Help rename BC baseball field after Coach Young

I am leading a contingency of Bridge City former baseball players, parents, and supporters in a motion to have BC's baseball field renamed for Coach Chuck Young.  Coach Young served as BC's head baseball coach for 30 years before departing in 1996, and we have started an online petition to back our cause.

We are looking to get the word out to as many supporters as possible.

Coach Young will be returning to be part of the ceremony this Saturday, March 24, celebrating the 1992 state finalist team.  Below is the message we have posted in various places.

Thank you for any support you can offer as we try to have our coach honored appropriately.

Sincerely,

Frank Giarratano

BC Baseball 1996-98

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRIDGE CITY, TX -- The baseball field that Coach Vernon "Chuck" Young built from the ground up still plays home to one of the best programs in the state of Texas, passed on into the Billy Bryant era, but something is still missing: Young himself.

Eleven years after leaving for Texas City, Coach Young will make his return to the place where it all began on Saturday, March 24, 2007, as the Cardinal baseball program celebrates the 15-year anniversary of its 1992 state finalist team. Young is expected to be in attendance for one of the few times since his departure following the 1996 campaign.

Along with pitching coach Charles Miller, Young was the face of Bridge City for generations of Cardinal student-athletes. As focused as Young was on developing his players into successful ballplayers, grooming successful people always took precedent. More than his players learned the game, they learned about accountability, discipline, teamwork, hard work, and fortitude.

Coach Young manned the home dugout at Cardinal Field for 30 years, building a legacy matched by few. He has since carried the magic over to the Texas City Stings, who have reached the playoffs numerous times since Young's arrival.

Former athletes, alumni, parents: It's time we honor him appropriately. Come show your support for our Coach this weekend.

But it shouldn't stop there.

"Chuck Young Field" sure has a nice ring to it.

Please visit the following website to help support the movement to have the park appropriately renamed for our Coach: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ourcoach.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played for Coach Young from 1980-1982, what I learned from him still applies to my life today, as well as my children's.  Hard work, and dedication in whatever you do will make you a better person.  I gladly join this petiton, it's a way to honor a man who has touched so many lives in a positive manner.

Frank

There is no doubt about it.  That is exactly what that field should be named. 

Coach Young is not only one of the greatest people that ever walked the face of this earth, but he is one of the founding fathers of Southeast Texas baseball. One of the others already had a field named after him.

I know he was yours (BC), but the impact he had on people reached far beyond those bridges.  There has never been a man more deserving of such an honor.

Steve Griffith

LCM Baseball

Coach Griff, it's good to hear from you.  I can remember Coach Young speaking highly of LCM and yourself when I was just a wide-eyed sophomore on varsity, ironically his final season at Bridge City in 1996.  We fellow players just want him to know that his although he's no longer at BC, he'll always be our Coach, and his name should be there for everyone to see.

Thanks for the support.

Count me in.  No one deserves it more.  I'd love to have tobacco juice spit on my shoes just one more time for not paying attention when he was talking.  He is the kind of man I always hoped I would be and when you played for him - you would follow him anywhere.  I cried when he left.  Let's do whatever it takes to get this done!

;D

although i played against coach young only a couple of times i will always remember coach griff talking about him and how great a man and baseball coach he is.  i am honored to sign this petition.  it is a great idea frank and it is nice to hear from you.

justin gibbons

Guest zunder

It is a no-brainer to me. If BC wants to do good things for good people, it would be hard to find a better man than Coach Young. He is one of the most respected men in the coaching profession. NOBODY would deserve it more than him. Its time BC gave him the repsect he has deserved for along time.

Cardinal Baseball was put on the map by Chuck Young and the program became one of the State's best because of his hard work and dedication. The only problem I see is it should have been done years ago.

2 Names are at the Top when you think of baseball in this area....Coach Anderson-WOS and Coach Young-BC.

Cardinal Baseball Alum 1977-1980

How about that ceremony on Saturday.  What an incredible event that was.  Bridge City put on a great show for the '92 boys, and the current team served up the encore with a 4-2 victory to boot.

I hope everyone realizes how lucky we all were to be associated with two classy guys like Coaches Young and Miller.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder