George Will Leaves the Republican Party

TxHoops

I know this is somewhat old news but haven't seen it discussed.  One of the most brilliant conservative minds in the GOP has had enough.  I don't often agree with him but he's always been one of my favorite columnists, conservative or liberal.  Trump calling Will a dummy is is like Gloria Steinam calling the Donald a feminist.  He really is a little child.  

This is the hidden content, please

I'm sorry to hear that, although I'll show my ignorance by admitting I'm not personally familiar with his writings.  I'm sorry because the GOP is in chaos and can ill afford to lose someone of that caliber.  I'm sorry (amazed, in disbelief, confused, and sad) that in this great nation of 300,000,000 people, the best two candidates WE nominated for president is Trump and Hillary.  But I respect his decision.  I doubt I'm the only one of either party, who, after voting, will feel the need to go home and wash their hands.

8 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I know this is somewhat old news but haven't seen it discussed.  One of the most brilliant conservative minds in the GOP has had enough.  I don't often agree with him but he's always been one of my favorite columnists, conservative or liberal.  Trump calling Will a dummy is is like Gloria Steinam calling the Donald a feminist.  He really is a little child.  

Hoops, I quoted you to get your attention.  I've never remember Ever seeing something like this, and would like your opinion.   

Very curious to know why you like him so well if you disagreed with him most of the time?

3 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Very curious to know why you like him so well if you disagreed with him most of the time?

I guess for several reasons.  He is a brilliant guy and a great "thinker."  He has never been hemmed in according to party lines but I've always believed him to be a man of great conviction.  He also happens to be, in my opinion, maybe the greatest political columnists of his time based upon his literary talent.  Maybe it's a personal thing but I don't know that I've ever read one of his columns that didn't interest me. His writing seems to fit my eye.  

I discovered him as a boy when I read one of his baseball books.  I've read him almost religiously since. 

And besides Nash, I don't have to often agree with someone to like them.  After all, I've always liked you ;)

16 minutes ago, REBgp said:

Hoops, I quoted you to get your attention.  I've never remember Ever seeing something like this, and would like your opinion.   

It happens from time to time but I also believe it to be very improper.  Anyone would know who RBG is voting for so I don't know why she wouldn't simply decline to answer questions about any candidate.  As I've said, it's happened before and it isn't expressly forbidden.  But as the article notes, the problem it could create is the one of conflict of interest.  And as litigious as the Donald is, I would say it is very possible that he might eventually have a case before the Court.  And now, if that happens, she would most certainly have to recuse herself.  In that court, it could make a difference in the outcome of such a case.  

Just a bad idea in general.  But what can I say, you old folks have a problem holding your tongue at times ;)

21 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

It happens from time to time but I also believe it to be very improper.  Anyone would know who RBG is voting for so I don't know why she wouldn't simply decline to answer questions about any candidate.  As I've said, it's happened before and it isn't expressly forbidden.  But as the article notes, the problem it could create is the one of conflict of interest.  And as litigious as the Donald is, I would say it is very possible that he might eventually have a case before the Court.  And now, if that happens, she would most certainly have to recuse herself.  In that court, it could make a difference in the outcome of such a case.  

Just a bad idea in general.  But what can I say, you old folks have a problem holding your tongue at times ;)

Why is she worried about Trump?  Isn't it the Supreme Court that winds interpreting/making law?

11 hours ago, TxHoops said:

lol, you twit, I'm only 22, or something like that :) 

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

I find it interesting that a well known Republican has the guts to stand up and complain about who represents his party.  When is the last time a Democrat did that?

I'm thinking the whistleblower found murdered that baddog posted about.

4 hours ago, stevenash said:

I find it interesting that a well known Republican has the guts to stand up and complain about who represents his party.  When is the last time a Democrat did that?

Valid point.  I always respected the man for his intelligence.  Now I respect him for his...well, you know...as well. 

Valid point.  I always respected the man for his intelligence.  Now I respect him for his...well, you know...as well. 

Your comment suggests  quite strongly ( contrary to the belief of much of the left) that intellectual superiority is not  the exclusive province of the left.

49 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Your comment suggests  quite strongly ( contrary to the belief of much of the left) that intellectual superiority is not  the exclusive province of the left.

Funny, the overwhelming majority of the pejorative terms on this board pertaining to one's intelligence come from righties and are directed toward the left...

i think you comment may reveal your own belief or knowledge that the majority of the scholarly are to the left...and congrats, you would be correct.  

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Funny, the overwhelming majority of the pejorative terms on this board pertaining to one's intelligence come from righties and are directed toward the left...

i think you comment may reveal your own belief or knowledge that the majority of the scholarly are to the left...and congrats, you would be correct.  

What my comment reveals( from my "unenlightened" perspective) is that in more cases than not, when interacting with lefties, they are fully convinced that their positions, determinations, and values come from a more "objective", more "reasoned" and more deeply "analyzed" position and I am very confident that, in actuality, they are no different than anyone else.  Just as business success has nothing to do with party affiliation, I believe that neither does intelligence.  I have a very close personal friend who is a highly decorated Ivy League grad and served in the House of Representatives , was a highly acclaimed Broadway star, and served as the Director of International Goodwill.  From my unworldly perspective, I consider him to be the "smartest guy I know".   In speaking with my intelligent friend on the phone the other day,( and he is considerably more" worldly" than most) he told me that Newt Gingrich was amongst those who he considers the smartest people he knows.  And old simple me is compelled to believe there is much credibility to his assertion.  As for your last sentence, it is fairly "revealing" in and of itself.   Put me down as one who believes it is not possible to totally "quantify" intelligence.

42 minutes ago, stevenash said:

What my comment reveals( from my "unenlightened" perspective) is that in more cases than not, when interacting with lefties, they are fully convinced that their positions, determinations, and values come from a more "objective", more "reasoned" and more deeply "analyzed" position and I am very confident that, in actuality, they are no different than anyone else.  Just as business success has nothing to do with party affiliation, I believe that neither does intelligence.  I have a very close personal friend who is a highly decorated Ivy League grad and served in the House of Representatives , was a highly acclaimed Broadway star, and served as the Director of International Goodwill.  From my unworldly perspective, I consider him to be the "smartest guy I know".   In speaking with my intelligent friend on the phone the other day,( and he is considerably more" worldly" than most) he told me that Newt Gingrich was amongst those who he considers the smartest people he knows.  And old simple me is compelled to believe there is much credibility to his assertion.  As for your last sentence, it is fairly "revealing" in and of itself.   Put me down as one who believes it is not possible to totally "quantify" intelligence.

Agree...the universities are full of PhDs that teach theory and couldn't run a business to save their life...and the vast majority are left.

I deal with engineers all the time, some are great at the job and some are not and never will be.

I also deal with guys that work in the field with no degree, again, some are great at the job, some never will be.

Degrees don't make anyone "smarter", it simply prepares one better for a specific task.

3 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I knew a guy in high school with a 96 average, couldn't change a flat tire......seriously.

I think there is intelligence on both sides. No denying that. What we need is someone with kahunas, which leaves Hillary out. She may wish for a pair.

1 hour ago, baddog said:

I knew a guy in high school with a 96 average, couldn't change a flat tire......seriously.

I think there is intelligence on both sides. No denying that. What we need is someone with kahunas, which leaves Hillary out. She may wish for a pair.

I guess you have forgotten about that President with "kahunas." Shock and Awe."  We will be recovering from that fiasco for a very long time. Yall wanna go in tanks and troops and think you're gonna destroy the enemy. The enemy don't survive off the buffalo like the Native Americans did.

7 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

I guess you have forgotten about that President with "kahunas." Shock and Awe."  We will be recovering from that fiasco for a very long time. Yall wanna go in tanks and troops and think you're gonna destroy the enemy. The enemy don't survive off the buffalo like the Native Americans did.

Then, you are endorsing the current "methods" and feel they are productive?