EC Vs Kountze...The rematch this friday

4 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Not a parent’s priority….which is fine but don’t complain later (years)when your kid is in hs and the team is averaging 20 something points a game.

It has to start at the youth age and parents have to teach there kids proper mechanics and skills…..most parents don’t know these.

also don’t tell your kid to get his….team will never win with that mentality 

Amen!!

9 hours ago, whsalum said:

Amen!!

Another problem in the equation of creating success ………. Self reflection and personal critique of one s own ability. Being honest with one self is becoming less and less especially in sports and really just general.  
warren for an example. They re not good that’s easy to see.  When your record is what it is and your getting blown out in most those losses then yeah your not good.  A student of the game will see their personal weaknesses in skills and try to improve on them year around….and a majority of that is done during non basketball season…..and it’s even easier now days with the ability to have instant knowledge at your fingertips to help improve but they d rather be in that waste of time social media mess.
Team ball should take up the majority of in season practice…..

so self discipline comes into play now and that’s lacking as well in general.

How many juniors Sophs freshman etc etc are gonna self reflect (in season as well) after year is over and do what I mentioned above.  I don’t know the kids personally but I see some with potential and some that show in season effort and heart…… but how many truly are gonna put personal work in. It’s fine and dandy if your playing for the fun of it, but don’t expect much in return. And parents be honest ….at least with yourself about your own kids abilities. And don’t use the warren measuring stick.

Guest mrtomcat

our problem has been and will remain to be that our numbers are on the lower end of the classification we've played in for a few decades and we aren't as athletic as some of the other teams in our district and at the end of the day, speed kills.

1 hour ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Another problem in the equation of creating success ………. Self reflection and personal critique of one s own ability. Being honest with one self is becoming less and less especially in sports and really just general.  
warren for an example. They re not good that’s easy to see.  When your record is what it is and your getting blown out in most those losses then yeah your not good.  A student of the game will see their personal weaknesses in skills and try to improve on them year around….and a majority of that is done during non basketball season…..and it’s even easier now days with the ability to have instant knowledge at your fingertips to help improve but they d rather be in that waste of time social media mess.

How many juniors Sophs freshman etc etc are gonna self reflect (in season as well) after year is over and do what I mentioned above.  I don’t know the kids personally but I see some with potential and some that show in season effort and heart…… but how many truly are gonna put personal work in. It’s fine and dandy if your playing for the fun of it, but don’t expect much in return. And parents be honest ….at least with yourself about your own kids abilities. And don’t use the warren measuring stick.

As optimistic as coaches can be it is an uphill battle now days competing with social media and parents with their lack of knowledge and expectations for their children. Parents think taking their children to select sports gets their children the skills necessary to play at a high level but if that child does not put in the work and have the self discipline to increase their own skills and have the awareness of what their abilities are.  I find that many of the problems of coaching is the fact that so many "athletes" are not even watching the game at the college level where skills are achieved at a team level these "athletes" are not students of the game. In the words of Kevin Durant, “hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.”

41 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

our problem has been and will remain to be that our numbers are on the lower end of the classification we've played in for a few decades and we aren't as athletic as some of the other teams in our district and at the end of the day, speed kills.

That’s part of the problem but not “the” problem. Newton has less enrollment and Kountze doesn’t have much more. Then you got schools like Orangefield who compete pretty well against schools with twice the enrollment on the regular. Nobody in the district is twice the size of Warren 

5 hours ago, Sugarbear said:

As optimistic as coaches can be it is an uphill battle now days competing with social media and parents with their lack of knowledge and expectations for their children. Parents think taking their children to select sports gets their children the skills necessary to play at a high level but if that child does not put in the work and have the self discipline to increase their own skills and have the awareness of what their abilities are.  I find that many of the problems of coaching is the fact that so many "athletes" are not even watching the game at the college level where skills are achieved at a team level these "athletes" are not students of the game. In the words of Kevin Durant, “hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.”

True!  When my son started out , yrs ago. 4th grade we went with AAU as a way to improve his skill set. Play more elite talent and it really helped a lot.  He worked his butt off for it.   As did we, with the traveling.    They have to want it.  

9 hours ago, mrtomcat said:

That may be the case in football but not so much in basketball. Hours in the gym cure a lot weaknesses. It starts at a young age and continues through high school. I know for years the kids and parents went all over SE Texas and competed every week against a lot bigger clubs. They didn’t win all those games but it sure made them better. Warren has some pieces, especially with size. They could have been decent. 

9 hours ago, Setx fan said:

That’s part of the problem but not “the” problem. Newton has less enrollment and Kountze doesn’t have much more. Then you got schools like Orangefield who compete pretty well against schools with twice the enrollment on the regular. Nobody in the district is twice the size of Warren 

Amen. That just an easy way out 

11 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Amen