Gillispie....and he is gone...Press Conference Friday!

Coach Gillispie is one of the top coaches in the country, and we certainly do not want to lose him,” Byrne said in a statement. “At the same time, I do not want to stand in the way of any member of my department who wants to explore another option if he or she feels that is in their best interest.

He has, but commitment means very little in the world of coaching today.  Kentucky will likely make him the highest paid coach in America.

That will be for a short period of time!!!!!!!

Donovan will start negotiations for a new contract with Florida when he returns from vacation in 2 weeks!!!  He will make over 3 million a year!!!

The alleged deal from Kentucky had them ready to offer 2.8 million to Donavon to come to Kentucky!!!  They will not pay more than that to Gillispie.

no not really.  I am obviously upset that he is leaving, but I can understand it.  Its Kentucky.  Coach Gillispie has devoted his life to basketball and is so passionate about it and he wants to be at a place that has that same passion.  While there were certainly a lot of basketball fans at A&M, it will always be football first, because that is the culture in our state.  This is a dream for him and I think most people expected that this might happen.

Gillispie brought us to the Sweet 16, showed our alumni and the country that A&M can be a winning basketball program and because of him there has been significant investments with new facilities that will go forward.  He has set the program up to do great things and leaves us in much better shape than when he showed up.  It is up to Bill Byrne and the athletic department to find someone who can keep it going and with the financial resources A&M has and the desire now for a winning basketball program, it should be able to do so.

While I am saddened by this news, if you had asked me if we could get a coach to come in and lead A&M to three 20+ win seasons and 2 NCAA tourneys, including a Sweet 16 and top 10 finish, but that coach will leave after three years, I would have gladly taken it.  I wish him luck and I know that he will do well, as he has done well everywhere else he has been and I thank him for showing people at A&M that we can have a strong basketball program.

I cant be as nice as lonestar was... I feel betrayed in a sense... Not just because he is leaving. Coaches come and go in all sports and I understand that, but recently he made several comments basically stating that he would not be leaving College Station anytime soon. Dont make those promises if you cant keep them... This sucks...

March 30, 2007

“I am thankful for the commitment Texas A&M continues to make to allow us to do the things we need to do, to achieve our ultimate goal—winning a national championship,†Gillispie said. “The commitment has been there since day one and continues to grow stronger still. While it’s embarrassing to me to be compensated so well to perform my passion for a school I love, I am sincerely appreciative of the efforts of Bill Byrne, our university administration, the board of regents and everyone associated with Texas A&M for their personal support they continue to show. We will continue to do our best to try and make the Texas A&M family proud.â€

LIAR!

Here are a couple of statements from another article that are in my opinion the cold hard truth....

"Here's the other thing to know about Billy Clyde Gillispie. He was never going to stay at Texas A&M. Never. If he didn't have a legitimate reason to leave, he was going to invent one."

"His word means nothing. He's a liar in the worst sense of the word. He will come up with some reason for leaving Texas A&M, but the bottom line is he gave his word that he would stay when he probably never had any intention of staying."

"Gillispie will attempt to find whatever he's looking for in Kentucky. He won't find it. He'll never find it. The Aggies shouldn't sweat his leaving. He's not worth it."

I called this one 2 weeks ago.....say what you want about me being anti atm but I told you so!!  Stick that in your karma meter  ::)

Re: 2 hours 25 minutes

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 08:56:13 PM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:::phone rings::::

Billy Gillespie:  Hello

Kentucky AD Mitch Barnhart:  Hi Billy, this is Mitch Barnhart how would you like to be the new basketball coach here at Kentucky?

BG:  Got beer??

MB:  Better...we got all the Kentucky bourbon you can drink

BG:  Can I get my picture taken with Ashley Judd?

MB:  Huh?  Yeah sure.

BG:  Do I have to whoop or hump it?

MB:  Uhhhh no

BG:  Sign me up

Seriously though if i was a big A&M fan i would be pissed. It's all about the money. We know dam well he was making plenty at College Station.

In most cases I would say yes, however I know BG... and its not about the money... its about his ego and what kind of legacy he wants to leave behind... He basically raped the student body and everyone who believed in him, just because he wants to be remembered like Coach K or Roy, but he never will be... I think he will be remembered as the coach who gave it all up and moved to Kentucky to have two mediocre seasons and then gets fired.....

BTHO Gillispie!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami