Six man football

Bucster

In another thread a comment was made about Chester having a "numbers" problem and it got me to wondering.

Do any of the smaller schools in SE Texas play 6 man football? I know a lot of  schools in West Texas & the Panhandle play this style of football enabling them to continue fielding a team. These games are neat to watch and are very high scoring.

Man, I would love it if schools like Brookeland and Spurger, who don't play football would get with some of the teams that have severe # problems (Sabine Pass, Chester, High Islland) and play 6 man. I've been threatening for years to travel to the 6man state champ games but they are WAYYY far away.

most likely and this is just speculation.  The smaller school not only have some number problems but when you add a football program in with the moneys that it takes to even keep the school open I believe that football takes second fiddle.  I would also think that the travel aspect of it would also run into some problems. JMO

most likely and this is just speculation.  The smaller school not only have some number problems but when you add a football program in with the moneys that it takes to even keep the school open I believe that football takes second fiddle.  I would also think that the travel aspect of it would also run into some problems. JMO

Have to agree - seems money (or lack of) is the biggest obstacle.

For those that have never watched it, six man is pretty exciting. If you love offense with lots of scoring, the 6 man game is a treat. I think Texas is the only state that allows it. Oklahoma schools play 8 man and it is just like 11 man but with fewer players.

Of course I prefer the 11 man game but for those schools too small to field a regular team, six man beats nothing at all.

Have to agree - seems money (or lack of) is the biggest obstacle.

From what I understand, most of the six man schools out west are property rich, ie OIL. They could make the long travels and the overhead from the program probably wouldn't affect them as much as schools like Chester, Spurger and Brookland. There are plenty of schools in SETX to form a six man district, that would be something to see.

I think Apple Springs , up by Groveton,  plays 6 man .  in a district with a couple ne texas teams...

i remember one year Lamar recruited a qb from a east texas 6 man school...cant remember where , tho ???

I WAS AT THE CHESTER -  HIGH ISLAND JR HIGH GAME TONIGHT AND WAS TOLD BY ONE OF THE FATHERS THAT CHESTER IS DRESSING 29 PLAYERS FOR THE GAME AGAINST HIGH ISLAND TOMORROW.  WE ONLY HAVE 22 IN  HIGH ISLAND AND 15 ON OUR UNDEFEATED JR HIGH TEAM.  THE PEOPLE IN BOTH TOWNS LOVE AND SUPPORT THEIR FOOTBALL TEAMS AND I BELIEVE WOULD PLAY SIX MAN IF THEY HAD TO.  BUT WITH THE NEW UIL RULES NEXT YEAR IT SHOUL BE A MUTE POINT. GO CARDS.

From what I understand, most of the six man schools out west are property rich, ie OIL. They could make the long travels and the overhead from the program probably wouldn't affect them as much as schools like Chester, Spurger and Brookland. There are plenty of schools in SETX to form a six man district, that would be something to see.

It wouldnt be bad on the most W. Texas Schools , but when the E. Texas schools had to travel now your talking some money that I believe they just dont have.  But it would be great if we could get teams  ;D

Guest TravelingBandsman

There's a school up around here between the Mt. Enterprise, Tenaha, and Timpson area called Gary that is small enough for Six-Man. They don't play football though. All they do I know is baseball.

Just as an informational point, when I was interviewing the HI super for an article, he mentioned that he thought HI was the smallest, if not one of the smallest, schools to play 11-man football. Unstated but understood, was the fact that they were proud to be able to put that team together. It's a small but great little town and they love their Cardinals!! Go Cards!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476