Obama designates two national monuments, outrages Republicans

LumRaiderFan

12 hours ago, Remmus said:

Follow the money and you will find the root of the outrage.

How is a two term president a lame duck?  I'm not saying he was the best or the worst, but he did manage to win two times in overwhelming fashion.

I think Obama's timing is impeccable. 

55 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

It is OBVIOUS that Obama is not a potus of the people.  He is satisfying his own egotistical appetite.  He is desperately trying to salvage his failed legacy.

Maybe ...but he also learned quick that republicans/conservatives weren't going to compromise on ANYTHING.  They built a stone wall and spent four years trying to stall until the next election (and lost).  That was WRONG.  The president takes a lot of heat for the inactivity of Congress, but wasn't working with people that wanted to compromise for the greater good of the people.  I must also express my dissatisfaction with how slowly his administration moved during the 1st two years when democrats controlled everything.

8 hours ago, Remmus said:

Maybe ...but he also learned quick that republicans/conservatives weren't going to compromise on ANYTHING.  They built a stone wall and spent four years trying to stall until the next election (and lost).  That was WRONG.  The president takes a lot of heat for the inactivity of Congress, but wasn't working with people that wanted to compromise for the greater good of the people.  I must also express my dissatisfaction with how slowly his administration moved during the 1st two years when democrats controlled everything.

So folks wanted to compromise on obamacare and what, implement 50% of it for the good of the people...nonsense.

Liberalism has to be defeated...not compromised with.

1 hour ago, LumRaiderFan said:

So folks wanted to compromise on obamacare and what, implement 50% of it for the good of the people...nonsense.

Liberalism has to be defeated...not compromised with.

There you go again.  A zero sum game.  Those who aren't willing to compromise are working against what our founding fathers originally designed.  Our Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are the result of the compromise of wise men.

32 minutes ago, stevenash said:

And leaders who know how to lead.

I knew that was coming.  You won't get any arguments out of me when it comes to how foreign policy was handled. Domestically, there was real leadership especially during the worst of the financial fallout.

11 hours ago, Remmus said:

I knew that was coming.  You won't get any arguments out of me when it comes to how foreign policy was handled. Domestically, there was real leadership especially during the worst of the financial fallout.

You knew it was coming?  Why?  Because it is true?  What real leadership do you think was displayed during the financial fallout and what policies were instituted that made things better?  If you believe Mr. Obama is responsible for the ensuing "recovery" from the decline ( although we have ALWAYS recovered from every economic decline regardless of who was in power) then you must also give him full and exclusive credit for the largest increase in debt ever recorded during a presidency, the only downgrade of U.S. debt ever, the largest number of people ever on food stamps, and the only 2 term president to never preside over a year of 3% or better GDP.  Are those items also reflective of "leadership"?

12 hours ago, Remmus said:

There you go again.  A zero sum game.  Those who aren't willing to compromise are working against what our founding fathers originally designed.  Our Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are the result of the compromise of wise men.

If you really want to get back to what or Framers designed, we would be eliminating most of the fed gov...I'm all in, are you?

1 hour ago, LumRaiderFan said:

If you really want to get back to what or Framers designed, we would be eliminating most of the fed gov...I'm all in, are you?

I'd be in on eliminating some of it.  We need the Feds where we can't trust the private sector to do right ..hence the EPA.  We need some regulations to keep order.  We saw what deregulating banking got us.  Department of Education needs an overhaul and greatly scaled back.  The IRS could be scaled back to a single building with simplifying the tax code.  Call me a lefty if you want.  The remarks I just made would get me chased out of any New York coffee shop.  IJS.

48 minutes ago, Remmus said:

I'd be in on eliminating some of it.  We need the Feds where we can't trust the private sector to do right ..hence the EPA.  We need some regulations to keep order.  We saw what deregulating banking got us.  Department of Education needs an overall and greatly scaled back.  The IRS could be scaled back to a single building with simplifying the tax code.  Call me a lefty if you want.  The remarks I just made would get me chased out of any New York coffee shop.  IJS.

More than $22 billion per year in new regulatory costs were imposed on Americans last year, pushing the total burden for the Obama years to exceed $100 billion annually.

The financial markets have been aware of over regulation for some time.  Hence the extremely poor stock performance for banks until they moved about 8% in the 30 days following Mr. Trumps election.  Have stated this before but it is a great example.  There is a regional bank chain in Tennessee and their CEO made the statement that they now have more compliance officers than loan officers.  You can be Centrist, Liberal, or conservative and still have to understand that this is NOTHING but counterproductive and a huge drag on our economy.  That is one of the key reasons this administration had an economic " recovery" that was about 1/2 ( in terms of GDP) of the average post recession recovery in modern times.

18 minutes ago, stevenash said:

The financial markets have been aware of over regulation for some time.  Hence the extremely poor stock performance for banks until they moved about 8% in the 30 days following Mr. Trumps election.  Have stated this before but it is a great example.  There is a regional bank chain in Tennessee and their CEO made the statement that they now have more compliance officers than loan officers.  You can be Centrist, Liberal, or conservative and still have to understand that this is NOTHING but counterproductive and a huge drag on our economy.  That is one of the key reasons this administration had an economic " recovery" that was about 1/2 ( in terms of GDP) of the average post recession recovery in modern times.

I agree with the caveat that Republicans stone walled and that hurt the economy too.  I like Trump on the economy and immigration.  I think he's bound to be another disaster with foreign policy...we'll see.  I have much love for the Clintons despite their sins, but Hillary had no new ideas for getting America rolling again.  She can shout "jobs" all day in her speeches, but she didn't present anything that would give us anything new.  Its more of the same.  Even if Trump was a democrat and faced the same congress as President Obama, Trump would get things done because he knows how to use the bully pulpit.

The "stone walling" happened on each end of the spectrum.  A Centrist ( with allegedly no political ax to grind) would seemingly grasp that.  Despite her sins, what is it that creates your "love" for Hillary Clinton? As for your theory that Trump knows how to use the bully pulpit ( and thus the inference that Obama does not) you are confirming my contention that Mr. Obama lacked certain leadership qualities.