I need help bow shopping...

venom33

My son is 14 and wanting his fist bow for Christmas, is there anything special I need to know or maybe a special brand or feature to shop for?

Is it for hunting or just target shooting/practice?

How big/strong is he?

What draw length (very important)?

There are several very good brands on the market. Any of them would be fine for a first bow. My main question would be what is he using it for? Does he intend to hunt with it or does he just want to learn archery? If he is hunting I think he should be shooting a compound bow. They are generally easier to shoot for most people.

Once I know that, I would want to know his strength and ability. Since hunting requires a minimum of a 40 pound pull, you need to be sure that he can handle that much or if it is for target practice, you can get a lighter pull. Also, look for a compound that has 75-80% let-off. That way, once he gets the bow drawn back, he can hold it longer, be more steady and have more time to aim before he tires.

It would help if you went to an archery pro shop to have the bow set up for him. It is not necessary but it sure helps, especially if you haven't done it before. Do you intend to surprise him with the bow or does he know he is getting it? If it is a surprise, you might go to an archery shop and pick out a bow with their help and give it to him on Christmas. You can then bring the bown and him in for proper setup. If it is not a surprise and doesn't have to be given on Christmas day, you might go in with him to the archery pro shop and have them set it up for him right then. He can also get some shooting in at the shop since most have 20-30 yard indoor ranges.

I got my first recurve bow about 40 years ago. I have been hunting and shooting bows off and on since that time but I am sure not an expert. I have set up a couple of bows but I would rather have it done by a pro. It is much faster and you can usually get the bow tuned better to get the maximum efficiency out of the arrow. I might be able to point you in some directions, according to where you live.

Thanks so much for all of the info...

ok, he intends to start hunting with it next season,being this will be his first bow i want him to practice as much as possible. hes about 5'2 and is a pretty strong kid. i guess draw length would be my biggest concern... as far as price goes,getting a bow fully setup with a case and accessories how much could i expect to spend? 

Thanks so much for all of the info...

ok, he intends to start hunting with it next season,being this will be his first bow i want him to practice as much as possible. hes about 5'2 and is a pretty strong kid. i guess draw length would be my biggest concern... as far as price goes,getting a bow fully setup with a case and accessories how much could i expect to spend? 

It depends, like everything else I guess. You can get a fully functional adult size hunting bow set up for about $350 and it goes up from there. The bow that I killed a deer with last week cost me about $300 but that included the quiver, sights, arrow rest, etc. You could probably go up to about $1,000 but most of that is not needed. The bow might be a little lighter, a little faster or a little smother but you can shoot most of the about the same.

You could probably get a youth bow for about $100 or in that range but it will cost a bit more if you want a pro shop to set it up for you. You can even get some really light draw bows with about a 20 pound pull for about $70. I think a decent size 14 year old can handle a bit more than that however.

also, could i measure draw length myself? if so how?

Yes, you could measure it yourself. It is easier to do with a bow but you can get within an inch without one.

Have him stand with his left arm straight out to his left side and make a fist like he is holding a bow (assuming he is going to shoot right handed). It might even help to put something about 1.5 inches in diameter in his hand like he is holding a bow rest.

Then have him turn his head and look left toward his hand with his chin or cheek touching his left shoulder near the ball socket. That is the position he should be in when he shoots. Then take a tape measure and measure the distance from the tip of the knuckle on his left finger to the right corner of his mouth. That should be about his anchor point. The measurement between his forefinger and the corner of his mouth will be his draw length. When in doubt, it is better to be an inch long than an inch short.

I think the best way to start is to go to a good bow shop.   I am sure there are several in the area.  I really like the guys in Bridge City.   They seem to be pretty knowlegable.

That is Precision Archery. I have used them and recommended the shop to him in a PM. Gander Mountain also has a pro shop but I haven't used them.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83