BIGGIO RETIRING!

Im glad he has decided to hang up the spikes. Hes given the stros many memorable moments, but his departure finally gives them the opportunity to either go out and get a quality second baseman or move Loreitta(spelling) to second and not have to worry about hurting anyones feelings. They hung onto to Bagwell and Biggio for way to long because of sentimental value and in the process lost out on alot of quality players.

venom33, don't speak on that subject again. haha biggio and bagwell only carried the astros for 15 years. bagwell was injured, so it wasn't the astros fault that he left. and biggio still has 2 or 3 more years in him. BUT, they wouldn't be as good. that part you were right about, but the astros are probably going to lose the best player this organization has ever had at the end of this year. he was the LEADER of this team..

no doubt, biggio was and still is the leader,but his better days have long past him,change at second is long over due.

dont forget, this game is decided by alot more than two players. Also, dont forget that all in all they did nothing in the post season.

You dont think the sympathy money that was spent on those two couldnt have gone towards much better players??????

I can't believe we are even having this arguement.

He is a career 282 hitter with almost 300 HR at catcher and second base.  He will likely end this season in the top 5 ALL-TIME in doubles.  There are only seven guys in the history of baseball with 3000 hits and 400 steals  - five of them are in the HOF - the other two are Rickey Henderson and Craig Biggio.  He is a seven time all-star, at two different positions, a 4 time gold glove winner and Bill James said he was the second greatest player of the 90s.  (I think that's high, but he'd be in the Top 5.

For people that really WATCH baseball, and not just look at stats, they alll know that Craig Biggio is legit, and was productive up until this past year.

agree with ruckdad all the way! name one player that the astros could've gotten better than craig biggio?! and don't throw any all-stars in there, because you KNOW the astros wouldn't have put up the money for anyone! they never have, that's why they lost carlos beltran. and don't even say a word about burke, he's been a HUGE bust this year.

Biggio is HOF.

A record Biggio has that may never be broken, along with a few more.

1. Most consecutive batters reaching base safely, an astounding 19, by the Dodgers in 1952.

2. Most hits let up in a 9-inning game, 36 by J. Wadsworth in 1894.

3. Most HR allowed by a winning pitcher, 6 by two guys in the 30s (EDIT--plus Tim Wakefield in 2004 as a few readers have pointed out). This could be breakable, but it is crazy to think that it could happen.

4. Fewest Double Plays hit into (in a season!! someone pointed out that I forgot this rather obvious qualifier): 0 by future (hopefully) Hall of Famer Craig Biggio. Can someone hit into negative double plays to break it??

5. Most doubles in a game, 23 (!) by the Cards and Cubs in 1931.

6. Most inning pitched in one game, in one of the most famous games at least to baseball historians: Leon Cadore and Joe Oeschger, 26. Even fatigue couldn't stop them, the game was halted by rain.

7. Most hits allowed by one pitcher in any game: 29 by Eddie Rommel in 1932 (see a pattern here?)

8. Most runs let up by a pitcher in one game: 24 by Aloysius Travers for Ty Cobb's Tigers. That game has some special circumstances though. Travers pitched for the tigers even though he was just a fraternity kid; the Tigers all walked out because of a Ty Cobb suspension in one of his more noisome events of his career when he trampled a wheelchair bound fan almost to death.

9. Most Doubleheaders in a season, 44 by the White Sox. Maybe the old timers have a point about today's players being sissies.

10. Most Complete Games in a career: Cy Young of course with 751. This is more impressive to me than the 511.

if youre statement about watching is pointed at me then you should maybe redirect. i dont just watch baseball my man nor do i worry about stats, but numbers dont lie and you cant argue with them. also, so what if you watch baseball, so!!!! Does your ability to watch a game either at home or in person mean your opinion is correct???? Heres a few more facts.... 

If stats didnt matter they wouldnt be kept.

Biggio's .282 lifetime average is the lowest of any member of the 3,000 hit club.

His career On Base Percentage is .366, which ranks 327th on the all-time list.

Despite hitting first or second his entire career, Biggio has only topped 200 hits once in his career, which is a sign that his journey to 3,000 has been more about longevity than excellence.

He never won a batting title, and in fact, he only finished in the top 10 in batting twice in his career.

He never led the league in hits, base on balls, times on base, RBI, home runs, steals, or On Base Percentage.

He never won a World Series.

He never won an MVP award

alot of what moves the stros did or didnt make had alot to do with both biggio and bagwell abilities or lack of. i heard at one time kevin millar was a possible signing, but bagwell was still undecided so they missed out yet again.

if bagwell was in a hospital bed somehow they would have him at first hitting third or fourth, it amazes me.

if youre statement about watching is pointed at me then you should maybe redirect. i dont just watch baseball my man nor do i worry about stats, but numbers dont lie and you cant argue with them. also, so what if you watch baseball, so!!!! Does your ability to watch a game either at home or in person mean your opinion is correct???? Heres a few more facts.... 

If stats didnt matter they wouldnt be kept.

Biggio's .282 lifetime average is the lowest of any member of the 3,000 hit club.

His career On Base Percentage is .366, which ranks 327th on the all-time list.

Despite hitting first or second his entire career, Biggio has only topped 200 hits once in his career, which is a sign that his journey to 3,000 has been more about longevity than excellence.

He never won a batting title, and in fact, he only finished in the top 10 in batting twice in his career.

He never led the league in hits, base on balls, times on base, RBI, home runs, steals, or On Base Percentage.

He never won a World Series.

He never won an MVP award

Actually his BA is higher than Ripkens.

Here is a comparison of players with similar stats.

[pre]Player    G    AB      R      H      2B  3B  HR    RBI    TB      BB  SO    SB    CS  OBP  SLG  AVG 

C Ripken    3001  11551 1647  3184  603  44  431  1695  5168 1129 1305  36    39    .340  .447 .276

R Yount      2856  11008 1632 3142  583 126  251 1406    4730  966 1350  271  105  .342  .430 .285

D Winfield  2973  11003 1669 3110  540  88  465  1833  5221 1216 1686  223  96    .353  .475  .283

Henderson  3081  10961  2295 3055  510  66  297 1115  4588 2190 1694  1406  335  .401  .419 .279

C Biggio*    2799  10703 1827  3016  661  55  287 1160  4648 1155 1715  413  123  .365 .434 .282[/pre]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83