Predictions on WOS v. LCM

td

BOJO...  Couldn't find their own nickname without altering some other school's rallying cry? i.e. Odessa Permian Panthers, MOJO.  It’s so non-original, like LC-North Oranges football program.  In the spirit of good fun and competition…  Best of luck to ya bears.  You guys will need it.  Go 'Stangs! 8)

As an LCM fan and parent, I support Coach Moody and his players 100%!  However, if I am to be completely honest, when the "bojo" slogan came to light... i cringed a little.  Good luck to both teams...  God bless.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, "green-N-gold"...let me say that RACE should not have anything to do with anything, but unfortunately it does.  As a 37-year-old white female, single mom who attended OF for eight years, LC-M for two years, and then graduated from WO-S...just because our name is not at the top of a list doesn't mean we are substandard.

WO-S has a good education system.  We offer as many AP and dual-credit courses as probably anyone in the Golden Triangle and the district picks up that tab.  We all know, or should know, why our numbers (as far as testing) are low and unfortunately, there is a lot of work to be done, but I will say that WO-S and its staff take on job that many other districts snub and that is attempting to meet the needs of ALL children (not as much a racial issue as much as a socioeconomic issue).

As I stated before, I am a single parent and my three boys just happen to be half African-American.  My oldest son graduated in May as WO-S' Salutatorian and went on to Texas A&M to major in Aerospace Engineering.  He excelled on the field, on the track, in the classroom, and in his community.  I truly believe that he got as good, if not better, of an education at WO-S as he would have gotten ANYWHERE else in the area. 

You talk about not judging someone unless you know something about them...try taking heed to your own advice.  You speak negatively about our kids basically not having any

"God-given talents" except for football, but then go on to talk about how you have watched them grown up.  Tell me, Mr. g-n-g...what have you contributed to these young men?  Changing school districts is not an option for most and it is also not the answer.  One of my favorite quotes is from Mahatma Gandhi...IF YOU ARE NOT A PART OF THE SOLUTION, THEN YOU ARE A PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Kids from WO-S have the same potential as kids from any other area.  Sadly, many have more obstacles, but along with that comes drive and determination.  Things are changing and for the better, but people on the outside looking in with clouded vision won't ever see what we see.  All I can say is...pitiful.

Thank you so much for this...I get so sick and tired of people assuming that if you graduated from Wo-s that you are a great athlete, but your not getting a good education. It's especially sad coming from an African American man, who should have sense enough to know better than to put out such ignorance. You have done a great job with your sons and so have many other parents of Wo-s students. I'm sure Lcm and Bridge City have there fair share of students flunking out and dropping out for that matter.

stang4life,

Once again had you read my last post you would see I am not speaking out of ignorance.  My kids were there for a number of years and I said for me it was unacceptable.  And for the state of Texas.  You can have your own standards.  And it isn't that they aren't "at the top of the list" as you said.  It is that they are nearly dead last.  It has nothing to do with race.  Obviously I do not believe that.  I also believe it has very little to do with socioeconomic issues as you suggested.  In my opinion both of these are easy copouts for a district that is not getting the job done.

I would suggest those of you defending the WOS district have not researched the test scores or you would be sickened by the job the district is doing to help those children.  As far as being part of the problem or part of the solution.  I was not willing to allow my children to be martyrs, and receive what I deemed to be a substandard education while I fought to improve things for the next generation.  If you feel that is your calling then hats off to you.

Guest Kelly Football

stang4life,

Once again had you read my last post you would see I am not speaking out of ignorance.  My kids were there for a number of years and I said for me it was unacceptable.  And for the state of Texas.  You can have your own standards.  And it isn't that they aren't "at the top of the list" as you said.  It is that they are nearly dead last.  It has nothing to do with race.  Obviously I do not believe that.  I also believe it has very little to do with socioeconomic issues as you suggested.  In my opinion both of these are easy copouts for a district that is not getting the job done.

I would suggest those of you defending the WOS district have not researched the test scores or you would be sickened by the job the district is doing to help those children.  As far as being part of the problem or part of the solution.  I was not willing to allow my children to be martyrs, and receive what I deemed to be a substandard education while I fought to improve things for the next generation.  If you feel that is your calling then hats off to you.

Whatever!!!! WOS has students just like EVERY school in Texas in major Colleges right now.

As an LCM fan and parent, I support Coach Moody and his players 100%!  However, if I am to be completely honest, when the "bojo" slogan came to light... i cringed a little.   Good luck to both teams...  God bless.

Let me know what size shirt you wear and I'll be sure you have one for our next home game. You look better in blue and silver anyway.

stang4life,

Your children may have gone to school at WOS but you have no idea what goes on. Do you really think socioeconomics has nothing to do with it? My kids go to school at WOS and I'll put their scores up against anyones. I'm not saying they are smarter or better than anyone, I'm just saying that the education is just as good. What you are able to learn during the day just might have something to do with how you spent your night and your morning.

the guy did what he thinks is best for his kids nothing wrong with that

You are absolutely right about that. He should be applauded for doing what he thiks is right. Regardless if anyone agrees with him. My issue is with his statement that the kidsw at LCM have God given talent after high school. Saying that the kids from WOS don't.

There are turds everywhere. There are good kids everywhere. There are bad kids everywhere. There are smart kids everywhere. There are not so smart kids everywhere.

Your children may have gone to school at WOS but you have no idea what goes on. Do you really think socioeconomics has nothing to do with it? My kids go to school at WOS and I'll put their scores up against anyones. I'm not saying they are smarter or better than anyone, I'm just saying that the education is just as good. What you are able to learn during the day just might have something to do with how you spent your night and your morning.

? Enlighten me.

? Enlighten me.

Walk through the schools at WOS as I do every single morning. See the kids that didn't get enough sleep or a good nights sleep. See the kids that are crying. You have no idea and I can only imagine what they went through the night before or the morning before school. See the kids that just want a hug. For all I know it may be the only positive attention they get all day. I hope it's not but it just might be. I'm talking about younger kids not older.

Look I am sorry for the God given ability comment.  Obviously it came out wrong.  However, you people continue to make my point.  All schools do have similar problems yet WOS is at the bottom (look it up).  If your kids aren't then congratulations they made it despite their school and you should be applauded.  I didn't say it had nothing to do with socioeconomic issues I said "little".  Not near as much as the district likes to lean on that topic.  To me generalizing by race or socioeconomic status is bigoted and I won't participate in that. I promise I will not make another post on the topic.  It has been over done for a football message board.  There is no convincing some people even in the face of overwhelming data (once again look it up).

Let me know what size shirt you wear and I'll be sure you have one for our next home game. You look better in blue and silver anyway.

thanks... i'll take a large ( slim fit ) shirt... if you have matching pants to offer, i wear 30" waist. 

My favorite memory from last year's game...  predicting from the very moment I arrived at Dan Hooks stadium that a golf cart would not restrict Dan from argueing a call out on the field...  only to watch it being played out live right in front of me later in the game.  He actually was driven out onto the field in his golf cart to "discuss things" with the officials.  funny stuff! 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami