RANDOM OBSERVATIONS-JASPER/BC GAME 1

After sitting through game 1 of the Jasper/BC series, there are a number of observations that can be made:

1. It was a great crowd and proves what we probably already knew – baseball is alive and well in SE Texas.  It was intense, vocal, etc. – everything a Regional Final series should be.

2. The caliber of baseball was not state championship baseball.  Indeed, it was probably “1st scrimmage of the year†baseball.  Jasper had 4 errors (all early on).  BC had 9 (that’s right, nine, nueve, almost 10, etc.) errors … I know the scoreboard only ‘credited’ them with 6 but that was generous.  Simply put, it was ugly.  Of course, Jasper gets credit for putting the ball in play and, when you do that, sometimes good things happen.  No one can give a team of Jasper’s quality 9 extra outs and expect to win.

3. While the caliber may have been lacking, the effort and intensity was not.  Jasper gets high marks for bouncing back from the early 6-1 deficit.  Aaron Stephenson was nearly unhittable in 5 innings of work.  After allowing a 3rd inning run, BC’s offense practically disappeared.  That was Stephenson’s doing.  While most of the post-game chatter has been about the errors (mine included), #16’s pitching deserves a lot of credit.

4. The pitching duel between Stringer and Reagan never really materialized.  Jasper had 9 hits (although some of those should have been called errors) but still … the ‘Dogs did not back down.  Stringer deserved better than what he got from his defense but was not dominating.  He touched 88 or 89 a couple of times but basically pitched at 86.  Once Jasper stopped lunging after his breaking pitch, their offense got rolling.  Reagan only lasted 2 innings.  He hit 87 a time or two but pitched at 84-85 which, quite frankly, was what I expected.  He had little command and that led to his downfall.  In the overall scheme of things (and with hindsight being 20-20), Mixon’s pitching change in the 3rd probably won the game for Jasper.

5. Coaching decisions (primarily Bryant’s) have come under fire over the past 12 hours.  While I would not have walked Hart, I can’t say it was the wrong decision at the time (granted, it turned out wrong but that’s baseball).  Its just 2 schools of thought.  As far as sending the kid home on the fly ball…if you’re gonna gamble, that was a good time to do it.  Jasper was reeling, it was 6-1, they had made 4 errors, etc.  Quite frankly, I thought he could have been more aggressive on the bases earlier.  I am surprised (after Jasper demonstrated a lack of ability to handle the bunt) BC did not put the ball down more…especially after Jasper tied the score and Stephenson was cruising.  I repeat…Mixon’s pitching change was a superior move.  Not only did it change the flow of the game, it also saves Reagan for Saturday…if needed.

Game 2 is tonight.  One would expect Meeks on the hill for BC and, for Jasper, who knows????  Mixon is pretty cagy when it comes to his pitching rotation.  He might throw Stephenson again, he could throw Ellis, and he has Parsons (who warmed up a couple of times last night).  Heck, he could even throw Reagan some.

What I really hope is that we see a quality game between 2 quality teams (and that the rain stays away).  Get there early since the crowd will be at least as big as last night.  And, as always…Play Ball !!!!

I agree with just about everything you said.  Which hits did you think should have been errors?  There were a couple very hard hit balls that were bobbled deep in the hole that were scored hits and should have been.  Not that it matters, but I figured there would be some that downplayed a very good offensive night for the Dogs against a dominate pitcher.  One thing stands out in my mind is the shift of momentum that took place when Bronson had that triple.  The outfielders were so far in, and were expecting him to slap at the ball like he normally does.  It is almost like BC lost their composure once Jasper tied it up. 

Great observation on the pitching change MIF04.

Great coaching move for the simple reason that he gets the pitcher

out of the game and saves his arm for another day, the of chance that

they come back and he can bring him back in the same game or

just to clean the slate and make the game respectable.

A move in my opinion that saved his season.  A good coaching move that

is not done enough in my opinion.

BC's game plan was not bad.  The errors on top of the timely hitting by

the dogs just led to a long inning.

Might be reaching but games like this seem to dismantle the core

foundation of a team and it takes a season to lay that foundation.

