National Signing Day is today!

NDFan09

2 minutes ago, OldTimer said:

I knew that A&M would not have the best recruiting year due to the year end issues that A&M faced  - still better than I thought it might be under the circumstances.

My surprise is Texas and how well they are doing - congrats to Texa hope it equates to more on the field wins

OT you realize that recruiting classes do not always equate to wins. 

2 minutes ago, OldTimer said:

Most definitely - just hope for Texa fans that Strong is not the new Mack Brown

The reason A&M didn't recruit as well isn't because of what's going on, it's because it's A&M. Aggy made their own bed when they went to the SEC to escape Texas and made some headway because of it, mainly due to a player who wished he could've gone to Texas ironically. There's not enough kids that care about A&M's facilities and playing in the SEC to make that constant propaganda line stand up. Kids see A&M getting whipped on a regular basis, the difference when they see Texas lose is that they know there's a chance they can make a difference if they buy in. They also starting to see A&M for what it's always been and will continue to be in the SEC which is a middle of the road program capable of having good years sporadically. Sumlin's pull is wearing off and recruits now see they have to come live in College Station while winning 6-8 games a year.

The Mack Brown comment has 0 validity if you follow recruiting. Mack was the king of the early commits which often pushed players ranking without any real substance. Charlie has been ridden two straight years for not getting commits earlier, instead he prefers to put more emphasis on senior year evaluations. For instance, Mack had a kid named Johnny Shaw from Center/WOS committed from early on in his high school career. Anybody who watched his film saw he wasn't at the elite high school safety level, so when Charlie comes in he pulls his offer which infuriated some, he got the "he doesn't know what he's doing" wrap . Turns out the kid was only good enough to go to La. Tech after further evaluations by other recruiters. Would have been a non-contributor at Texas, instead he flips PJ Locke from Oregon at the 11th hour and Locke plays as a true freshman.  

Mack was a salesman and a southern gentleman, Charlie just a football coach. Like I said a couple of weeks ago, if Aggy can't out-recruit Texas while they're down right now they're the ones that are probably in more trouble than if Texas couldn't out-recruit Aggy. Just think about when Texas starts winning and picking up 25 commitments on 30-something offers like they were doing during the '06 and '09 title game years.    

4 minutes ago, bulldogbacker said:

And how many defensive recruits?

Might as well just let PhatMack make it. He's the only Aggy fan on here that isn't delusional and I know it's not the best of days for him. I respect his takes even if we don't agree, now Als-Timer on the other hand . . . . I wonder?

31 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The reason A&M didn't recruit as well isn't because of what's going on, it's because it's A&M. Aggy made their own bed when they went to the SEC to escape Texas and made some headway because of it, mainly due to a player who wished he could've gone to Texas ironically. There's not enough kids that care about A&M's facilities and playing in the SEC to make that constant propaganda line stand up. Kids see A&M getting whipped on a regular basis, the difference when they see Texas lose is that they know there's a chance they can make a difference if they buy in. They also starting to see A&M for what it's always been and will continue to be in the SEC which is a middle of the road program capable of having good years sporadically. Sumlin's pull is wearing off and recruits now see they have to come live in College Station while winning 6-8 games a year.

The Mack Brown comment has 0 validity if you follow recruiting. Mack was the king of the early commits which often pushed players ranking without any real substance. Charlie has been ridden two straight years for not getting commits earlier, instead he prefers to put more emphasis on senior year evaluations. For instance, Mack had a kid named Johnny Shaw from Center/WOS committed from early on in his high school career. Anybody who watched his film saw he wasn't at the elite high school safety level, so when Charlie comes in he pulls his offer which infuriated some, he got the "he doesn't know what he's doing" wrap . Turns out the kid was only good enough to go to La. Tech after further evaluations by other recruiters. Would have been a non-contributor at Texas, instead he flips PJ Locke from Oregon at the 11th hour and Locke plays as a true freshman.  

Mack was a salesman and a southern gentleman, Charlie just a football coach. Like I said a couple of weeks ago, if Aggy can't out-recruit Texas while they're down right now they're the ones that are probably in more trouble than if Texas couldn't out-recruit Aggy. Just think about when Texas starts winning and picking up 25 commitments on 30-something offers like they were doing during the '06 and '09 title game years.    

Sorry Coug - still gotta disagree with almost everything in all 3 paragraphs - lol

51 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Might as well just let PhatMack make it. He's the only Aggy fan on here that isn't delusional and I know it's not the best of days for him. I respect his takes even if we don't agree, now Als-Timer on the other hand . . . . I wonder?

Yeah I am old - let me remind you that I have forgot more about the game of football than you will ever know - lol

But if you  think that A&M year end issues were not a big deal - I have relatives that know the parents of one player that swapped his commitment from A&M and the anti-A&M sales pitch was (1) look at what is happening at A&M when 2 5 star players both decide to leave and (2) Sumlin is very likely gone after this next year (one i quite likely agree with) - and it is my understanding that it was pitched hard.

Another good recruiting year for Texas and an average one for A&M - we will both have to wait and see if you are right and the A&M train jumps the tracks of if I am right and this is just a bump in the road for A&M on the way to respectability - as always time will tell.

I think that we both agree that if Sumlin fails to win over 1/2 of his SEC games again this year he may well be gone - and I will not shed any tears if he is not there in 2017.

50 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

OU currently sits outside of the Top 20.   They have 20 commits with only 3 from Texas.  This is a big change from years past when most of their players were from our state.  TCU, Baylor, and A&M have put a huge dent in Big Game Bob's recruiting in Texas.  

Very true.