting better too. Our defensive was definitely young when we started and I think they’ve been a big plus as the season rolled along.â€

The Trojans started off 22-3A play 3-0 but dropped their last two decisions to runnerup Cleveland (16-14) and champion Splendora (22-15).

“We’ve really been bitten by injuries the last couple weeks and that really hurt us,†said Barbay. “I really thought we could have won both of those games. The kids battled hard despite being short-handed.â€

Barbay zipped over to Coldspring after serving as defensive coordinator at Kirbyville under the direction of Jack Alvarez. Barbay was very instrumental in helping Alvarez turn around the Kirbyville program. Kirbyville finished 9-1 this season, with its only loss coming at the hands of WO-S. Kirbyville will take on Cleveland in the bidistrict round Saturday.

“I loved coaching in Kirbyville and wish those kids nothing but good luck,†Barbay said.

The Trojans run most of the same schemes that Kirbyville runs. The two programs almost mirror one another. Both also have excellent tailbacks with Coldspring having Johnson while Kirbyville has the electrifying Pierce Rhodes.

“We are almost exactly alike,†Barbay said. “Probably the biggest difference is that we don’t throw the ball as often as Kirbyville does.â€

Barbay knows his squad has a tall task in front of them in a very formidable Mustang program led by long-time head coach Dan Hooks.

“I have the utmost respect for Coach Hooks,†said Barbay. “The man has been in the business 30-plus years and all he does is win, win, win. I was fortunate enough to see my Dad do the same things that Dan has accomplished and those are fun times. Here I am, a first-year guy, lining up on the opposite side of the field. I know we’re the underdogs and that just makes it fun.â€

Barbay has spent plenty of time with the likes of Mustang defensive coordinator Cornel Thompson and offensive coordinator Randy Crouch.

“Cornel and Randy, those two guys are supreme coaches and believe me, I’ve picked their brains over the years, especially at powerlifting meets, they’re both great guys,†Barbay said.

The Trojans will try to slow down a Mustang offense that is gobbling up 368.1 yards a game.

“That DePauldrick Garrett kid is a real special running back,†said Barbay. “But you can’t stop with him. His little brother (Quintavious Garrett) is a load to handle and that big old quarterback (Ortavious Hypolite) is powerful and fast and their offensive line has been strong as a bull. They may not have that explosive passing game like they’ve had the last couple of years but their running game is better than I’ve ever seen it, so who needs to pass when you have that going.â€

Barbay feels that the game should be a pretty good matchup.

“The thing for us is to try to keep the score down as much as possible,†Barbay said. “If it becomes a scorefest, we’ll be the team in deep trouble. We’d love to go out and get some early drives going and not turn the football over. The Mustangs have been such an excellent football team in the second half so we don’t want to give them a head of steam early on.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami