Hamshire-Fannett 48 Livingston 51/FINAL

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to Hamshire-Fannett 48 Livingston 51/FINAL
9 minutes ago, underdog15 said:

WHOA……. This was not expected 

I remember someone with great knowledge of HF basketball stating that by the time district play started Hamshire-Fannett would be in the top 10 in the state rankings. Well we are 2-3 games in and they are not even in the top 25.

So I guess at least one person wasn't expecting this.

1 hour ago, Jerry West said:

This is a shocker to me.  What’s going on with HF, did they have all their players?  Congratulations on the win to Livingston. 

You could see this coming like a freight train. Several close games last year by opposing teams in Livingston last season as well. Couple a recent tournament win by HF over Livingston and it made a perfect recipe for the Livingston win. HF is good enough to beat anyone in this district if they all show up if not they can get average quick. 

17 hours ago, whsalum said:

I called this one yesterday afternoon in a conversation with a friend. HF beat Livingston this past Saturday in a tournament in a close game. This had the feeling of the ultimate trap game! 

Nah they won by almost 20pts last weekend vs Livingston. Coach made a decision to sit all his starters for the majority of the game, not sure why, but Livingston basically beat HFs second unit. I was at the game and really can't tell you what was going on honestly or why the decision was made. They came out a little slow, but nothing really unusual for a high school basketball team, happens from time to time even with nationally ranked ones. Coach pulled his starters and only really played his second and third units. They played hard and went back and forth with Livingston taking the lead multiple times, but they couldn't hold on to win. No one starter played more then an entire quarter and all of them sat the entire 4th qtr until one got sub with 2mins left. Was definitely strange and none of the starters know why 🤷🏾‍♂️. Livingston players and coach did what they was supposed to do and took advantage of the opportunity. Hopefully whatever caused the decision gets worked out. They were definitely on a role winning 6 straight. 

8 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

Nah they won by almost 30pts last weekend vs Livingston. Coach made a decision to sit all his starters for the majority of the game, not sure why, but Livingston basically beat HFs second unit. I was at the game and really can't tell you what was going on honestly or why the decision was made. They came out a little slow, but nothing really unusual for a high school basketball team, happens from time to time even with nationally ranked ones. Coach pulled his starters and only really played his second and third units. They played hard and went back and forth with Livingston taking the lead multiple times, but they couldn't hold on to win. No one starter played more then an entire quarter and all of them sat the entire 4th qtr until one got sub with 2mins left. Was definitely strange and none of the starters know why 🤷🏾‍♂️. Livingston players and coach did what they was supposed to do and took advantage of the opportunity. Hopefully whatever caused the decision gets worked out. They were definitely on a role winning 6 straight. 

Starting to question your memory or knowledge or both.

The score last week was 60-47. Far from a 30 point win for HF.

I find it very hard to believe that a first year head coach would tank a district game, particularly one this early in the district season.

12 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

Nah they won by almost 30pts last weekend vs Livingston. Coach made a decision to sit all his starters for the majority of the game, not sure why, but Livingston basically beat HFs second unit. I was at the game and really can't tell you what was going on honestly or why the decision was made. They came out a little slow, but nothing really unusual for a high school basketball team, happens from time to time even with nationally ranked ones. Coach pulled his starters and only really played his second and third units. They played hard and went back and forth with Livingston taking the lead multiple times, but they couldn't hold on to win. No one starter played more then an entire quarter and all of them sat the entire 4th qtr until one got sub with 2mins left. Was definitely strange and none of the starters know why 🤷🏾‍♂️. Livingston players and coach did what they was supposed to do and took advantage of the opportunity. Hopefully whatever caused the decision gets worked out. They were definitely on a role winning 6 straight. 

I’m no math wizard but the final at Woodville showed them beating Livingston 60-47. They also beat Anahuac by 6.  

1 minute ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I find it very hard to believe that a first year head coach would tank a district game, particularly one this early in the district season.

They were up by 30 before he pulled his starters to start the 4th. I should have clarified. The game wasn't close at all, HF controlled it from start to finish. Livingston's shooter hit four 3s in the 4th of that game to make it respectable. Kid got a strap for sure! Not sure why he pulled them in this game for the whole game, but he did 🤷🏾‍♂️.

2 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I’m no math wizard but the final at Woodville showed them beating Livingston 60-47. They also beat Anahuac by 6.  

They beat Anahuac by 6 the first game, blew them out the second game the next day. Anahuac is a sold team, very athletic, and well coached. Don't sleep on them. They only had 2 losses before playing HF back to back in that Tournament 

20 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Sometimes people watch the same game and see 2 very different versions. I been in the gyms a long time and usually when a coach sits his starters it’s because he isn’t happy with their performance lol

41 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Sometimes people watch the same game and see 2 very different versions. I been in the gyms a long time and usually when a coach sits his starters it’s because he isn’t happy with their performance lol

I said they came out slow lol. I'm a high school coach and yes I have pulled players to wake them up as well, but not every starter for the whole game. You'll eventually get out matched in certain situations and positions down the stretch. That's what happened. It was a gamble to try and prove a point I think and it didn't plan out. At the end of the day they are your best 5 for a reason. Sitting all 5 was a bold move for whatever reason he had and it backfired with a lost. They got pulled mid 1st and didn't get back in until after the half. He then pulled 3 starters about a qrt into the 3rd and the other two a little bit after. It was all back ups from then on out. Like I said the second unit gave a solid effort and battled, could have won, but they were going up against Livingston's best and came up short. 

I will say that seems a bit strange. Could really cost them in the long run.

Just speculation, but could the starters not be doing what the coach is wanting them to do? Maybe they are listening to the parents in the bleachers rather than the coach. Many coaches would rather lose with kids who are willing to be coached than win with players that do what they want or what their parents want. As I said that is pure speculation. 

5 minutes ago, catfever said:

I will say that seems a bit strange. Could really cost them in the long run.

Just speculation, but could the starters not be doing what the coach is wanting them to do? Maybe they are listening to the parents in the bleachers rather than the coach. Many coaches would rather lose with kids who are willing to be coached than win with players that do what they want or what their parents want. As I said that is pure speculation. 

As a coach I can say why he clearly pulled them at the beginning. They came out a little flat on both ends, but as far as the whole game and all 5? I have no idea at all. Keep in mind they were on a 6 game win streak with those 5 starters. None of them know what happened or why after the initial pull. 

21 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

As a coach I can say why he clearly pulled them at the beginning. They came out a little flat on both ends, but as far as the whole game and all 5? I have no idea at all. Keep in mind they were on a 6 game win streak with those 5 starters. None of them know what happened or why after the initial pull. 

If all 5 starters got pulled and have no idea why 24 games into the season I don’t need to hear anything else. HF will catch a break getting Huffman next week at Hamshire. That would have been a tough one in Huffman and a 3rd loss will all but eliminate them from title contention. 

57 minutes ago, whsalum said:

If all 5 starters got pulled and have no idea why 24 games into the season I don’t need to hear anything else. HF will catch a break getting Huffman next week at Hamshire. That would have been a tough one in Huffman and a 3rd loss will all but eliminate them from title contention. 

HF is the only team anywhere near the same level as HJ in this district. HJ has no threat outside of HF in the coming weeks and even if they fall to HF in the second meeting, they will not lose to anyone else and still be champs. Fixing whatever that was last night and getting prepared for the playoffs should be their focus right now. The district championship is pretty much HJs now. 

6 minutes ago, Cardinal 1 said:

HF is the only team anywhere near the same level as HJ in this district. HJ has no threat outside of HF in the coming weeks and even if they fall to HF in the second meeting, they will not lose to anyone else and still be champs. Fixing whatever that was last night and getting prepared for the playoffs should be their focus right now. The district championship is pretty much HJs now. 

I disagree with part of that statement. Livingston is very capable of beating anyone at their place. I gotta admit I’m surprised that Livingston looks to be better than Huffman this year. The key hasn’t changed, take care of home court and steal one on the road to win it. 

1 minute ago, whsalum said:

I disagree with part of that statement. Livingston is very capable of beating anyone at their place. I gotta admit I’m surprised that Livingston looks to be better than Huffman this year. The key hasn’t changed, take care of home court and steal one on the road to win it. 

HJ will beat Livingston with absolutely no problems. They almost lost to HFs second string players at home and was dominated by HF just last week. Like I said I have no idea why he sat all his starters that long, but it cost them the game. HF had multiple chances to win that game last night, their guys just couldn't knock down tough shots down the stretch late to seal the game and allowed Livingston to stay around and get the lead late in the 4th. But defensively they caused a lot of Livingston turnovers with the press and full court man, just couldn't capitalize on them at a high % like the starters do. They literally had 3 chances within 20 seconds to hit a 3 to tie it 🤷🏾‍♂️. They played hard and gave Livingston all they could handle. HJ crushing Livingston with their press period. 

1 hour ago, Cardinal 1 said:

HJ will beat Livingston with absolutely no problems. They almost lost to HFs second string players at home and was dominated by HF just last week. Like I said I have no idea why he sat all his starters that long, but it cost them the game. HF had multiple chances to win that game last night, their guys just couldn't knock down tough shots down the stretch late to seal the game and allowed Livingston to stay around and get the lead late in the 4th. But defensively they caused a lot of Livingston turnovers with the press and full court man, just couldn't capitalize on them at a high % like the starters do. They literally had 3 chances within 20 seconds to hit a 3 to tie it 🤷🏾‍♂️. They played hard and gave Livingston all they could handle. HJ crushing Livingston with their press period. 

If it’s all the same to you I’m gonna keep my opinion. You’ve struggled this year with yours lol