WO-S Bond Election Tuesday/Results Here Tonight!!/Turf or No Turf

Sorry to see this outcome for the kids of WOS but I do not know all the facts I guess. It is what it is but boy them STANGS SURE CAN PLAY SOME FOOTBALL.  ;D

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheater may be able to answer this one but i think Proposition 1 that passed will allow renovations to the Baseball and Softball fields.

Coop why would you put those improvments in one package and turf in another?

I thought it was a smart thing to do by splitting the two issues. It would have been bad for the whole bond to fail because of the turf being lumped in with it. This way, the needed improvements for the schools are taken care of. By the looks of the voting, it would have definetly failed if the turf was lumped in. Turf is not necessary, but the new and improved buildings are. Kudos to the planners.

Now, if these officials try to use some of this 47 million to " sneak in" the turf, they better get ready for a bundle of law suits coming.

You know, after voting "For" on both issues at hand, I've gotta say how disappointed I am in the lack of voter turn out in our school district and community, and WHY bond No. 1 was as close as it was!  Who in their right mind would vote against improving the WOCCISD's facilities and giving our kids the very best?

I guess I'm ok with the decision not to have turf at Dan R. Hook’s stadium (for now), but I'm just completely speechless at how friggin' close issue No.1 really was...  Thank you to ALL of you that voted "For" on both issues!  A HUGE thank you, to all of the true WO-S supporters out there, congrats and let’s celebrate our children’s future! :D

I thought it was a smart thing to do by splitting the two issues. It would have been bad for the whole bond to fail because of the turf being lumped in with it. This way, the needed improvements for the schools are taken care of. By the looks of the voting, it would have definetly failed if the turf was lumped in. Turf is not necessary, but the new and improved buildings are. Kudos to the planners.

Now, if these officials try to use some of this 47 million to " sneak in" the turf, they better get ready for a bundle of law suits coming.

i dont think the officials will try to sneak in the turf.  prop 1 passed and that is certainly good news.  personally i think they should have kept the turf in prop 1, but thats just my opinion.  perhaps it can be installed in the future with money from somewhere else.  the only problem i have with prop 1 is the renovations to the carl godwin auditorium....it is located on the old middle school campus.  the old middle school campus has been closed down for years, and currently is being used as a maintenance building.   

Guest Silsbee88

I know out here there is a HS called Dimond, an alum BOUGHT the turf himself and gave it to them, i havent seen turf this nice since Lufkin laid theirs down a few years ago.

But moral of the whole thing is, cant a very wealthy wo-s alum buy the turf?

The answer to your question is yes they can donate the money to the school for the turf and then the school is responsible for having it installed.

I agree with several that the idea to have this issue in two seperate prop's was the right call, after all, the district is there to educate the children of your community.  The district is responsible for providing an environment that both safe and conducive to learning.  However, the Board and Superintendent are charged with being fiscally prudent with the district money and if you run the numbers on turf the district would save money over the long term by having turf installed.  It used to be that turf was far too expensive to have at the high school level, but the fact that so many companies are now in the turf business it has reduced the cost to be more affordable to high schools.  If the numbers are run the district could borrow the money and pay it out on a loan at about the same as what the average natural grass field costs to maintain annually (ie - personnel, mowers, water, fertilizer, pesticides and insecticides).  And the district could benefit by the use, a turf field can take approx 300+ hours of use per year with no degradation, where most healthy natural grass field can only take approx 75-100 hours before you start harming the surface.  I am truely sorry for WOS that the bond did not pass.  I would only hope that the board and superintendent do their part to get the word out to the public and reapproach this issue. JM2C  

Plan B is otherwise known as grass.

A good "plan B" would be for Dan R. Hooks stadium to become a "County Stadium" and be used by all the county schools for football and track.  It has the largest seating capacity of all the county schools. 

As a season ticket holder of WO-S I would gladly go to the visitors side when we are scheduled to play BC or OF for their "home" games.

For the "county stadium" idea to work, It would mean the districts within Orange County would have to work together and for some reason I don't see that happening.

i dont think the officials will try to sneak in the turf.  prop 1 passed and that is certainly good news.  personally i think they should have kept the turf in prop 1, but thats just my opinion.  perhaps it can be installed in the future with money from somewhere else.  the only problem i have with prop 1 is the renovations to the carl godwin auditorium....it is located on the old middle school campus.  the old middle school campus has been closed down for years, and currently is being used as a maintenance building.   

They won't. The Super. was on KOGT this morning already saying it wasn't enough money to do what he wanted to do and they were going to be short on completing some of the items on the list. Explain how that can be 12 hours after the bond passes?

They won't. The Super. was on KOGT this morning already saying it wasn't enough money to do what he wanted to do and they were going to be short on completing some of the items on the list. Explain how that can be 12 hours after the bond passes?

Why dont you donate some of that money you got TD. I know you have plenty. ;D

You mean they tell ya they want to do this and that and it will cost 47 million.Then they say they don't have enough money to do this and that?So.To make sure it passes they shave off some to make it look like a good deal knowing it want be enough. >:( >:(

Hey kicker, I think you should get something going where all of the WOS alumni put in $5 for every win you had as a Mustang. See how much money you could raise to get the turf. I think it is well deserved. I'm not sure where in the world they would spend 1.3 million on the baseball field though. That coming from an old baseball guy. If yall had about 28 players on the team for every win times $5 a player you could get a good down payment. I might even throw in $5 for every win we had in baseball in my years. Back in those days I would owe way more than any football player that graduated with me. You need a project anyway. ;D

The sad thing is if this is true, the first thing to be cut out of this bond will be anything involving athletics.  There is a very very Sneaky bunch of characters that are pretending to be administrators at WOS.  One thing that has been successful through the years has been the athletics.  I understand that athletics is not the reason kids go to school, but that is the main reason that alot of these kids stay in school and get better educations.  That is why I have no problem voting for the turf.  As many scholarships that have been recieved through football, or overall athletics at WOS is amazing.  A reward of such to me would not be to outrageous.  It is just hard for me to believe that mlc can get support for an amazing new weightroom and scoreboard, vidor can get support for an unbelievable new gym and fieldhouse, bc can get support for a very nice gym, and orangefield can get support for a very nice gym.  On the other hand we have ex-players, I mean a kicker(go stangs), that says he wouldn't even support the bettering of our facilities.  That is ashame!!  Sure the stangs will continue to win on grass, but that is not the point.  The point is that this was actually a chance to give our kids something nice, as a reward for years of EXCELLENCE, and we can't even get the support of some our old players(I mean a kicker).  What is even more amazing is that all those idiots that sit up in the stands and rip on our coaches and claim that they are screwing our kids, they are so lazy they wont even get off of the sofa or the street corner and vote.  Maybe they are saving there energy for there friday night drunken tantrums.  All in all I find it apauling that every other school in our can find a way to help there athletic facilities, but the people of orange really just don't care.  Thank you to the people that actually did vote yes on both bonds.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder