Baytown Sterling Announces Coordinators

By Michael Pineda 

This is the hidden content, please
 | 
This is the hidden content, please

The picture is becoming clearer for the Sterling football program as new coaches have been announced in recent weeks.

New head coach Brett Sawyer said the new coaches include his new coordinators for the upcoming season. Veteran coach Gary Brewton will join the staff after his most recent stint at Bridge City to take the reigns as offensive coordinator. Lance Bryan has been named defensive coordinator and coached with Sawyer at Hutto.

Brewton has over 20 years of experience coaching and brings a veteran presence. He spent the past year as a defensive coach at Hamshire-Fannett. Prior to that, he joined the Bridge City staff in 2012 after a stint at Beaumont Ozen where he coached one of the more prolific offenses in the area. Brewton has also coached at Deweyville, Spring Dekaney and Kelly High School.

“From what I know about him, he is good about putting a scheme together and he is good with assistant coaches,” Sawyer said. 

Sawyer said Brewton has run a variation of what the Rangers want to do and the two have been working on putting it all together as the team prepares to open it up this season.

Bryan is no stranger to Sawyer, have worked with him on the defensive staff at Hutto. Bryan has worked as defensive coordinator with a specialty on defensive backs and has previous stops at Jasper, Carthage and as a student assistant at Hardin Simmons.

Sawyer said there are not a lot of signals called on the defensive side of the ball but the two have shared the duties previously in the 4-3.

“We are pretty basic,” he said. “I’m not sure if I will do it or let Lance. I have called the front and he has called the back. It depends on what we want to do. He will be more in charge of the day-to-day operations.”

Bryan will also be in charge of the offseason program.

Mike McDonald will also join the staff as a wide receiver coach. McDonald is coming from Tomball.

“He is the most experienced coach I have hired,” Sawyer said. “He’s worked with Brewton before and I thought it would be a good fit to have them together. 

“The other new guys are good as well. We have been fortunate to bring in some good new coaches this late.”

Other new coaches include Allen Singleton, who was at Aldine last year but did not coach at that stop. He will be in charge of defensive ends. Rodney Lemons is coming from Clear Brook and will coach the freshman team. Sawyer said there is one opening remaining on the staff at linebacker coach.

The staff will attend coaching clinics next week and prepare for the start of drills on Aug. 1.