Not enough time left to start over.  Dig deep Cards', you will need it.

Randon Observation of the messages so far:

BC has 6 errors, no 7, no 9

BC coaching cost them the game for sending the kid home in the 3rd inning up 6-1 on a fly ball 8-10 in the outfield.

BC coaching lost the game for intentionally walking T. Hart.

BC coaching wasn't aggressive enough on the base pads.

BC was outcoached because Jasper put in a new pitcher and they didn't adjust.  (Not sure what adjustment was expect, but it is a good excuse nonetheless.)

BC gave the game away again just like the last 2 games against Jasper.

BC is the better team (even though they are 0-3 against Jasper).

Random Observations from the game I witnessed:

BC's coaching has their hands ful with the type of fans and attitudes of some of the players.

Jasper fought back to win a game that BC will cry about from now on.

Jasper deserves a lot of credit for digging deep and battling back.  Jasper showed what a championship is made of last night.  It is called heart.  They could have given up, but they didn't.  It is a game of emotion sometimes, BC lost control of theirs and the game.

I am sick and tired of hearing the Bridge City people bash their coach. Just from looking at it from the outside they should get behind him and Straighten up those little Prima Donas he is trying to Coach. Look at the man's record. That alone should is something desired by many coaches.

Randon Observation of the messages so far:

BC has 6 errors, no 7, no 9

BC coaching cost them the game for sending the kid home in the 3rd inning up 6-1 on a fly ball 8-10 in the outfield.

BC coaching lost the game for intentionally walking T. Hart.

BC coaching wasn't aggressive enough on the base pads.

BC was outcoached because Jasper put in a new pitcher and they didn't adjust.  (Not sure what adjustment was expect, but it is a good excuse nonetheless.)

BC gave the game away again just like the last 2 games against Jasper.

BC is the better team (even though they are 0-3 against Jasper).

Random Observations from the game I witnessed:

BC's coaching has their hands ful with the type of fans and attitudes of some of the players.

Jasper fought back to win a game that BC will cry about from now on.

Jasper deserves a lot of credit for digging deep and battling back.  Jasper showed what a championship is made of last night.  It is called heart.  They could have given up, but they didn't.  It is a game of emotion sometimes, BC lost control of theirs and the game.

Typical Observation by a typical Jasper fan.... :P

I am sick and tired of hearing the Bridge City people bash their coach. Just from looking at it from the outside they should get behind him and Straighten up those little Prima Donas he is trying to Coach. Look at the man's record. That alone should is something desired by many coaches.

Once again an outsider who only knows part of the story puts his two cents in. I agree the bashing of the BC coach shouldn't be so public, but the BC people are the ones who see everything that has gone on for years. There are valid reasons for the opinions of some of the people who criticize the coach, but this forum is really not the place to discuss it. Hopefully everyone will let it rest, including those who have no dog in the hunt.

Guest kosmo

He won't and can't.  That's why they can't win the big one...

Amen.  I think the best way to describe it, is riding the coattails of your great talent. 

Amen.  I think the best way to describe it, is riding the coattails of your great talent. 

Jasper has great talent as well and hasn't made it to Austin since the mid 80s.  Not like there is only one great team out there every year loaded with talent.  How many state championships have PNG and Nederland won with all that talent they have had come through in the last decade? 

amen...shadow ...you are sooooooooooooo right....only a very few ...of course you have to go back aways to find one.....but as far as the last four or five years blacksher will probably be the first......like it or not bryant is a good coach and there is not to many coaches in the whole state that can say they been to three state tournaments and maybe four

Guest Orangeboy

He won't and can't.  That's why they can't win the big one...

Seems to me Coach Bryant has won several big ONE'S. I think they have won 11 playoff series in a row under him. You have to win in the playoffs to get to the Big Dance, and he has done that the last 3 years. He and his Cards will get the job done today.

You guys keep saying what Coach Bryant "can't" do.  You are not informed.  Given the leeway to do things his way, you would see some differences with personnel.  Also, you can't win today without putting up with a little bit of "prima donna."  This is not 1970 where the coach determines how long your hair is, when you go to bed, what you eat,..." 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder