Silsbee 35 Navasota 14/FINAL

WOSgrad

I think overall most everyone is satisfied.  But also realize that at some point we r going to need a better passing game.  It will take better execution and maybe some tweaking as well.   Many of us probably expect too much but as well as we r running the ball it's going to get harder ad harder as the teams get better in the playoffs with teams daring us to throw. 

2 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

If they make the playoffs you will need a passing game to advance. Jones and WRS need to be on the same page big time. 

You have a passing game. It just needs to be executed better. Blocks need to be better . WR need to catch the passes thrown to them and the QB has to put them there. 

32 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

You have a passing game. It just needs to be executed better. Blocks need to be better . WR need to catch the passes thrown to them and the QB has to put them there. 

There was a game earlier this year vs Newton where we dropped SEVERAL passes.  Many of them wide open passes...I agree, you have to execute, the passer and the receiver.  

Last year we didn't have a defense so anyone with a good offense could do just that.   But these kids are wanting to go all the way.  Somewhere in the playoffs especially you will need a passing game that is respected enough to,open up the field for the running game.  We have the threats, especially now with Lowe back.  We just have to put it together. Look I in no way want to say we would have been even close to beating WOS this year but last year we were right there until the end even with our defense giving up,lots of points because we could run or throw.  If we had more of a pass threat this year at least we should have been able to move the ball a little more.

24 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

El Campo had no passing game last year and came very close to beating Silsbee.

My point is this: you DONT need a better passing game. Would it help? Of course! But what you need is a good run game along with a strong defense. Which seems to what coach is building on.

Good point...

3 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Last year we didn't have a defense so anyone with a good offense could do just that.   But these kids are wanting to go all the way.  Somewhere in the playoffs especially you will need a passing game that is respected enough to,open up the field for the running game.  We have the threats, especially now with Lowe back.  We just have to put it together. Look I in no way want to say we would have been even close to beating WOS this year but last year we were right there until the end even with our defense giving up,lots of points because we could run or throw.  If we had more of a pass threat this year at least we should have been able to move the ball a little more.

. .but keep in mind that we got in the red zone 4 times that night.  That's 28 points left on the field...

Coach smith knows what he is doing, he's a smart man. He's got good athletes on defense and they are getting better every week. Could have almost been a shut out against Navasota from what I hear.

Offense can make deep runs, but DEFENSE wins championships... just ask WOS. And yes, i know they have a high caliber offense as well. But let's not forget they "only" scored 22 points in the State Championship game last year. 

To Silsbee fans 22 points is a poor offensive performance, to them it meant a nice big ring! 

12 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Yes and a dependable passing game might have opened it up a little better to score or even have produced a score.  Remember the execution point I think it was this game where I heard or read that we dropped two that could have been tds.

We dropped one wide open TD that game.  The other one I think was well defended by the WO-S defender...