Question about BISD

Guest etbu

Guest etbu

Where's all of our hard earn tax paying money going then? We in PNG ISD along with WOS are considered wealthy districts, which is a joke.  These communities are all hard working communities and barely stay afloat yet we HAVE to give millions of dollars to poor school districts.  This is the biggest joke.  Our kids suffer from the dollars lost why the so called valley and inner city kids get the benefits. Look at the stadiums they are buiding in the valley compares to the one's in this area.  Also, CY-Fair and the northern section of Katy is mostly minorities and they're schools are way nicer than some of your more so called affluent area's.

Scalp have you been to the city lately?

Guest DickVitale

Scalp em.....WHAT?? :o  When is the last time you visited the Houston area? Cy-Fair? Katy? Minorities? now THATS funny!!  What tax dollars come from Port Neches or Groves get sent to Houston?  What "benefits" do "inner city" schools get that PNG or WOS don't get? What the heck are you talking about?  PNG and WOS are NOT considered wealthy districts, dude....Beaumont ISD actually is the highest paid district of the three you mentioned...Please guy, help me understand what exactly you are talking about here... ???

Scalp em.....WHAT?? :o  When is the last time you visited the Houston area? Cy-Fair? Katy? Minorities? now THATS funny!!  What tax dollars come from Port Neches or Groves get sent to Houston?  What "benefits" do "inner city" schools get that PNG or WOS don't get? What the heck are you talking about?  PNG and WOS are NOT considered wealthy districts, dude....Beaumont ISD actually is the highest paid district of the three you mentioned...Please guy, help me understand what exactly you are talking about here... ???

Weathy as far as amount of tax revenue per the amount of students DV.  Sabine Pass is another so-called rich school district as defined by what I thought was gone 'Robin Hood' property tax plan started in the early 90's.......

Guest DickVitale

OOOHHHH, is THAT what he meant?...OK, but like you, I thought that "Robin Hood" plan was gone.....Is that plan still in place?

Guest etbu

Am I the only Democrat  here that thinks that the entire GOV, Senate, and House needs to swing back to the left? Boy watch my Karma go south over this one.  :'( Until we get rid of the joke we have as a Gov. nothing will be equal.

etbu,

SFA85 can give you a better history of BISD but it has 3 high schools in the district but used to have at least 5. When they combined or closed the schools they used existing stadiums for Central & WB, then used LU for Ozen.

To answer your stadium question, who knows? BISD had what seemed to be a pretty decent plan in place a few years back to renovate Cardinal Stadium and use it as a home field for all 3 schools but with some chatter of LU wanting to eventually re-startup the football program the idea fell through.

It would seem now with only the three HS schools one central location would be nice, but if you ask the coaches & players, expecially @ WB, they probably would prefer to keep their own home fields.

etbu,

SFA85 can give you a better history of BISD but it has 3 high schools in the district but used to have at least 5. When they combined or closed the schools they used existing stadiums for Central & WB, then used LU for Ozen.

To answer your stadium question, who knows? BISD had what seemed to be a pretty decent plan in place a few years back to renovate Cardinal Stadium and use it as a home field for all 3 schools but with some chatter of LU wanting to eventually re-startup the football program the idea fell through.

It would seem now with only the three HS schools one central location would be nice, but if you ask the coaches & players, expecially @ WB, they probably would prefer to keep their own home fields.

Thanks for the love PNG.  6 high schools with 2 school districts, all forced to close/combine via the courts.  BISD wanted to spend 4 mil on Cardinal, which was part of a second 150 mil bond, but it was voted down....

Just a little history for you guys.  I'm originaly from Beaumont, and yes I had to pick a ping pong ball in Elem to see where I was going to be bused to. I've been through that joke of a school district and graduated from the Brook. I left Houston 2 years ago, and Morton Ranch HS, Mayde Creek HS in Katy ISD is mostly minoroities.  Cy-Falls, Cy-Ridge, Langham Creek and couple of others in Cy-Fair are mainly minorities.  HAR.COM did have the school stats that I could back my saying up with, but for whatever reason they don't let you go to it anymore.  Fort Bend ISD along with these school districts are a melting pot and there is no such thing as your WHITE schools anymore with maybe a few exceptions.  The point I was trying to make was that some school districts spend thier money on athletics and some I don't know what they spend it on.  I agree that BISD needs to build One stadium and have sub-varsity fields at the school.  I don't know where you would build a nice big stadium at Central anyways. Much love to everyone :)

Something  fishy about this deal and not a level playing field for all the kids of BISD. Spending money on three different stadiums? Two schools have to travel and one does not?  ???

What's "fishy" about it?  Westbrooks stadium has been there since the beginning of time when it was Forest Park.  The Central stadium was put there after the closing and consolidation of some of the North end and South end schools.  Beaumont French never had a stadium of it's own, they always played at Beaumont Highs Stadium (which was on the Beaumont High Campus).  Why after all these years, is it "fishy" that Westbrook has a stadium on campus.  It isn't like they have first class facilities.  Their facilities aren't any nicer than anybody elses. 

Scalp'em  -You can get demographics from schooldigger.com  Most schools you mention are at or near 50% white! You add African-American, Hispanic, Asian and Native American you get 50%! ;)

They all play at the district stadium together, example Katy ISd, Cy-Fair ISD, and so on.  That's what almost 100% of the school districts in the Houston area do. It doesn't matter if it's 50% white or not. So what you're saying is if a school has atleast 50% white then if they get something then it's racsism. Give me a break. It's this narrow minded area whether it's black or white that keeps us 20 years behind places like the Houston area. Everybody wants to sugar coated instead of saying WHAT you really mean. Once again build one nice stadium for BISD, and call it BISD Stadium, that way nobody gets thier feelings hurt.

If there are only two schools in BISD why do they have two stadiums?

Part of the problem is that there has never been any consistency in the number of high schools fielding UIL football teams in Beaumont.  In the past 50 years there have been 7 major changes ranging from having only 2 competing schools citywide from 1986-1997 (Central and West Brook) to having 6 competing schools from 1967-1974 (Beaumont High, South Park, Forest Park, Charlton-Pollard, French, and Hebert)  How did all of those teams arrange their respective schedules??  Over the past 50 years the longest period without any major change was the 11 year period from '86-'97 so it makes since that there are currently only 2 major stadiums in use. They only needed 2 stadiums until just 9 years ago. 

I have a pretty complete post on the history of public schools in Beaumont over in the historical section which you can get to using the link below:

This is the hidden content, please

For all of you crying about your dollars leaving you.  Yes, it is not fair.  I think it is crazy.  However, if you understood school finance, you would know that the money you send does not go toward facilities.  Facility money is voted on by the local tax payers.  If they want nice facilites, they vote them in.  If you want a nice facility in PNG or BISD, float the bond.  If you tie your money up in facilities, you do not have to send it.  Bond money does ot go to pay for the operation of a school.  You have I&S funds and you have M&O funds.  Quit griping about what you don't have and do something about it.

btw,  who says that Westbrook gets all the money?  Has anyone looked at the athletic budget per high school in Beaumont?  I don't understand the whining in this post when the only Central fan on the thread says that he/she likes Central's stadium and is reasonably satisfied with it.  And, the home field thing sounds silly.  I would hate to think that my team feels disadvantaged because of a 5 minute bus ride.  This from a Democrat!

Guest etbu

btw,  who says that Westbrook gets all the money?  Has anyone looked at the athletic budget per high school in Beaumont?   I don't understand the whining in this post when the only Central fan on the thread says that he/she likes Central's stadium and is reasonably satisfied with it.  And, the home field thing sounds silly.  I would hate to think that my team feels disadvantaged because of a 5 minute bus ride.   This from a Democrat!

How much is the Westbrook budget compared to Central and Ozen?

That's what I'm asking.  It seems there is a perception that Westbrook gets more money.  Can anyone back that up?  My kis goes to Regina-Howell and we get leftovers from other elementary schools.  Our PTA raises money for things the kids need.

That's what I'm asking.  It seems there is a perception that Westbrook gets more money.  Can anyone back that up?   My kis goes to Regina-Howell and we get leftovers from other elementary schools.  Our PTA raises money for things the kids need.

I'm sure every parent can say the same about his or her school lacking behind the others.  I will assume(lol) since all the head coaches get paid the same, their athletic budgets should be close but if you think about it, WB probably gets more for travel since 75% of it's district is in the Houston area while Ozen and Central compete within 35 min from home......

Guest DickVitale

The budgets are all equally distributed...That would be crazy to think otherwise...The thread was discussing the facilities at the different schools in BISD and the need of a new centralized stadium for BISD football (or not).  If you have ever played or coach, you know that HOME FIELD does make a difference...To be able to play games where you practice every day is huge for high school athletes...Home field advantage may not always WIN ballgames, but believe me, it DOES make a difference.

For all of you crying about your dollars leaving you.  Yes, it is not fair.  I think it is crazy.  However, if you understood school finance, you would know that the money you send does not go toward facilities.  Facility money is voted on by the local tax payers.  If they want nice facilites, they vote them in.  If you want a nice facility in PNG or BISD, float the bond.  If you tie your money up in facilities, you do not have to send it.  Bond money does ot go to pay for the operation of a school.  You have I&S funds and you have M&O funds.  Quit griping about what you don't have and do something about it.

Uh, we did. We voted on bond issue that will be part of facility expansion and upgrades. Where is all of our money going then? Sounds like a school board member (oh your money is helping a needy child in the Big Bend/El Paso/or Valley area) Have you seen the facilities that the so called needy districts are building and Yes they're getting someone's money.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami