Kirbyville?

Guest ECBucFan

Guest ECBucFan

I am not interested in all the recent issues regarding KISD, but strictly speaking of the talent at Kirbyville, what has happened to the players in general over the past few years? Is the talent mostly still on campus there but not being utilized? How much has left? Of those that did leave, where did they go to? Who do they play for now?  

They were on par (or better at times) with us and Newton back when we were briefly in the same 3A district in the 2000's and made several deep playoff runs. I know we don't want to discuss systemic issues, but athletes usually don't just disappear from places like that. Changes have to be made to get those kids motivated to play.  

4 hours ago, Bulldogs92 said:

They were on par (or better at times) with us and Newton back when we were briefly in the same 3A district in the 2000's and made several deep playoff runs. I know we don't want to discuss systemic issues, but athletes usually don't just disappear from places like that. Changes have to be made to get those kids motivated to play.  

Schools have ups and downs for sure. Some groups are special, some are average, and some are just plain DOWN. They will come back around. One of the funniest (but accurate) statements I ever heard was that if you look at all the banners hanging in the gym and notice the years that are NOT up there, these kids are the product of THOSE players lol. This was not about kirbyville by the way. 

2 minutes ago, EAGLEFOREVER said:

Heard from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend that their to hard on little Johnny. The parents will have to lose that attitude. They’re playing football not tiddlywinks. 

Right. If the kids can't handle being coached, their problems won't get fixed. I'm surprised this issue doesn't happen more than it does with so many pampered kids these days. 

6 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I thought kirbyville changed to a baseball school. Didn't they make the state tournament last spring? Winning in any sport makes it more popular. Especially with kids today.

They went to state in baseball last year and lost. They are more geared towards baseball in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, EAGLEFOREVER said:

Heard from a friend, who heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend that their to hard on little Johnny. The parents will have to lose that attitude. They’re playing football not tiddlywinks. 

I’m afraid that’s where society is headed, or we might already be there. The everybody gets a trophy mentality. It’s too easy to whine and complain to mommy and daddy when it gets a little tough. 

Anyway, I’m off my soapbox now.

1 hour ago, NEagles95 said:

They went to state in baseball last year and lost. They are more geared towards baseball in my opinion. 

Too many kids these days, especially in small schools, specialize in one sport. I’m speaking in general terms and my comment is not directed to any particular school. But I’ve seen that a great deal over the past 20 years or so.

1 hour ago, TXHORN_ET said:

Too many kids these days, especially in small schools, specialize in one sport. I’m speaking in general terms and my comment is not directed to any particular school. But I’ve seen that a great deal over the past 20 years or so.

I get they gotta focus on what they’re good at. 

18 hours ago, TXHORN_ET said:

This statement is true. At the smaller schools if the kids specialize the school will (usually) suffer in every sport. 

29 minutes ago, WildcatBacker said:

The talent is there and always has been. The problem is that the football program has been pretty much completely dismantled. Talent can only get you so far if there's no organization to put it all together. 

That’s exactly what I’ve heard.