Metal Spikes vs. Plastic (Safety Issues)

Just seeing what people thought of metal spikes for HS baseball/softball players...are there safety issues? Are metal spikes that much better than plastic? should HS players be allowed to wear metal, or should they all wear plastic spikes? Just a random thought I had after having a player stitched up after taking a spike to the thigh...any and all thoughts welcome!!!

I personally think spikes are better than rubber cleats, but then it can be a persoanl choice.  I have known pitchers that rathered throw in plastic cleats.  I don't think there are really any serious safety issues, as long as the kids aren't imulating the great Ty Cobb and filing their spikes down  :D.  Besides that they make a cool sound when you walk on concreate 8)

to me, rubber cleats are just like tennis shoes...your gonna slip and fall regardless.  Plastic cleats are the same to me as metal.  The plastic is long and really digs in the turf the same as metal cleats do.  As far as the safety issue goes...accidents with metal cleats are few and far between similar to hockey accidents with their skates...so metal, plastic I don't think it really matters.....but I do agree metal sounds cool walking on concrete! ;D

Speaking as someone who has taken a spike or two turnning double play's in College........bring it on........it's just war paint!!

Seariously......personal choice is fine but limiting players would be wrong.......I say stay metal.......the slide rule, called correctly, should limit but not do away with most injuries.........We colud get into 'spikes high' with this issue.

Speaking as someone who has taken a spike or two turnning double play's in College........bring it on........it's just war paint!!

Seariously......personal choice is fine but limiting players would be wrong.......I say stay metal.......the slide rule, called correctly, should limit but not do away with most injuries.........We colud get into 'spikes high' with this issue.

So you don't like the sound Metal Cleats make when walking on concrete.... ;D ;D ??? ??? ;D ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami