No need for WO-S to hit panic button/OL Article

KFDM COOP

No need for WO-S to hit panic button

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

Now, it feels like I’m involved in a bonafide political election.

My co-hort and “partner in crime†Gabe Pruett echoed his feelings on the West Orange-Stark Mustang offense in Tuesday’s edition. I agreed with what he was trying to get out in some aspects and didn’t in others. That’s why us guys in this business can write columns. They’re basically written to display how you feel about certain things.

Well, I’d like to pen out somewhat of a rebuttal.

WO-S coach Dan Hooks has won 242 games. Heck, he’s even lost 63 now. That only comes out to about a .793 winning percentage, which is the best in the state for coaches with more than 100 career victories. Sometimes, people remember the losses more than the victories. I tend to remember the victories.

This year, I could see the Mustangs struggling a little bit with a young group. Nobody really expected WO-S to zip through the season undefeated, even though there are a few Mustang fans that feel that way on a yearly basis.

Offensively, the Mustangs are certainly young. Let’s not forget, they’ve lost three NCAA Division I players in Deon Beasley, Earl Thomas and Jacoby Franks in the last two years.

Maybe the Mustangs should go to a smash-mouth offense, it certainly worked against the likes of Dayton in their opener. But, who is to argue about a coaching staff that has helped produce a 25-3 record (.893) in the last 28 games and a trip to the Class 3A State semifinals in 2005.

Maybe we should go across the county to see how the other four Orange County teams have fared.

Bridge City has been 15-8 in that span, including a 9-2 run in 2005 that got them to the regional semifinals. The Cardinals (0-2) and first-year head coach Cris Stump are certainly going through growing pains, which is to be expected when you have just one starter back on offense and two on defense.

The Orangefield Bobcats (0-3) have went 8-13 during the same stretch. Little Cypress-Mauriceville (1-2) has went 8-13 as well and the Vidor Pirates (1-1) have been 8-12.

I guess the thing with the Mustangs is that they’ve been dominant for so long, people take them for granted sometimes. It’s like, if WO-S doesn’t win a state championship, it’s a season that was lost.

Since they’ve dropped to the 3A ranks, the Mustangs have yet to drop a district game with just two of the games being marginally close — Bridge City in 2005 and Silsbee in 2006.

As Coach Hooks has said for many years, the Mustangs don’t play the so-called “sisters of the poor†in their non-district schedule either.

WO-S suits out about 28 players on a weekly basis the last couple years, and honestly, only about 20 or so see a ton of minutes. I remember taking mug shots of all the teams in the area prior to the season and Deweyville and Orangefield have more players on their rosters.

The Mustangs have lined up thus far against Dayton, which was rated high to win District 22-4A before there quarterback Cody Green went down with a tough injury the week after WO-S defeated the Broncos 22-14. The WO-S-LC-M game was quite a treat for defensive fans as the Mustangs won 6-0 against a unit that had twice as many players. Bay City struggled last year, missing the playoffs for the first time in 11 years. However, the Black Cats seem to be on the rise again and outnumbered the Mustangs 2-to-1.

Let’s just say that the Mustangs aren’t playing the likes of teams like Houston Jones and Houston Kashmere. They’re not lining up against Class 2A teams in non-district and falling like some other schools in the area. Heck, most 4A teams around these parts don’t want to play the Mustangs at all in non-district. I guess there’s nothing like a lower classification team defeating a team in a higher division.

WO-S is still the District 21-3A favorite until it’s proven otherwise. Don’t be surprised to see the Mustangs go through 21-3A unscathed again, although it will be tougher with a younger team this year.

I have to say that I don’t have tunnel vision. Looking at the last 2 1/4 seasons, I see 25-3 at WO-S. The rest of Orange County is a collective 39-46.

I’ll let everybody else figure that math up and see what conclusions they come up with.

There may be some fine-tuning to be had in Mustang Country these days but that’s what non-district games are for. Look for Hamshire-Fannett to feel the full brunt of it around Sept. 28.

Good write up Mr. Wade. Hooks and WOS still have the highest winning percentage in the state of Texas even up to today. I agree and disagree with some of the earlier posts. Is WOS down in talent this year on offense? Sure! Alot? No. I will say the playcalling needs to improve because there's people  (including Coaches) that have said the same thing from WOS AND different schools. Other than that there're doing the best they can.

Have you ever heard the phrase go with your first instinct?  I think the Ole Leader had it correct with the first article.  The second is to simply keep the subscriptions from the two or three people in Orange that were affended by the Pruitt article, and probably called in to complain.  Stand behind your original opinion Ole Leader, don't waffle on us.  That is the problem, there is too much waffling going on with this entire situation.  I am now paying for three subscriptions to make up for those two people that were affended. 

Van hit many nails on the head with his article, whether he was crawfishing or not.  The first article was UNCALLED FOR. 

And to the person who is paying for the extra newspapers for those three who are stopping their subscriptions...obviously you are not a coach/teacher because those coaches probably cannot afford the subscription.  Get a life!!!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn