What High School?

Nothing in this part of the state could equal the playoff run PNG had in the 70's.

NOTHING...

No other team in this area played in front of over 30,000 week after week making it to at least the semi finals 4 years in a row.

No other team has won more games in 4 years than PNG did from 74 to 77.

To me that PNG dynasty was the "zenith" of Friday Night Lights in this part of the state...

Hands down if you could have your kid play his high school career on a team it would be to enter PNG as a freshmen in 1974.

I agree as soon as started school at Taft Elementary in 1985 those teams were legendary. I remember it seemed like a dream then came 1989 when Ron McGill and the boys brought back the spirit to The Reservation and I had my first chance to see PN-G in the Dome when they beat Lamar Consolidated. Then the thing that stuck in my mind the most from my first day of high school on the windows of the doors in the old A wing the football stickers for the 1970s state semifinals, finals and champions were still there. I would definatly want to play for the PN-G dynasty of the mid 70s. Position Free Safety or Wide Receiver.

You know everybody on this board is going to be loyal to their school, right? I would have liked to have been involved in Jasper as an incoming freshman in 1980. I never played football due to a mild disability, but I did what anybody in my position would do that loves their program...which was the manager/trainer role. In 1980, the Dogs went 8-0-2 and tied one of those great Hebert teams, which kept them out of the playoffs. In 1981, they went 7-2-1 and again missed the playoffs due to a loss to Hebert. During that two-year span, they went 0-1-1 against both Huntsville and Hebert.

The following two years were two of the most dominant in Jasper history. Both 1982 and 1983 squads featured outstanding defenses and 12-1 seasons. Willowridge and tailback Thurman Thomas ended hopes for a state title in '82 and '83.

Those years produced a few of the strongest Jasper teams that have ever graced the Boneyard. There are several in the past few years that surpass those teams offensively, but in those days the Bulldogs won with their defense. I believe that if the Bulldogs ever win it all, those defense intensive squads need to return.

Guest EagleFan01

Any time in Newton except for the 94 or 95 year can't really remember but that was a down year for us but any other time would have been fine cause they are always good.

I wished I would've kept playing QB after my freshman year instead of quitting to play soccer. Don't get me wrong, I loved kicking this year for the varsity team, but I used to love to play QB, just the feeling of being in control. Oh and by the way for those who don't know, yes I'm from Vidor. And no I don't care how bad our records have been over the years, just the feeling of playing for your school, in front of all those people is remarkeable...

Guest BigHam

Nothing in this part of the state could equal the playoff run PNG had in the 70's.

NOTHING...

No other team in this area played in front of over 30,000 week after week making it to at least the semi finals 4 years in a row.

No other team has won more games in 4 years than PNG did from 74 to 77.

To me that PNG dynasty was the "zenith" of Friday Night Lights in this part of the state...

Hands down if you could have your kid play his high school career on a team it would be to enter PNG as a freshmen in 1974.

Gotta agree with you. I played against PNG those 4 years. Nothing like them at the time. We lost to them 20 - 8 my last year and we thought we had just won state. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics