Jasper snares Game One away from Cardinals

Jasper snares Game One away from Cardinals

Gabe Pruett

The Orange Leader

BEAUMONT — There is something about playing the Jasper Bulldogs which brings out the worst in the Bridge City Cardinals.

The Cardinals' defense, which had been stellar throughout the playoffs, committed six errors Thursday night as the Bulldogs took Game 1 of the Class 3A Region III Regional Finals, 8-6, in front of 2,126 fans at Lamar University's Vincent Beck Stadium.

Game 2 is at 7 p.m. today at Vincent Beck. Fans are encouraged to arrive early due to the large crowds, the gates will open at 5 p.m. Game 3, if necessary, will be at 4 p.m. Saturday at Vincent Beck.

Jasper (31-6) scored the winning runs in the top of the fifth as John Bradley led the inning off with a single to center.

With one down, relief pitcher Aaron Stephenson sacrificed Bradley to second and he would then come in to score on a Bridge City (27-7-1) error making it 7-6.

Taylor Hart reached on a bunt and moved to second on a stolen base before coming in to score on another Cardinal error when designated hitter Malcolm Bronson reached on the play.

"They battled and did what it took to win the game," Bridge City Coach Billy Bryant said. "It is not real complicated. We made a bunch of errors and when their second pitcher came in, we could not hit him."

Stephenson came in to pitch in the top of the third and from then on the Cardinals batters could only deliver four hits and one run. Stephenson struck out nine batters and walked just walked one batter.

One of the biggest plays in the game occurred in the top of the fourth as with two down and a runner on first in the top of the fourth, Bryant elected to intentionally Hart and pitch to Bronson.

Bronson made the Cardinals pay for the decision as he ripped a two-run triple into right center making it 6-3 Cardinals.

Bronson did not stay at third long as he came in to score off a Travis Reagan infield single making it 6-4.

Justin Parsons then reached on a throwing error by Bridge City catcher Casey Jackson after Jeff Stringer struck out Pryor.

The Cardinals then once again let the Bulldogs off the hooks as both baserunners came in to score as Chantz Pryor reached on a Bridge City error.

In all in the top of the fourth, the Bulldogs scored five runs on three hits and got help from two Bridge City errors.

"We did the intentional walk because the next guy up was a better match-up," Bryant said. "Sometimes those things do not work out for you. There are no guarantees, we were just trying to give ourselves the best chance."

The Bulldogs got their first run in the top of the first as Pryor led off with a single and moved all the way to third on two stolen bases.

Stringer then struck out the next two batters and then struck out Ryan Ellis but BC catcher Casey Jackson dropped the ball and when he threw to first the ball got past first baseman Chase Warner. The error allowed Pryor to score making it 2-1.

Stringer worked the entire game for the Cardinals as he gave up nine hits and three walks while striking out 12 batters.

"That triple killed me," Stringer said. "We would get a break but then they would capitalize on our mistakes. It is hard to win with six errors no matter who you are. We had momentum but just fell completely apart. This is unacceptable. I know I also didn't have my best game tonight so we have to come back tomorrow and do a whole lot better."

The Cardinals broke out of the gates early as Troy Bolton led the bottom of the first inning off with a double to right center.

Bolton came in to score making it 1-0 as Johnny Dishon advanced all the way to second on an error by Jasper third baseman Parker Phillips.

Matt Hicks then ripped a RBI single into left field giving Dishon plenty of time to score from second making it 2-0 Bridge City.

Bridge City then busted out for three more runs in the bottom of the second as Joe Robertson led off with a single to right center and moved to third as Jaden Dillon hit an infield single and advanced to second on an error.

During the play, Robertson came in to score on another Jasper error making it 3-1 Bridge City.

Bolton sacrificed Dillon to third and Dishon was walked on five pitches.

With two down, Casey Jackson roped a two RBI double to right center making it 5-1 Cardinals.

Bridge City scored its sixth run as Daniel Willey led off with a walk and took second on a wild pitch.

Dillon then brought Willey home with a RBI single to left.

"I can't point to one play being the killer tonight," Bryant said. "If you don't play well against a good team, you will not win."

Guest Bridge City Card

I hate when we lose because of dumb mistakes. We beat the #1 team in the State with no errors and when we play Jasper it's errors. Hell we had a 6-1 lead, come on cards show them who REALLY is the better team.

I hate when we lose because of dumb mistakes. We beat the #1 team in the State with no errors and when we play Jasper it's errors. heck we had a 6-1 lead, come on cards show them who REALLY is the better team.

lol i think they pretty much showed who the real better team is tonight........JASPER! ;D

Guest Bridge City Card

Dude we gave that game away. We had a 6-0 lead then the errors came. Take away the errors and we win by 8 at least.

I hate when we lose because of dumb mistakes. We beat the #1 team in the State with no errors and when we play Jasper it's errors. heck we had a 6-1 lead, come on cards show them who REALLY is the better team.

BC certainly is very talented, but both teams had many error and mental mistakes in this one.  Only the divine would know what the outcome of this game could have been without any of those mistakes.  Part of being a great team is intangibles such as playing under pressure and making plays.  Jasper made a few more of those plays again tonight.  Bottom line is Jasper is 3-0 against BC at this point.  Hopefully if they make it 4 BC fan's will show some respect.  I know I wouldn't be surprised if BC took the next two because they are that good, but Jasper is an excellent team as well.

Dude we gave that game away. We had a 6-0 lead then the errors came. Take away the errors and we win by 8 at least.

You need to take those big red glasses off and be realistic here.  Of course the errors hurt..they hurt both teams, but errors are part of the game.  Jasper had 9 or 10 legit hits against Stringer.  How many times has that happened this year?

Guest Bridge City Card

Jasper is very talented, no doubt. I was just saying we had a very big lead before the errors started. I think if we play error free Friday and Sat. we win by 5 at least. If not i'll wish Jasper the best of luck in Austin.

Jasper is very talented, no doubt. I was just saying we had a very big lead before the errors started. I think if we play error free Friday and Sat. we win by 5 at least. If not i'll wish Jasper the best of luck in Austin.

Very well might happen, but Jasper is hitting the ball very well right now and could just as easy win by the same 5 tomorrow.  Only time will tell, and like you I will cheer on the 21-3A representative either way.

well how about this guys......lets not be so "generous" and "give" the games away........lets not make the "dumb mistakes".........i mean hey...the bulldogs do not make opponents make mistakes.....they aren't asking teams to give them the game......dont turn bad play into an exuse for losing........think about it......if jasper doesn't make the errors in the first inning.....BC doesn't get handed a 2-0 lead......maybe the dawgs were being "generous" and "giving" the game away.......

Guest JHS_Alumni05

morgan you are a dumb a-s, bc gave the game away

Why cant BC just accept the fact that they LOST? And move on.

It seemed to me the momentum swung when jasper got that out at home (when their left fielder threw it on a rope and the catcher blocked the plate and held on to the ball) from then on BC looked like there heads were down and jasper caught fire.

And you don't think the era's where a factor....And for the Left fielder throwing on a rope, get real, BC's coach should have never sent the runner with the Left Fielder catching the ball about 8-10 feet out of the infield, any outfielder can make that throw...

Man you sure are quick to throw your coach under the bus!!!!

Most of the errors came after that play didn't they???

Looked like a great throw to me, he may have been shallow but it was right on the money all the catcher had to do was catch it and hold on!!!

The Jasper catcher held on the ball at home plate, but that's all he did with the ball.  Have the entire game on video and the catcher never touched the BC runner with the ball.  The catcher came no closer than 2 feet from him with the ball.  Bad call by ump.  The catcher just kept showing the ump the ball, and the ump forgot the runner had to be tagged with it also.  He called it like it was a forced run.  Along with that bad call and lots of BC errors, they just couldn't overcome it.  Hope to see better luck for BC tonight.

You may be right I thought the guy ran smack dab into the glove trying to run him over, if thats the case he was out, Right call or not it swung the momentum. I thought the umps called a great game. I don't think i saw either coache even talk to an ump, that is rare.

The Jasper catcher held on the ball at home plate, but that's all he did with the ball.  Have the entire game on video and the catcher never touched the BC runner with the ball.  The catcher came no closer than 2 feet from him with the ball.  Bad call by ump.  The catcher just kept showing the ump the ball, and the ump forgot the runner had to be tagged with it also.  He called it like it was a forced run.  Along with that bad call and lots of BC errors, they just couldn't overcome it.  Hope to see better luck for BC tonight.

It was inevitable that someone would complain about the umpiring.  Ridiculous no matter how it was intended.

10 errors in this game.  Each team has to make some adjustments, because they have thrown their aces and now (presumably) the ball will be in play much more and defense will be ab even bigger factor for runs scored.

Clean up the play first, then maybe you can blame an umpire.

Guest JHS_Alumni05

It was inevitable that someone would complain about the umpiring.  Ridiculous no matter how it was intended.

10 errors in this game.  Each team has to make some adjustments, because they have thrown their aces and now (presumably) the ball will be in play much more and defense will be ab even bigger factor for runs scored.

Clean up the play first, then maybe you can blame an umpire.

Very nicely put, Silsbee. Plain and simple, the boy was out, Blake's an awesome catcher and got the job done. Quit blaming the umpire.

BC's Jaden Dillon touches home plate but Jasper catcher Blake Alexander also held on to the ball for the out as the Bulldogs scored 7 unanswered runs for an 8-6 win over BC in Game 1 of the best-of-three.  BC finished with seven errors as the wheels fell off with a 6-1 lead.  Game 2 is Friday at 7pm on KOGT.

Dillon-Jasper.JPG

Jasper's outfielder was shallow and deep enough for BC to go for the score.  The kid coming home ran right into the middle of the catcher who held the glove into his chest as he is supposed to.  Any time you a collision of that magnitude and the catcher has the ball with the running hitting hit almost square it is a no brainer out!  No way any umpire with any experience calls that play safe.

Guest Bulldog

Great Picture...but you also have to keep in mind that was after the impact and the Catcher had already been spun around.

True.

Not blaming the loss on the bad call at home, just saying video doesn't lie.  During the game I didn't think he was safe either.  Didn't know until I watched the video and saw what happened.  Don't care how much in advance the ball was there, the runner still must be tagged and he wasn't - plain and simple.  Is was a good throw and a good catch and a good attempt to reach plate.  Coach shouldn't have sent a runner when the ball was so caught so close to the infield.  Guess he was hoping on a off target throw.  Catcher just lifted the glove and ball before the runner plowed him.  Smart thing to do so the ball wouldn't get lost, and quick enough for the ump not to catch it.  Might have been reaction also.  Don't be so offended.  Wasn't making light of the team, just a plain fact after watching video of the game.  Thought all would want to know how it actually happened. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed