Experienced Garrett ready to lead Mustangs

Experienced Garrett ready to lead Mustangs

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

WEST ORANGE — When the going gets tough for young football players, they usually turn to a hard-nosed group of seniors.

Several young West Orange-Stark Mustangs will get a hard test from the Dayton Broncos Friday night in their season opener. Their eyeballs will be quite large when they hit the field at Dan R. Hooks Stadium but several seniors will be right there by their side, including returning All-District 21-3A tailback DePauldrick Garrett.

All Garrett accomplished as a junior was 1,389 yards on the ground to go along with 17 touchdowns on 191 carries.

He remembered what it was like when he got his first taste of varsity action as a sophomore as the Mustangs raced all the way to the Class 3A Division I Semifinals.

“There is a lot of difference playing on Friday night compared to Thursday nights,†Garrett explained. “Everyone is so much faster and they play smarter. It takes a few plays and a game or two to adjust to it. I had some older guys that really helped me along the way and as a senior group, it’s up to us to do that this year. We’ve got some great young guys that are going to do just fine.â€

Doing just fine and then some. That’s what the Mustangs can count on in Garrett.

Garrett is a bowling-ball type of running back that also contains plenty of power. What could make him even tougher this year is that he’s faster and stronger.

“I committed myself to get stronger last offseason,†Garrett said. “I spent most of the summer in the weightroom and I can already tell how much my conditioning has improved.â€

Long-time Mustang coach Dan Hooks loves the type of game Garrett brings to the table.

“DePauldrick had a tremendous season last year and he’s the type of kid that just wants to continue to get better and better,†Hooks said. “He kinda led the parade to the weightroom all summer long. He’s such a competitor and wants to win so bad. He’s so much stronger and faster this year. He’s going to be a load and without a doubt, is one of the finest backs in Southeast Texas.â€

Garrett is the only returner on what was a four-headed machine last season. Gone to graduation includes the likes of quarterback Andre Bevil (125-of-195, 2.069 yards 25 TDs) and receivers Earl Thomas (40-861-13) and Jacoby Franks (44-719-7).

This year’s youth movement will consist of quarterback Ortavious Hypolite and receiver Josh Rhodes along with veteran senior receiver Ronnie Dennis (22-257-2).

“It’s kinda new to me too, because I played with Earl (Thomas) and Jacoby (Franks) for so long and they made my life a lot easier,†Garrett said. “We also have a lot of confidence in Ortavious (Hypolite) Ronnie (Dennis) and Josh (Rhodes). We’ve got a lot of people that can make big plays and we’re still capable of that.â€

Garrett is very confident about his “game†going into this campaign. He’s worked a great deal at improving himself, especially his blocking and pass-catching skills.

“I want to be a complete back and the coaching staff has really helped me as far as picking up certain blocks and getting down the field and making more blocks,†Garrett said. “Guys like Tim Matherne and Brandon Allensworth, who are great for us on the offensive line, are always there giving me tips. Pass-catching, I’ve grown to love that. I was able to work with Ortavious a lot fduring on 7-on-7 this summer and that helped me tremendously.â€

So how much does Coach Hooks want to get the ball in Garrett’s hands this year?

“He’s the type of kid that you’d like to get the ball to at least 20 to 25 times a game,†Hooks said. “He’s one that can take it to the house on any given play and he can even run with tough power to get extra yards. I also see us using him more in the passing game this time. He can be pretty potent in our screen game.â€

Garrett and the Mustangs are preparing for a rugged non-district schedule that includes defending 22-4A champion Dayton Friday, Orange County rival Little Cypress-Mauriceville in the second week and former Class 4A power Bay City the third week.

“There’s no question, we have a very tough non-district schedule,†said Garrett. “We’d love to win them all, but if we don’t, those three games will make us a better football team when district starts up.â€

District 21-3A, well, the Mustangs have owned it since dropping down to Class 3A in 2004. WO-S is a perfect 17-0, claiming the last three district titles with relative ease.

“That’s something we take a whole lot of pride in,†Garrett said. “I don’t think I’ve lost a district game since seventh grade. It can be tough at times because you know everyone is wanting to take you down so bad. With it being our senior year and all, we’d love to do it again. That’s our goal.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124