Why Do Governement Workers Need A Union?

Reagan

In TX there are only legal unions in police and fire and then, they aren't real unions but bargaining associations. They do have the right to organize and negotiate for pay and conditions. They cannot strike by law and by contract. There is no mandatory participation and I know several officers working in bargaining police departments that get the benefits of negotiations but do not belong to the bargaining unit. Private sector unions put out a product but they can strike without being terminated and usually have mandatory membership. In TX a strike is a sure automatic termination. 

I agree that the public sector workers should not be able to strike as they are allowed to do in some states, I believe mostly in the NE states. 

All they can do in TX is to ask for better conditions and pay and the government agency, if they agree to the conditions, signs a contact holding them to what they agreed on. The only thing the right to bargain gives is to get the city or county to at least talk about it. They aren't forced to agree on anything.  

For TVC184

This is the hidden content, please

Every day, millions of union members have money taken from their paychecks to support some union presidents’ political agenda. In 1996, Rutgers economics professor Leo Troy estimated that union political expenditures totaled about $500 million in each election cycle. More recently, the National Institute for Labor Relations Research estimated that total union political expenditures reached $925 million in the 2004 cycle. Over time, this has added up: According to The Center for Responsive Politics, eight of the top ten all-time political contributors are labor unions.

Labor leaders have made the use of employee money for political causes a popular practice — but it’s far less popular among the public and the members themselves.

• CNN exit polls showed that 38 percent of union members voted for President Bush in the 2004 election, but more than 95 percent of union funds went to support Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry.
  • 68 percent of registered voters say they are concerned that public employee unions have too much influence over politicians who, when elected, must negotiate with these groups. (FOX News Poll conducted by Anderson Robbins Research (D) and Shaw & Company Research (R) | March 14-16, 2011)

On 6/4/2017 at 8:47 PM, tvc184 said:

Are government workers different than any other workers?

From the article: "The union is known for its strong support for

candidates. It spent $28 million supporting
in the
. In 2012, SEIU was the top outside spender on Democratic campaigns, reporting almost $70 million of campaign donations, television ads and get-out-the-vote efforts in support of President Obama and other Democrats.
SEIU is a major supporter of the
and of increased minimum wage laws, including wage increases for fast food workers.
The union is the primary backer of the Fight for $15." 

If I dug deeper into this union, and probably many more, a lot of obama's "stimulus money" (Taxpayer Money!) went to unions, especially SEIU, that turned right around and went right back into the Democratic coffers.  Not sure if this happened with public unions or not.  But -- knowing how sorry obama was, it probably did happen some where along the way.

48 minutes ago, jv_coach said:

I said "our" union dues. In the last TX election I listed that in our last election our police union endorsed and supported almost 70 Republicans.  Where did you read that we didn't? 

Again, why should I  not talk to my employer about a pay and working conditions under TX law? 

If the national unions gave to the GOP, would your opinion change? If yes you are a hypocrite. I no then why bring up union support? 

55 minutes ago, 77 said:

i am all for unions but I dont think the workers dues should go to politicians that are usually the choice of the President of the unions and not the workers. JMO

I agree and some states have mandatory unions where you are obligated to pay into them whether you want to belong or not.