Jake Hemmings needs 'nice' big game against Nederland

Jake Hemmings needs 'nice' big game against Nederland

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

PORT NECHES -- Jake Hemmings lived on his reputation for a couple of games this season.

But Jake ran a bit harder Friday night against Little Cypress-Mauriceville's defenders. Occasionally, the Bears' would-be tacklers got a peak at Jake's Shake and Bake... At other times, the Bears' pursuit tried to deal with Jake The Snake.

It's still going to be difficult for 18-year-old Jacob Hemmings to become a repeat selection on The Port Arthur News Super Team this Christmas. That's because if Jacob and the Port Neches-Groves Indians wish to attain their desired level of success, Hemmings must do more than live on his reputation, or run hard some of the time.

He readily admits to not playing as well early in the season as he did against LC-M.

"It was the first game for me to play like I can play," he said. "I think I had to have one to get started.... I kinda didn't live up to the hype during the rest of the year."

Starting slow hasn’t been the norm for PN-G's greatest backs over the years. They have run hard time after time and run mean. Mean, mean, and more mean.

And since it would appear that the Indians would be committed to their more recent power-running tactics, it would be essential for these Indians to play with more of a mean streak. The kind of streak which Chris Gohlke had. The kind of mean which Justin Eicher displayed.

That's a different kind of mean than anything so far from Jake Hemmings who is one of the nicest and most polite young men to ever grace Matt Burnett's football program at The Reservation.

Come to think of it, Matt Burnett is a mighty nice fellow with a classy style about him. And Jake Hemmings is too. Yet when Matt and Jake visit Bulldog Stadium this Friday night, they inherit the role of underdogs against undefeated Nederland.

As tough as Larry Neumann's 5-0 Bulldogs tend to conduct themselves, PN-G's nice approach may need a serious change of mindset.

When the Indians' buses pull away from The Reservation, the purple hats will have to leave the "nice" part back at the Indians' Fieldhouse.

Burnett did feel that Hemmings has delivered a few "nice" games lately for the Tribe. It was "nice" of Jake to rush over the 100-yard mark for the first time last Friday night in PN-G's 41-13 victory over LC-M.

A review of the game video revised Hemmings' total to 114 yards on 16 carries -- the most yards by a PN-G rusher in a game all season. That's "nice" but Nederland should have other plans for Jake's numbers this week. Mid-County fans will get to see how "nice" Nederland's plans fit with Jake's on Friday.

Jake has never carried for 100 against Nederland, not even 75. His career-best against Nederland was 67 two years ago at Pasadena. Last year the Bulldogs' defense had a real nice game against "nice" Jake. Hemmings rushed seven times for 18 yards.

How important is Hemmings to PN-G's success? Well, consider this. Hemmings reached the end zone three times last week and PN-G had a real "nice" night against LC-M. Hemmings never has scored in a varsity game against Nederland and Hemmings never has departed with a victory against Nederland.

Hey TOM this is supposed to be a article about Jake . You said more about Ned  than about Jake.  What would "nice" is to say something good about Jake but your so busy talking up Ned you can't see straight. Terrible article for senior to keep in his scrap book.

Typical Tom Haliburton.....EVERYONE knows he is partial to Nederland, and so what?  When I see his articles in the newspaper, I usually just throw it in the trash......Nederland know what they are up against and so does PNG.  One thing I like about this week, is that both teams respect each other and know that the other will be playing their hearts out.  TH needs to retire .....my trash can doesnt need to give a home to his lameless stories anymore!

Typical Tom Haliburton.....EVERYONE knows he is partial to Nederland, and so what?  When I see his articles in the newspaper, I usually just throw it in the trash......Nederland know what they are up against and so does PNG.  One thing I like about this week, is that both teams respect each other and know that the other will be playing their hearts out.  TH needs to retire .....my trash can doesnt need to give a home to his lameless stories anymore!

the mid-county teams gets more coverage from the PA News then the Beaumont suprise!

There is a lot of coverage for the MidCounty teams.....we need a sports writer that is "neutral" and gives credit when credit is due.  Halliburton has always been negative about PNG. I even have Ned friends that are emabarrassed when he writes stories about Nederland because he is so "partial" to Nederland and tends to embellish his articles about the Bulldogs.  Thats all I'm saying, and if the shoe was on the other foot, I'm sure a lot of Nederland fans would feel the same way.  Fact is, Nederland and PNG are both excellent football teams with a lot of pride and both will play their hearts out this Friday night.  I think its sad that a grown "man" will be so negative about a high school football team when he knows the players and thier families read the articles.  Maybe its a strategy of his...who knows.  I just don't read his articles anymore....not worth the time.  Best of luck to both Nederland and PNG....!

READ FOLLOWING TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?

Quote from RUSH WOOD article in Beaumont Enterprise after the game

Blending the talents of running backs Jacob Hemmings and Joshua Wright, the Indians grinded out 231 rushing yards in setting up a first-place showdown against Lumberton next Friday night at The Reservation.

With Hemmings churning, slashing and gouging away at the middle of the Bulldogs' defense and Wright effectively working the corners, the Indians seized control of the game by rushing for 140 yards and scoring two touchdowns in the third quarter.

Hemmings, who scored on runs of 5 and 36 yards, carried the ball 24 times for 139 yards. Wright finished with 97 yards on 11 carries, but he, too - was over the 100-yard mark until being caught for 7 yards in losses on his final two attempts.

Earlier in the quarter, Hemmings stunned the Bulldogs on a bruising quick-hitter off left tackle, on which he ran right past four defenders - including blue-chip recruit Dravannti Johnson. He then carried defensive back Reagan Stanley on his shoulders for the final 2 yards of the 36-yard score

NOW THIS IS A QUOTE FROM TOM HALIBURTON ABOUT JOHNSON BEFORE GAME.ALSO  PICKED US TO LOSE BY 21PTS. ALITTLE BIAS,DON'T YOU THINK?

The first University of Texas football pledge from Nederland in decades, the 6-2, 225-pound defensive end may find all sorts of ways to paint the Indians purple on this Friday night at Bulldog Stadium.

Dravannti may block a punt. Dravannti may run from his left end spot clear across the field when Josh Wright may try to run away from him. Dravannti may gobble up Harrison Tatum for dinner midway in the second quarter. Dravannti might retreat into coverage and intercept a pass.

Heck, he might even catch a pass for the offensive unit.

Whatever his role in the 84th Mid-County Madness confrontation, Johnson does not particularly give a flying Indian. He just wants the Nederland side of the scoreboard to have at least one more point than PN-G's side of the board.

Well I dont have a "dog in the race",but it was a poorly written article and I still don't know what his point was.

If he wants to be partial to one team in mid county then thats fine, but dont use a kid to do it.If I was Burnett I wouldnt let him in my field house either.

I guess "nice" Jake Hemmings had the last laugh.Tom should feel like an idiot now.

hey "Little tommy", I remember you stating that Dravanniti Johnson could give a "flying Indian"about playing PNG, I wonder what he thought when those "flying INDIANS" jammed him for a loss on 4th and 2 when they needed a score in the 4th quarter?!  Will you EVER come out and defend some of your ridiculous analagies?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124