Stats Fast TRAX...... PNG-Central

Stattrax

With Playoff implications on the line, the Jags and Indians came out on Thursday night ready for action. 

My thoughts.....

Central, without there first string QB, started the game with a disadvantage. But that's the way football goes. I thought offensively they ran the ball well at times, but the passing attack was struggling most of the night. Play selection appeared to be better than years past, meaning they where not as predictable. The coaching staff seemed to have it together and Definately had the team playing hard until the end. The defense looked pretty good, other than the few long plays that the WRs got by the DB. But give them credit, they played man coverage with a single high safety all night. After seeing the whole district play now, IMO, Central is a top 4 team reguardless of the final standings. I hope they make the playoffs because they have some speed and talent. With the exception of PAM, some of the district teams look like JV squads. Central does not, they are a good team and can get out of the first round if they are clicking.

PNG, offensively there where periods where you could see what they can do. But overall, I think what you saw was a "B" night. RJ was amped up and played pretty good. He did miss some throws that he usually doesn't, and he did make some highlight throws that no one else can. IMO, the running backs need to get more consistent when they hit the hole. My example is the few times Hughes ran the ball, he hit the hole for a quick 5 yards, no dancing, just getting yardage. PNG needs to work on that. Riggs, well he's a BEAST, and I'm sure no one will contradict that statement. Defensively, I thought they did well. Lots of missed tackles, but still made plays. #37 and #47 where difference makers. As for the DBs, last night was the first night they looked for the ball. So some good coaching has taken place. Kudos to those guys for 4 picks.... I do not think that was PNGs best game, but we are peaking at the right time. A couple of special team issues need to be fixed, however, #30 is still money even though he missed 1....

So my stance has not changed.

Playoff Teams should be

Central

Nederland

PAM

PNG

IMO that is the 4 best teams that can give the best showing for the District.....

And Central is not a team I would sleep on in the First Round! 

16 minutes ago, Stattrax said:

With Playoff implications on the line, the Jags and Indians came out on Thursday night ready for action. 

My thoughts.....

Central, without there first string QB, started the game with a disadvantage. But that's the way football goes. I thought offensively they ran the ball well at times, but the passing attack was struggling most of the night. Play selection appeared to be better than years past, meaning they where not as predictable. The coaching staff seemed to have it together and Definately had the team playing hard until the end. The defense looked pretty good, other than the few long plays that the WRs got by the DB. But give them credit, they played man coverage with a single high safety all night. After seeing the whole district play now, IMO, Central is a top 4 team reguardless of the final standings. I hope they make the playoffs because they have some speed and talent. With the exception of PAM, some of the district teams look like JV squads. Central does not, they are a good team and can get out of the first round if they are clicking.

PNG, offensively there where periods where you could see what they can do. But overall, I think what you saw was a "B" night. RJ was amped up and played pretty good. He did miss some throws that he usually doesn't, and he did make some highlight throws that no one else can. IMO, the running backs need to get more consistent when they hit the hole. My example is the few times Hughes ran the ball, he hit the hole for a quick 5 yards, no dancing, just getting yardage. PNG needs to work on that. Riggs, well he's a BEAST, and I'm sure no one will contradict that statement. Defensively, I thought they did well. Lots of missed tackles, but still made plays. #37 and #47 where difference makers. As for the DBs, last night was the first night they looked for the ball. So some good coaching has taken place. Kudos to those guys for 4 picks.... I do not think that was PNGs best game, but we are peaking at the right time. A couple of special team issues need to be fixed, however, #30 is still money even though he missed 1....

Playoff Teams should be

Central

Nederland

PAM

PNG

IMO that is the 4 best teams that can give the best showing for the District.....

5 minutes ago, Stattrax said:

Just curious though, why Central? They got doubled up by Vidor, we handed them 9 points on a fumble for a td and a punt that went for 0 yards and put them on the 15 yard line that resulted in a field goal. So, other than that, they scored 1 offensive td on us. I agree they have the talent but obviously have yet to put it all together. If they were able to get things straight then yes I do believe they have the talent to make some noise come playoff time. But I just couldn’t see it happening this year. I believe Vidor has earned that spot over Central... don’t tell me your handing out moral victories now stat?!? Lol just kidding!

Because IMO the rest of the district is cupcakes. I have no idea how Vidor beat Central. I just think Vidor is an easy out in the playoffs. I did not see much from them when we played them. In the end they will get in and be one in done... No moral victory just a honest assessment, if I where a coach and got the choice to pick Vidor or Central as my first round opponent, I would Pick Vidor. It's the easier out.... Central has better athletes, speed, and a better defense. Obviously something went wrong against Vidor, it's just my opinion. Central seems to always be that bubble team that shoulda woulda and coulda. If they finally get over the hump, the days of anyone else getting in over them other than the top 3 are over. 

16 minutes ago, Stattrax said:

Because IMO the rest of the district is cupcakes. I have no idea how Vidor beat Central. I just think Vidor is an easy out in the playoffs. I did not see much from them when we played them. In the end they will get in and be one in done... No moral victory just a honest assessment, if I where a coach and got the choice to pick Vidor or Central as my first round opponent, I would Pick Vidor. It's the easier out.... Central has better athletes, speed, and a better defense. Obviously something went wrong against Vidor, it's just my opinion. Central seems to always be that bubble team that shoulda woulda and coulda. If they finally get over the hump, the days of anyone else getting in over them other than the top 3 are over. 

I think Central has the right coach. Vidor's not the easiest offense to prepare for on a short week. I think that's what happened

46 minutes ago, Stattrax said:

I agree with you on that last part. And the only place i disagree is this year I wouldn’t be so sold on Central. Too much inconsistency.. but next year, yes they are gonna be tough to beat and a playoff team for sure!

40 minutes ago, Stattrax said:

Just to shed a little light on your opinion I would say Vidor just outright beat Central at there place with there starting QB. Nothing went wrong for them they just got beat. On top of that we were missing our starting fullback & tailback in that game against Central. Our fullback is a Big bruiser who opens a lot holes when we run inside. We were missing them  when we played y’all also. Not saying we would have won but I think it would have been a little closer. Y’all got a great team An should do well in the playoffs. I just hope we can be healthy for the playoffs. I hope y’alls QB stays healthy for the playoffs or y’all will be one an done. That’s my 2 cents! Lol!

1 hour ago, Stattrax said:

My thoughts.....

Playoff Teams should be

Central

Nederland

PAM

PNG

I have to agree , Central has to change the culture and it seems the coach is doing that. I liked seeing the DB's challenging  the PNG WR.  My only thought is even with PNG putting up 50+ RJ still has to go 4 quarters , I wonder if PNG staff don't have the confidence in backup to get the snaps in to help keep RJ healthy and away from the wear and tear.

9 minutes ago, mistro said:

I have to agree , Central has to change the culture and it seems the coach is doing that. I liked seeing the DB's challenging  the PNG WR.  My only thought is even with PNG putting up 50+ RJ still has to go 4 quarters , I wonder if PNG staff don't have the confidence in backup to get the snaps in to help keep RJ healthy and away from the wear and tear.

we see this irrational questioning every week, the backup is starter on defense that is why they Leave RJ in, Boast is out there working his tail off on defense.

1 hour ago, mistro said:

Although he is out there honestly he is just handing the ball off to backups. I often wonder why everyone questions why he's always in the game. I hear the word overused, so many times. This is high school, and I promise if his numbers go down, offers go down. Would everyone prefer to just save him for college? I could understand if he was running the ball but he's just handing the ball off. If that's what the team needs then so be it.....

Johnson stayed in the game the whole time and was taking hits late in the third.  That made no sense to me.  He was still running and scrambling at that point.  He stayed in the 4th, but to only hand the ball off..  still would've benched him.  The grand scheme would be to get that backup some snaps. Look at how it worked for us.  Phoenix didn't get hardly any snaps this year and it showed..  in blowout games, you gotta get your star player out.  Faircloth would've been kicking himself in the rear end has something happened to Boy Wonder...

Against ozen our backups started 2 half our qb and rb never seen the 2nd half it only helps down the road. far as stats we could of let them play and really look good on paper i seen some freak injuries occour over the years. When no need them to be still out there you have to also think of the future far as the playoffs, and wish the best for no injuries

10 hours ago, Stattrax said:

Although he is out there honestly he is just handing the ball off to backups. I often wonder why everyone questions why he's always in the game. I hear the word overused, so many times. This is high school, and I promise if his numbers go down, offers go down. Would everyone prefer to just save him for college? I could understand if he was running the ball but he's just handing the ball off. If that's what the team needs then so be it.....

You state that if his numbers go down his offers go down as well. All that means to me is coach cares more for His Offers than his Teams playoff run. Sorry that is crazy to me. Lord forbid if something were to happen to Shug then PN fans would have for sale signs in BF yard Again!

12 hours ago, L-Train11 said:

I agree with you on that last part. And the only place i disagree is this year I wouldn’t be so sold on Central. Too much inconsistency.. but next year, yes they are gonna be tough to beat and a playoff team for sure!

I can believe that but they still needs a coach !! At the end of the day even without ur qb u don't give up 62 points.

9 hours ago, PAT said:

You state that if his numbers go down his offers go down as well. All that means to me is coach cares more for His Offers than his Teams playoff run. Sorry that is crazy to me. Lord forbid if something were to happen to Shug then PN fans would have for sale signs in BF yard Again!

PAT I don't think our playoff run will be that deep, we cant continue to outscore everyone. If we face a team that can half a$$ throw the ball and run we will be in trouble. Right now defense gives up the yardage and points here and there. If and when we face a well balanced attack or a dominant runningback like say a Hines it might be bad mojo for us. I am hard on our defense but that is our Achilles heal we just do a poor job of tackling I don't know if it is because they try to hit high and not hit them low or what.  Guess what im saying is we can only go as far as our offense will carry us. But speed just flat out kills our defense in open space. It is what it is. After the halftime adjustments they have been doing better, I just don't know why they  wait to make the adjustments.